• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Completely broken Hand tool (PS24.5) Hand Tool Sticking, sticky, not seeing mouse-up

Enthusiast ,
Jun 19, 2023 Jun 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a bug. Please don't move it to the Discussions tab.

And please don't merge into another unrelated thread. I will report a bug with this thread.

------------------------------------

I made a YouTube video using a keyboard mouse overlay to show what action I'm taking. I hope you can refer to refer to it.

https://youtu.be/Cle6dEgP5_Y

------------------------------------

I was disappointed that there were so many bugs that were not fixed in 24.5, but I was still trying to give it a shot.

However, this bug is pretty serious. Really...

Please see the video I attached.
If you watch the video, you will see that I am shaking the screen.
I'm not using a hand tool, it should release automatically, but that thing is sticky.

To release this sticky, pinned handtool, you'll need to make one more unconditional click.

Here's how I've organized them for your reference.

< What I can be sure of >

1. Window10 (Tested a total of 14 PCs)
  2. Use WacomTablet
  3. Not related to preferences at all (Especially not related to Spring loaded, Flick panning stuff things)
  4. I've tried all the known Photoshop troubleshooting methods and no improvement.
  5. Even reinstalling Windows does the same thing
  6. Only in 24.5 does this bug occur with certainty. I can't reproduce it at all in earlier versions.

I'm not sure about the >

1. Mac OS not tested
  2. I couldn't even test if it was a GPU company difference. I and my team all use NVIDIA

And while there are a few threads pointing this out, there doesn't seem to be a proper plan to fix it.

If this is not fixed in 24.6, 24.6 will be equally unusable as 24.5.

Also check out the links below.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/hand-tool-lock-after-releasing-spaceb...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/some-ps-tools-keep-reading-wacom-pen-after-l...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/hand-tool-won-t-let-go-of-image/m-p/1...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/24-5-impossible-to-use-with-wacom-intuos-on-...

(cjbutler 1/12/24: edited title from "not reverting to cursor" to "not seeing mouse up" to reflect latest focus on lost mouse-up as root cause, and not just a stale cursor setting.)

Bug Fixed Locked
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 04, 2024 Jun 04, 2024

We wanted to update this thread that the issue was fixed with the release of 25.6. If you are still having this issue with the most recent Ps version, please start a new thread with your information so the team can investigate further.

Thanks,

Cory - Photoshop Product Manager

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 637 Replies 637
637 Comments
Community Expert ,
Sep 16, 2023 Sep 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@D Fosse I haven't had that issue with both 24.7 or 25.0, running both on Windows 10 and Windows 11, although I have seen many threads about it on the forum, so it does seem to be an issue for some people.

When I installed version 25.0 it brought over my preferences from version 24.7 and everything worked fine, which actually surprised me.

Can't remember a new version carrying over the preferences correctly but it did with version 25.0, not having any issue with version 25.0 at the moment, seems pretty stable at the moment for me at least

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, and I have to say, this is the first real bug I have struggled with. By that I mean that it couldn't be easily worked around, and thus stood in the way of getting actual work done. There have been minor inconveniences, but they have all been easily bypassed or avoided.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least the UIColor mod is still working on the Share Button 😁

2023-09-16 12_03_14-.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-completely-broken-hand-tool-ps24-5-hand-to...

I also reported on this, and I talked about the reset-related part you mentioned in the middle of the thread.

If it's solved with a single reset, it makes sense.
But it really doesn't make sense that it's solved by multiple resets. But it's even stranger that it works....
Very weird.
And I also mailed it to Adobe team, and I also left it in the thread, but this wasn't just a matter of personal setup for the user.
Even if I reinstall Windows and install Photoshop cleanly without touching anything, that bug was reproduced right after 24.5 version... I told them that something was already damaged from the installation file from version 24.5 or later. And they seem to have embraced it. I don't know if that'll be the solution to the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be a bit early to tell, but I've made one change that seems to have helped. I'll report back in a day or two but encourage others to try this:

Go to your mouse properties in Windows (Win 10 for me), and make sure 'Double-click speed' is set to Slow. I've dragged it all the way to the left which as as Slow as is possible and have noticed a difference since doing so. Remember to restart PS!

On a related note, I have a gaming mouse with a very high DPI/sensitivity, and I think I'm using generic Windows drivers for it as I don't need all of the additional fancy features. I may try installing a new driver for it but in the meantime, it would be good for others to try it out also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 17, 2023 Sep 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont know why this works, but it does for me. Windows 10 with the latest update (1st release of PS 2024)

-Solus

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 17, 2023 Sep 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be clear. it was this solution below ------------------------------------------------------

Here is what I did yesterday. It worked for me and my other team member and we use the Wacom tablets and mouse on a PC. I'm not to tech savvy but I hope this works for those of you still frustrated.

Update to the newest photoshop and close out
Open - C:\Users\YOUR NAME\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2023\Adobe Photoshop 2023 Settings
Cut and paste – “Adobe Photoshop 2023 Prefs.psp” to your desktop
Keep this folder open as you’ll come back to it.
Open PS and go to Edit – Preferences – Performance and Uncheck [Use graphics processor] and click OK.

Open old file or creat a new one.

Then go to Filter – Distort and open any of the filters and then Close by “Xing” out in the top right corner. – I did not select OK.
Check the "Use graphics processor" checkbox again close PS
Cut and paste from the desktop – “Adobe Photoshop 2023 Prefs.psp” Back into the folder on your C Drive
Restart photoshop and hopefully this is the fix!

May the Odds be Ever in Your Favor!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2023 Sep 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Issac23625617zdxl ritual apparently worked O_o I had to restart the computer before Photoshop actually loaded the pasted again pref file but other than that... Works so far. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your solution really worked, when I reduced the "Double-click speed" in the mouse tuning section to the lowest level. Very surprising. Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't spent as much time in PS as I'd like but so far, it's still working for me too. It must have something to do with the way Photoshop is or isn't detecting whether buttons are held down/clicked etc. Perhaps it's worth one of their tech team increasing "Double-click" speed to maximum (in Windows) so that they can try to reproduce the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isaac's solution worked for me without any changes to the speed (I have double click speed set one notch above the middle).

I think it might be connected to this spring-loaded tool shortcuts bs. It is definitely responsible for the hand tool lag after releasing spacebar (after the Isaac's ritual).

Anyways, it seems to work, so thank you so very much @Issac23625617zdxl!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Sep 19, 2023 Sep 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated to 25, reset preferences, sticky tools.

But hey, at least we can spuriously generate 1024px squares of samey looking AI content that our clients won't use!

I'm so tired. So tired. This one is a production stopping bug, it's impossible to work, and yet the pile of half baked tools builds and builds.

Please. Nothing new for a year. Just fix your application and tie things back together again, it's becomming an incoherent mess.

--

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@D Fosse is this in regards to this thread? If so this should be merged for others on that thread to note.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-completely-broken-hand-tool-ps24-5-hand-to...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, it can be merged. The point I wanted to make was the curious fact that multiple preference resets finally fixed it. Still works fine, btw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @D Fosse wanted to check before I just moved it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple of users in my office have noticed this. Sometimes, when releasing the mouse button, the tool "sticks." When drawing a crop box, and then releasing the button to accept the crop, it continues to drag the box. Same with the hand tool (when selected with the shortcut, not with the spacebar). To release, it takes another click. It happens occasionally - it seems like moving the cursor/tool quickly makes it happen.

Could this have a purpose, be a feature, a bug, or maybe a graphics card that's being pushed a bit?

Ver 25.0 (but noticed on previous)

Windows 10 (22H2)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is interesting. I have spent about 2 hours setting everything I could find on Wacom settings, and Windows pen and mouse settings. Nothing helped with PS version 25.0 The sticky hand tool did not change. Then I tried this. Reset preferance in PS 25.0 several times. After 3 times, it finally reset. And low and behold, my Wacom tablet seems to work fine. Took a bit to get all of my preferances back to where I want them. But I'll keep my fingers crossed. It will probably be a few days before I do any real work. I'll update later as to how it holds up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Question - when you reset your preferences how are you doing that?

1. Using the preferences/General reset upon quit button.

2. Holding keyboard shortcut when starting PS

3. Manually removing from system folder.

Wondering if its also a cache issue on top of Preference resets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Speaking for myself, I flat deleted the whole settings folder, everything, each time.

And then on the fourth go it stuck...I mean, unstuck. Haven't had any problems since.

@Kevin Stohlmeyer "Wondering if its also a cache issue on top of Preference resets" Yes, I strongly suspect it's something other than the reset. But what?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated to the latest version yesterday and the issue was back again. My previous fix of changing my mouse's double-click speed to the slowest setting obviously no longer worked but here's the thing, with Photoshop open, I adjusted the double-click speed again, applied, quit Photoshop and reloaded it. No longer had the sticky hand when panning, no longer does it hold on to the selection box or crop tool when you let go. For me, it seems like the easiest 'quick fix' to rid Photoshop of the bug. I used it all day today without any problems.

From what I can gather - other people have found their own solutions to get rid of the issue so it's clear that it requires some kind of change to (whatever that might be) to stop the bug/issue from happening. All I can say is that for me, the issue was so bad it completely halted my productivity as I had to slow right down and keep clicking to successfuly exit an action. The double-click change has now worked for me with 2 different versions of PS so give it a go folks. Super easy to test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right. Confirms my suspicion - it's some kind of interference or conflict. Maybe the specific steps for untangling the conflict varies with different system configurations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everyone clearing their preferences and trying to find workarounds: this is a bug. It's not up to us to try to hack our way around it. It's up to Adobe to fix it. They broke it in v24. It isnt hard to go back through the code checkins and find out how to fix it. Has this actually ever been reported as a bug or are we just 8 pages deep in people complaining on a forum that adobe doesn't look at? Because that's not how you get stuff fixed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you'll notice, you are commenting on a bug report thread. Yes, everyone
knows it's a bug. Why Adobe hasn't fixed it yet is unknown to us. But there
are somethings that seem to make the sticky hand problem go away. Resetting
the Preferences several times, then closing and relaunching PS each time
seemed to fix it for my mouse and Wacom tablet. This was on PS25.
YMMV.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, Personally, I think that all releases can naturally have bugs that Adobe didn't mean.
But this bug, which started at about 24.5 versions, is really elusive.
Sometimes I have to reset my configuration once, sometimes I have to do it multiple times, and that bug occurs even if I install a new window and just install Photoshop... The new Genfill is also introduced in 25.0 and I'd like to happily look at and use the new version at a time when many things are changing, but I don't know. I think I'll keep using the previous version until this bug goes away....(24.0.1)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Sep 20, 2023 Sep 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thing that nags at me, is the preferences should be a collection of user designated tickboxes, integer values, and in some cases bitmaps (Patterns, shapes).

If some combination of settings produced an interaction of code that resulted in a buggy outcome, one would expect to see the bug every time the same options were selected. This however is not the case - you can have the bug, clear preferences, put everything exactly back as you had it previously and voila, no bug.

What this suggests to me is that Photoshop is storing something else in the preferences, cache data, network data, what-have-you that is NOT the result of a user making conscious selections, but in fact Adobe caching or creating something behind the scenes.  A bit like the Windows Registry ended up being used and abused beyond its intended purpose.

In a roundabout way what I'm saying is that it'd be nice to have some transparency from Adobe on exactly what else is being stored/created in the "User" preferences that we do not as users control, and ideally if it could be done *somewhere else* with a "Clear Cache" like option made available, so that we are not trapped in a cycle of tediously re-setting-up our workflows each time we upgrade / update / get to work.

Updating Photoshop should be an exciting and productive experience, not one that fills every working professional with dread.

--

Votes

Translate

Translate