• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Export as 8-bit PNG issue

Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using the export as dialog the 8-bit (smaller file) is no longer functioning first screen shot is the Export as dialog in PS 23.1.1 Second is same file and same dialog in 23.2.0PS231.pngPS232.png

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
81 Comments
New Here ,
May 04, 2023 May 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

15 MONTHS, 15 MONTHS WAITING AND NO SOLUTION! I HAVE NEVER BEEN SO DISAPPOINTED WITH A WORK TOOL, WHICH ALSO WE NEED TO BE ABLE TO DO OUR JOB WELL.
THIS IS SO DISGUSTING

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 21, 2023 Jun 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps it would make more sense to change the wording in the setting from "Smaller File (8-bit)" to "Smaller File (256 Colors)". It took me quite a bit of reading to understand the different types of PNG color modes, and only then did I realize what the "8-bit" option did.

I bet I am not the only person who assumed the Export menu's mention of "8-Bit" meant 8 bits per channel, not an 8 bit index of a pallete of colors, aka 256 total colors. To me, saying "smaller file" kind of implies a type of compression. And I am sure a lot of people assume the 8-bit wording in the Export menu means the same thing as the "8 bits/channel" I would see in the Image > Mode menu. 

Labelling it would remove all ambiguity in what exactly the setting does, and also make it way easier to deduce why semi-transparent pixels turn full opaque when the feature is enabled.

I made another post to propose this idea, feel free to vote on it: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-ideas/idea-change-png-quot-smaller-file-quot-opti...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ThioJoeThe discussion here revolves around the removal of saving an indexed PNG with full 8-bit transparency, rather than the wording used to denote the various PNG export settings.

Renaming it to "256 colours" wouldn't solve the secondary issue here either: the legacy Save for Web function allowed the user to choose to save 1bit (2 colours), 2bit (4 colours), 3bit (8 colours), 4bit (16 colours), 5bit (32 colours), 6bit (64 colours), 7bit (128 colours), and 8bit indexed PNG files. This option is also missing in the new Export dialog.

Therefore, the correct labeling would be "indexed (colours)" instead of "8-bit" or "256 colours" whic would describe the full range of output options rather than merely 256 (8-bit) colours.

In any case, the export options should offer an option to save full 8-bit indexed transparency because it is supported by just about any other image editing app out there and integral in web/game/gui/digital screen oriented pipelines. And it should be possible to select the bit depth as well.

It seems that the only reason why the developers decided to limit Photoshop's PNG Export to 1-bit transparency is because in their rigid-thinking minds Photoshop's index mode only supports 1-bit transparency, and it is "confusing to the user" when indexed PNGs with full transparency open in regular 8-bit per channel image mode in Photoshop. So they decided that an exported PNG from Photoshop should open in Indexed image mode. And therefore removed the full 8-bit transparency "because it is inconsistent".

But completely and miserably missing the point and negating the requirements of current image asset pipelines.

One would expect the devs to consider instead to expand the indexed image mode with an option to support full 8-bit transparency to accommodate current workflows, but that obviously is an outrageously forward-thinking mindset. 😉
Perhaps even (GASP!) layer support in indexed mode! Alternate universe stuff, this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@rayek.elfin True, I guess my point was based on the dev saying the feature is now apparently working as intended, and before effectively was doing nothing at all. So I figure if they are going to keep it the way it is, they may as well label it in a less ambiguous way. I agree they should add more options in adding more options for bit depth and transparency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 06, 2023 Sep 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Adobe - this is still busted. just FYI. Had to export a 24bit png and then get codekit.app (a good app on the mac!) to optimise the png properly to 8 bit png with full transparency.

took me 30 seconds to realise there was a problem in the CURRENT RELEASE OF PHOTOSHOP WHEN WE'RE LIVING IN 2023 (!) to then find this thread and find out Adobe broke it somewhere and don't understand why its broken and how to fix it.

C'mon Adobe. seriously - you need to at least fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 21, 2023 Dec 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just wanted to see if the Adobe development team have addressed the state of insanity they've inflicted on their users... and of course they haven't. 

Adobe seems to want us to not use their software anymore. A great tool for web design these days is www.figma.com -- give it a try!

Votes

Translate

Translate