• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Make the brush cursor easier to see (too thin, not enough contrast with some colors)

Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In last updates I'm having problem seeing brush (paint and healing) cursor when working with colors similar to cursor grey (grey or brown midtones for expamle).

Sometimes cursor changes to white, but for very short time and very randomly.

So it's really hard to see where I'm just gonna paint or heal. It is really annoying and tiring.

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

If you want to try the new Brush Cursor options in the  Photoshop (Beta) 

Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 11.57.20 AM.png

How to use:

1. Create a text file
  2. Save the file as a plain text file named PSUserConfig.txt
  3. In the Text file add this…

BrushTipOutlineStrokeWidth 3

(0-3) This Increases the brush cursor outline.
    0 is the default in the shipping version of Photoshop.
    This Beta is using 1 as a default.
    999602978d9r.png (Thank you Scott Valentine for making this graphic!

4. Save the file/Place the file in the Photoshop settings folder:

For Windows: \Users\[Use

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

We are aware of cases that a brush icon can be difficult to see.

Making it stand out more strongly would be very useful and we are evaluating solutions for all the platforms we support.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 437 Replies 437
437 Comments
Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't screen record it. Use the camera of your smartphone or tablet to illustrate the horrible photoshop flaw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I get legacy back in photoshop 2022?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news about improvements? When will that be fixed? With Photoshop 2030 maybe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still can't see the brush cursor in mid-range tones with legacy brushes. Photoshop is still broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fixed the problem by using an old version of Photoshop. Maybe the problem will be fixed with the 2030 version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set the size of the brush, clone tool, healing brush and then press the CAPS Lock key to switch to the crosshairs. Then, you can press the bracket keys to increase or decrease the brush size. Not perfect but a least you can see the cursor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I remember this problem clear back to version 2.5 in the early 90s up to CS3 in late 00s, especially when working on retouching scans from black and white negatives. A couple of years ago, after I retired, I started back in scanning old negatives and was surpised it was still a problem this many years later. I thought I was just going to have to live with it. This week, after working on black and white for a couple of weeks straight, I decided to see if their was something new in the latest Creative Cloud version that I did not know about. I found this thread today and did find a useful workaround in toggling the control key to locate the brush. It certainly beats wiggling the mouse on my 5K 27" iMac, but I am surprised that 30 years later this hasn't been addressed. I guess most people work on color digital images and it isnt as big a problem for them. But I do thank the participants in this thread for the helpful hint. I will keep checking this out to see if their is ever any progress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is the same problem working in color. I do touch-up work for a ladies' fashon company. There are a lot of mid-tone flesh colors where I have to guess where the cursor is. It is a hit and miss procedure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I think it'll work, even though the icon of the tool is a little bit annoying.

Much better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2022 Mar 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In last updates I'm having problem seeing brush (paint and healing) cursor when working with colors similar to cursor grey (grey or brown midtones for expamle).

Sometimes cursor changes to white, but for very short time and very randomly.

So it's really hard to see where I'm just gonna paint or heal. It is really annoying and tiring.

By @michal_j

This is going to be on a par with using a sledge hammer to crack a nut, but if you are using Windows then Lazy Nezumi Pro has what it calls a Mega Crosshair option

image.png

With it enabled, you get a very unsubtle crosshair that covers the entire screen as below.  The Pause Mega Crosshair while Drawing option causes it to remain at the starting location of the tool, but I have not worked out why this might be useful.

image.png

LNP does not work with OSX systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2022 Mar 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In pther words, it is not a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Apr 03, 2022 Apr 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Adobe, it's been years and this huge problem is still not fixed. So much for "the subscription based method will be much better for the users because we will be able to fix bugs faster without having to wait for the next release". Yeah right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The cursor disappears, very diffcult to retouch. In the past it worked fine. Tech support claimed he could see it easily but all these posts about this issue confirms my problem with photoshop. Really slows down the flow of work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2022 Apr 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

April 2022 and such an obvious flaw has not been fixed yet. Amazing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seeing as this appears to be an ongoing issue for some people, it would be helpful to tie down the conditions under which the cursor becomes difficult to see. 

The Subject of this thread specificually mentions the Brush Cursor.  I am forever losing my cursor, but not especially in Photoshop, but not so much with the brush tool.  Out of interest, I just tried to hide my brush cursor but they are all still visible.

image.png

I am using Windows and have my document window on a 32 inch 2560 X 1440 pixel.  This is with Windows 10.

If you are one of the people with this issue, what OS are you using?

What screen size and resolution? 

How do you have your cursor set in Preferences?

Can you show us some screen shots that show the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trevor, @Trevor.Dennis The problem is mostly that the OS (i use windows but apparently according to some people on this thread also happens on Mac) won't scale Photoshop cursor even if enabling scaling from the display options in Windows.
You can have all the ugly crosshairs you want, but if you are working on a 4k display and the cursor is 1 pixel thick, you will lose track of it over some colors/textures.
This would be easily fixed if in photoshop would be a feature to add custom cursors or change the thickness of the cursors like the brush or the ones that are 1 pixel line shapes.
As you'll see in the pics attached (the only way to show how it actually looks is taking a photo of the monitor) the cursor have only 2 states: White (when the image below reaches certain threshold of darkness) and Dark (1px black and 1px white for clear content).
The cursor is really difficult to see on that surface, FURTHERMORE , something I can't show in photos is that is really hard to track in my 60hz panel (pantone calibrated and all that fancy stuff) when you move the cursor over the problematic colors. That's the worst part in my case: the movement is the easiest way to lose track of it. Again, if one simply could thicken the cursor's lines a couple of pixels extra this DECADES LONG issue would be probably solved.
WhatsApp Image 2022-04-11 at 10.55.25 AM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-04-11 at 10.55.58 AM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-04-11 at 10.56.27 AM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-04-11 at 10.56.51 AM.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OS Windows 10 64bits Version 21H2, by the way

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Until PSHP makes the brush outline color changeable, the adjustment layer to temporarily colorize the layer you're working on works great. Thanks NB. Note: You'll need to change to RGB mode if you are working on grayscale.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The brush in photoshop (healing, Clone, and Paint) are getting harder to see.  once in a while and I don't know why my brush will turn white.  this seems to be an ongoing issue for some time now, why can't we have an option to change the color so there is better contrast with the area of the photo I am working on.   

Joe Cosentino

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is kind of silly, isn't it - a basic usability issue that's been active for well over 5 years and acknowledged by staff.

My solution was/is to buy a mouse-locator app for OS X. There are several - I currently use something called Simple Mouse Locator, but there are others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

omg Hasn't this problem been solved yet? As far as I remember, this inconvenient problem has occurred since 2018.

Some people have said that the problem is a specific symptom that only occurs on high-density displays(hidpi), but it is not.

Also its not abut OS problem.

Something changed...No one knows, and don't know when, but... Something's broken. In the past, there was no such inconvenience when working on precise Dodge Burn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously, this is such an old issue. Giving users the ability to thicken or change cursor colors would help immensely.  Not just the paintbrush, but all of the tools. In particular, I'm having a hard time seeing the clone stamp.

(Making the brush cursor larger doesn't really help, and it throws me off. For example, the cursor for the eraser becomes larger than the actual tool, makign it difficult to precicely control.)

I didn't have this problem until I switched from Windows 10 to a M1 Mac with a much higher resolution display (5K). IDK if it's a Mac issue, or if it's my new display that's making it so noticeable, but it's infuriating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a high res display problem. Adobe said it was aware of it long time ago, yet does nothing to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tested both HD and FHD displays and there is a problem. It's not only high-res display.

In the really older version of Photoshop, there's no such problem.

Also @yelm  Problem occurs regardless of Windows/Mac OS. There's nothing wrong with your Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate