• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Completely broken Hand tool (PS24.5) Hand Tool Sticking, sticky, not seeing mouse-up

Enthusiast ,
Jun 19, 2023 Jun 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a bug. Please don't move it to the Discussions tab.

And please don't merge into another unrelated thread. I will report a bug with this thread.

------------------------------------

I made a YouTube video using a keyboard mouse overlay to show what action I'm taking. I hope you can refer to refer to it.

https://youtu.be/Cle6dEgP5_Y

------------------------------------

I was disappointed that there were so many bugs that were not fixed in 24.5, but I was still trying to give it a shot.

However, this bug is pretty serious. Really...

Please see the video I attached.
If you watch the video, you will see that I am shaking the screen.
I'm not using a hand tool, it should release automatically, but that thing is sticky.

To release this sticky, pinned handtool, you'll need to make one more unconditional click.

Here's how I've organized them for your reference.

< What I can be sure of >

1. Window10 (Tested a total of 14 PCs)
  2. Use WacomTablet
  3. Not related to preferences at all (Especially not related to Spring loaded, Flick panning stuff things)
  4. I've tried all the known Photoshop troubleshooting methods and no improvement.
  5. Even reinstalling Windows does the same thing
  6. Only in 24.5 does this bug occur with certainty. I can't reproduce it at all in earlier versions.

I'm not sure about the >

1. Mac OS not tested
  2. I couldn't even test if it was a GPU company difference. I and my team all use NVIDIA

And while there are a few threads pointing this out, there doesn't seem to be a proper plan to fix it.

If this is not fixed in 24.6, 24.6 will be equally unusable as 24.5.

Also check out the links below.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/hand-tool-lock-after-releasing-spaceb...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/some-ps-tools-keep-reading-wacom-pen-after-l...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/hand-tool-won-t-let-go-of-image/m-p/1...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/24-5-impossible-to-use-with-wacom-intuos-on-...

(cjbutler 1/12/24: edited title from "not reverting to cursor" to "not seeing mouse up" to reflect latest focus on lost mouse-up as root cause, and not just a stale cursor setting.)

Bug Fixed Locked
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 04, 2024 Jun 04, 2024

We wanted to update this thread that the issue was fixed with the release of 25.6. If you are still having this issue with the most recent Ps version, please start a new thread with your information so the team can investigate further.

Thanks,

Cory - Photoshop Product Manager

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 637 Replies 637
637 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 30, 2023 Nov 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> For the uninitiated, what changed between 24.7 and 25.0 that means you no longer see "WM_LBUTTONUP"

OS updates. Driver updates. 1000's of changes to the Photoshop code.

Also: we think this issue has been happening since 22.3, just less frequently and to fewer people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> My work computer does not have any fancy gaming equipment. The mouse I'd been using for the last year comes from the cheapest kit that money can buy (under $20 for the Logitech keyboard/mouse combo). It seems it was more likely to happen when the mouse was moved quickly.

I believe Logitech mice may have a custom device driver. This is what interprets the mouse-hardware and generates events which are handed off to the Windows OS, which in turn, packages it up and hands it off to Photoshop.

If anyone has access to a basic Microsoft USB Optical mouse (About us$10), that uses the Microsoft Driver, and can reproduce the problem, that would be good to know (and will probably exhaust this avenue of investigation)

BUT - if we CAN reproduce with something like a Razer mouse with variable sample rate, that would be extremely helpful, since at that point we would be able pursue debugging and possible workarounds with something where we could verify any changes we make to address the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does one contact a Community Manager?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@CJButtler: Cool, thank tyou for the descritption of the logging capabilities.

I did as instructed and here is the log:

https://www.pastel.cz/temp/PS_Logs.zip

I can create a new bug if neccessary, but it seems appropriate to post it here.

I tried just to pan around using the Space key + left mouse button. Started event log, use the tool a few times and once it happened (mouse released, but the tool is stuck) I waited a few seconds, canceled the tool by pressing Esc and then headed into menu and stopped logging (using mouse to navigate in the menu). There seemed to be several new logs, so just to be safe I packed all of them, but they seem kinda overlapping. It is probably safe just to examine the last one... I guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does one contact a Community Manager?

Ordinarily I would have said Cory, Caity, or Pete, but I just found out they are being rotated off Community Management duties. I'm not sure who the new community managers are yet. In the meantime, you can send me a direct PM.

I'm mostly interesting in dissecting the last part of the Event Log, something that begins with:

>>> Starting a Trace for a Mouse Down Event >>>

and ends with 

... End Trace for Mouse Down Event. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vit,

Thanks very much for that log file!

Sure enough, no WM_LBUTTONUP is seen by the Tracker code. We can see the key-up event as you take your hand off the space bar, and then a lot of TrackContinue calls.

I do see a WM_POINTERDOWN followed by WM_LBUTTONDOWN when you initiate the gesture. Are you by chance using a tablet/pen? Just for clarification.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@CJButtler: Thank you, I am glad it is useful. I have a Wacom tablet, but for this test I only used a Logitech mouse.

But just to clarify: The Wacom drivers are installed there and also there are two mice connected each with a different driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Vit Kovalcik Yes, that log file is interesting. I do see earlier mouse-down-mouse-up sequences where the WM_LBUTTONUP is seen by the Tracker code and the gesture is properly terminated. Those earlier sequences are how it is supposed to work, and that's what we see in our testing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@CJButler Thanks for the instrumented build! My system, as I mentioned, spontaneously stopped showing the issue, but an upgrade (I think) has always made it come back, so hopefully I can soon add to the diagnostics for you.

The strange sometimes-bad sometimes-good switching gave me thought that I don't think anyone has mentioned. I have never seen PS suddenly start working properly when it's been bad; and I've never see it suddenly start going wrong once it's been working correctly. An instance of PS (for me) will be always good, or always bad and never flips between the two.

So is it something that's being set up in process initialisation that is causing this? Some microsecond level timing difference changing a sequence? (Sorry for telling you stuff you undoubtedly have thought of - my old developer background here...) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue constantly comes up for me even in PS 25.2. The latest verseion that didn't have this issue was 24.1.1.

I tried to delete Keyboard Shortcuts file from PS settings and that solved the issue temporarily, but it came back shortly after.

Perhaps it's time for Adobe to work closely with the people who have the issue and put a real effort into resolving it. I bet there are many more users who suffer from it than just those who posted here. What's the use in having new features if all the new versions of PS are impossible to work in for a year.

Windows 10 Pro 64GB i7 RTX4070Ti + Wacom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add I was getting the error with my Wacom, but I *do* have Logitech mouse installed on the system. It was also present for me in v22/23 but resetting preferences several times finally put it to bed.
Very odd.

[personal information removed]

--

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2023 Dec 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To me it happens with both my mouse (old Logitech) and with the Wacom Tablet. I also reverted to old Wacom drivers - that didn't help.

Furthermore I use many 3D apps (incl. Substance Painter and Blender - and there I'm drawing with GreasePencil) and other painting apps (Krita, OurPaint, Rebelle 5). None have this problem at all. So altogether it seems very unlikely to be drivers or general Windows problems.

In my impression PS switches sometimes from working fine for hours to having the bug. It never switches back. I'll keep an eye on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 02, 2023 Dec 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just upgraded to 25.2.. still occuring. This is driving me INSANE!! PLEASE FIX ADOBE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@CJButler Well, I upgraded to 25.2, which I expected would provoke the issue to return on my system, and of course it didn't. I will leave the logging flags set and if the problem does recur I will try to contribute ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And my theory that an instance of PS never flips between bad and good just died. I was working fine (25.2), applied a Nik Effects filter to an image, and bang, image dragging.

So I exited to get a clean environment for some debug logging, and of course now everything works perfectly again. Of course it does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Shouldn't you be fixing it or something. It's completely unproductive. Transform tool, hand tool and zoom are sooo unconfortable to use any more, and unfortunately I use them all the time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 06, 2023 Dec 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd recommend reaching out directly to Adobe's support team or posting on their official forums

We're paying close attention to this thread and the data that is being provided by Users who can reproduce reliably. The current status is unchanged and is up-to-date with my last Pinned Reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This only started for me with about 25.0.  I've sure been hoping it would go away soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@RobinJean To be exact, it's after version 24.5. To avoid this bug, use an older version. No problem with version 24.0.1....

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 11, 2023 Dec 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I'm also getting this problem: Version 25.2.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Dec 11, 2023 Dec 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Paul22925304csps  Yes. I also installed 25.2, tested it, and immediately rolled back.
It lasts longer than I thought. I wrote this thread because I expected it to be fixed as a hotfix in a month or two. But It's 2024 in a few weeks.............. =(

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 12, 2023 Dec 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to be a recurrent issue - one version will have the bug and then another won't. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2023 Dec 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ver. 25.3.1

Still happening, not as awfully often as 25.1, but it persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 16, 2023 Dec 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version: 25.3.1

Still happening but slightly less frequent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2023 Dec 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not less frequently for me.  I did some path blur after this update.  Good grief!!!  
Trouble for me is I tend to forget it's there and I'll be going fast in some editing and sudenly everything is just goofey.  Ctl-Z Ctl-Z...

Votes

Translate

Translate