• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Camera Raw as a Filter (not the plugin) freezes Photoshop on use

Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2023 Feb 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My photoshop is getting stuck whenever I try to use the camera raw filter; nothing opens up after I click on it, and I can't even close my photoshop. everything gets stuck and a sound like a notification comes up, but still, nothing shows up 

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Apr 23, 2024 Apr 23, 2024

Update: May 1 2024

The PS team has reopened this bug due to a small number of reporters on this thread who say the issue is not fixed for them. 

Critical to getting a fix for this is more information from those of you for whom the release did not fix your issue.  Exact Reproduction steps would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

Previous:
Adobe has released Photoshop 25.7, which contains a potential fix for the PS>Filter> Camera Raw Filter… freezing Photoshop. Please install the update from your Creative

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 107 Replies 107
107 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2024 Mar 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only ever use 1 monitor and it happens daily- and has for over a year at least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I 7 years I have used Photoshop on probably half a dozen different computers, both Mac and Windows, single and dual displays, and have never had this happen. So its not a universal bug, its something specific to your computer(s).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Lumigraphics That is my experience as well. I use Camera Raw as a filter several times a day 7 different machines (Mac and Win) hooked to single and multiple monitors and have never had this happen. 

Without reproducible steps to get a machine into that state, it will likely remain difficult to identify. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, perhaps now that it's been over SEVEN YEARS of this same issues happening - sonetimes daily - to users, it might be worth them putting in some effort to either replicate it, or speak to users one-on-one about their devices etc to see a common thread. Adobe has the ability to take over systems, so you can't tell me there isn't a way to figure it out. It seems as though they just don't seem to bother as this exact issue comes up year after year after year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Photoshop since V2. This unexplained freezing is the first bug I've seen go unaddressed by Adobe for 7 years. It is a real problem, and I'm sure countless others don't report it. I didn't report it for the first few years, as these things usually get fixed, but here we are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, have you tried opening CR with the shortcut command from Photoshop? I am not sure if it's a coincidence, but it usually freezes doing this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, describes exactly what I experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 20, 2024 Mar 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Lumigraphics I have a new Mac almost every year to 1.5 years so I can say for sure it is NOT computer specific! The fact that it does not happen to some people does not mean the problem does not reside on Adobe's side. Computers and software are rather complex, so I won't make the clame that sometimes the problem resides with the hardware but after so many years, so many updates and the diversity of computers people use we can rule this out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk Flohr: Photography 

I have been thinking about this. Making it hard to reproduce makes it hard to diagnose. Fine, we understand. So what happens now is nobody is fixing the problem. This can't be the end solution, right.

Suggestion: Even though you can't reproduce the problem to fix it, you know what happens to everyone. There is this Camera Raw Filter Progress bar that always pops up from the background to the foreground. Can this behaviour not be changed to just not have this progress bar present anymore? If it's not there it can't interfere anymore. 

It is easy to reproduce this progress bar. Just create a new document with 20.000x20.000 pixels. (before everyone begins shouting, NO, this also happens with normal small documents, this is just an easy way to reproduce) Convert layer to smart object. CMD+Shift+A for the Camera Raw Filter. You will see this progress bar pop-up and once it's loaded the window itself goes behind the Camera Raw Filter window. It stays there until you're finished (just drag the window on the side and you'll see it lurking there). So what happens with us that have this issue is that the progress bar window sometimes pops in front of the Camera Raw Filter window and then it's stuck there and we can't click anything anymore. 
So, even if you can't reproduce the issue on itself, Adobe could remove this progress bar window instead of hiding it. If it's not there anymore it should also get rid of this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@nunog44246703  No difference whether I use the interface or a KBSC. 

Lacking any detailed reproducible steps for getting a machine into this state, there isn't much more I can do here.  If anyone can list a set of step-by-step instructions that reliably reproduce the UI state, I am happy to make another attempt, and if reproduced, write a bug for the team to investigate. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2024 Mar 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a video clip of this bug, just filmed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2024 Mar 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can say that one way I can usually reproduce this happening, is if I make several layers of the background, turn each one into a smart layer and add a camera raw filter to each one from the bottom layer all the way to the top. Then go back and try to RE-OPEN the very first layer with camera raw filter applied. This almost ALWAYS freezes things up for me. It seems like smart objects are particularly vulnerable to it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 22, 2024 Mar 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue, it's been doing this for long time. Lost a lot of work because of it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 22, 2024 Mar 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you have a transform active? Or just showing transform handles?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 23, 2024 Mar 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you to all who recently contributed additional information and videos showcasing this issue. One of the engineers on the Camera Raw team was able to reproduce the issue with some consistency. The Camera Raw team will work with Photoshop to resolve this issue. 

Update 3/25/2024: This issue has been resolved as a Photoshop bug, not a Camera Raw bug. The thread has been moved from the Camera Raw forums to the Photoshop Ecosystem Forums. 

Moving this thread back to Bugs, setting the status to Investigating. 

Update: Moved to Photoshop Bugs

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2024 Mar 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG... Finally filed as a bug. Allelujah! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2024 Mar 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

estou com o mesmo problema

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 01, 2024 Apr 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2024-04-02 054341.pngIMG_6623.jpgSo using external display is the problem. the issue can be resolved when you set the display settings to extended monitor so the both display will be open and now try to open the camera raw, the tab will be open in another display not in the main display. this issuse caused because of switching the main display options again and again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2024 Apr 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Sam Jason Myself and colleagues work with Mac's. This also happens with everyone only using 1 monitor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2024 Apr 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't own a second monitor and have this issue daily. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 02, 2024 Apr 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you scroll up, Rikk posted that Adobe has identified the issue and at this point we will have to wait for their engineers to release a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 08, 2024 Apr 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You sir are a saint! Thank you. This worked. It has plagued me for months.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 09, 2024 Apr 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same thing happening to me in April 2024 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Apr 09, 2024 Apr 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is driving me NUTS!  I have long edits and now I cant go back and open the filter.   I cant believe this has been going on since 2023 and still no fix!  This is UNACCEPTABLE for a professional pay software! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2024 Apr 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue has not been resolved. Please do something about it for gods sake. This is so important filter!

Votes

Translate

Translate