• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Make the brush cursor easier to see (too thin, not enough contrast with some colors)

Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In last updates I'm having problem seeing brush (paint and healing) cursor when working with colors similar to cursor grey (grey or brown midtones for expamle).

Sometimes cursor changes to white, but for very short time and very randomly.

So it's really hard to see where I'm just gonna paint or heal. It is really annoying and tiring.

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

If you want to try the new Brush Cursor options in the  Photoshop (Beta) 

Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 11.57.20 AM.png

How to use:

1. Create a text file
  2. Save the file as a plain text file named PSUserConfig.txt
  3. In the Text file add this…

BrushTipOutlineStrokeWidth 3

(0-3) This Increases the brush cursor outline.
    0 is the default in the shipping version of Photoshop.
    This Beta is using 1 as a default.
    999602978d9r.png (Thank you Scott Valentine for making this graphic!

4. Save the file/Place the file in the Photoshop settings folder:

For Windows: \Users\[Use

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

We are aware of cases that a brush icon can be difficult to see.

Making it stand out more strongly would be very useful and we are evaluating solutions for all the platforms we support.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 437 Replies 437
437 Comments
Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This subscription-basedsystem many software companies implement is corporate greed and avarice. Like your dog trying to natch your cheeseburger from the table while you turn your back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2022 Jul 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue continues to haunt the Adobe apps. I rely on very precise and detailed work and I've become frustrated beyond belief. A lot of my work involves digitally restoring ancient sculpture, so there's a huge range of tones, but a lot of medium/grays - and the cursor simply cannot be seen in these circumstances. Also, having a cursor with a 1 pixel border is insane in the modern world of ultra high res monitors. The black border gets completely lost in grays to blacks, and the change to a white border only happens when the background is very dark. I'm so frustrated right now - this increases the amount of corrections and work that I have to do significanly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have received a large number of compaints about this over a long period of time yet you have done nothing about it. It would be most appreciatede if we could some action on this. It exceedingly frustrating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue has been pushing on Adobe for many years, and I can't understand why they haven't done anything about it. Unfortunately, the move to a subscription-based system has turned them into a 'feature-based' suite of apps, instead of focusing on correcting long standing interface and tool issues. I've seen many top designers complain heartily about this issue as well, but no one seems to be able to get Adobe to do something about it. How difficult can this be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does an old version of Photoshop help? The faint cursor in midtones has been an issue for at least a decade. Once higher res monitors came into existence, a single pixel wide cursor edge was never going to work. Maybe the switch to a light cursor in midtones worked better in an older version, but I can't recall it working well in a long time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daniel, you can go back in these posts for nearly a decade and see that people have been screaming about this issue for a very long time, with Adobe reps saying 'we're evaluating solutions'. It doesn't take *years* to make a critical upgrade like this. Rather, it seems that all of your resources are assigned to creating new features (many which will rarely be used, but give Adobe bragging rights and attract new subs) or stamping out the worst bugs. I can't imagine something more important for my work, where I'm dealing in a *lot* of midtones. I have to go back and edit my work a lot, because I literally couldn't see what I was doing or where my cursor was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seem to remember one of the promises made when Adobe went to the "SUBSCRIPTION PLAN" is that with the constant revenues would give them the ability to have the resource to not only provide the subscriber to more features, but also be able to fix the problems at a quicker rate.  Well that was a half truth.  I have a proposal for them, let them suspend all subscription fees and when they get this one problem resolved they can resume the collection of FEES.  If they would do that starting right now 2022-07-18 @ 10:10 PM, I bet I would wake up tomorrow morning with notification that the problem was resloved.

“We must accept responsibility for a problem before we can solve it. We cannot solve a problem by saying ‘It’s not my problem.’ We cannot solve a problem by hoping that someone else will solve it for us. I can solve a problem only when I say ‘ This is my problem and it’s up to me to solve it.’  

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 23, 2022 Jul 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That just makes it a circle not much easer to see. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Believe it or not I believe this is a firmware or hardware issue. I say this because I've asked Apple to create a left-handed cursor for many years you would think that would be very simple. For over 20 years Apple hasn't been able to make a left-handed curse. So why should adobe be able to make their crosshairs more visible? I'm thinking there may be some secret magic security code that goes along with the cursor that makes developers scratch their head. Some of the things we could've done with resedit in OS 9 on the mac we lost when we went to a unix based system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. This is a constant and annoying problem, trying to see the brush.

When I can't find the brush, I hold down Spacebar which temporarily shows the Hand tool. Once I see the Hand tool, I know where the brush is and I release the Spacebar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holding down a key to locate the cursor is only good for a moment. It can't help someone like me carefully paint something correctly, because we're working with a cursor that's effectively invisible. I then have to redo the painting, sometimes many times over, simply because I can't see the brush while I'm painting. Imagine having an invisible brush in the real world and trying to paint a canvas. It's an extremely rough go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if I buy either explanation. I've had this issue for a number of years now, and I've had it on both high end Macs and PCs. I now almost exclusively use a Mac, and it's brand new. I was hoping that might resolve any display issues, but ... no. I have friends who are working on PS on brand new PCs, and they have the same issue. One sees a bit more of the cursor, but it's not good for anyone. This should be the top of Adobe's list of fixes to address. And it should have been done many years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shaking the mouse or stylus is the same as hitting Ctrl briefly to locate the cursor. Great, so at least I can place the cursor correctly. But I still can't see the cursor *when I'm using it*, which is the real issue here. We all know the tricks for locating the cursor for a *moment*, but when many of us are working with photographs, with loads of medium tones, we can't see our digital paintbrush. That's a huge problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lightroom they use the same solution you use to make sure text is visible over a varied background; using a contrasting edge or shadow. The Lightroom brush cursor uses concentric contrasting lines of white and black. The theory of the solution is simple enough, but I have no idea the difficulty of recoding to implement it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 31, 2022 Jul 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem is really bad when working with low-contrast photos. The cursor disappears completely. I also think the problem is worse for people whose sight may be a bit impaired. The option for a thicker border would make all the difference. I guess that's incredibly difficult to accomplish programatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@MrKochjust because they didn't fix doesn't mean it's a hardware/firmware issue. Just means that they don't have interest in fixing it. They're taking our money every month and reporting profits after profits after profits, why would they spend time and money fixing something that is not affecting their revenue at all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Daniel PresedoSo Adobe has been aware of this problem for years and years and haven't done anything. Should we have any hope of actually having a company that listens to their heavy users or are you guys only focused on stupid Instagram filters now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd ask everyone to post on social media (Twitter, Instagram) tagging Adobe and complaining about the problem. Social media shaming is probably the only way to get something out of them these days. I had a problem with my Adobe account and tried through phone/chat on the website to fix it for three weeks. Some 15 hours wasted on calls and chats and got nowhere. Sent a tweet tagging @adobe and they decided to fix the problem on my account in 20 minutes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Andre Schneider NYC 

"Sent a tweet tagging @adobe and they decided to fix the problem on my account in 20 minutes."

You can also send your tweet directly to @AdobeCare. As you saw, Adobe Customer Care on Twitter is very responsive!

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jane-eI wish they were fast to fix problems in their software too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On macOS, shaking the mouse activates the system to enlarge the cursor but this doesn't work with the Wacom pen. :sigh:

I have a lot of problems with finding the cursor with clone or healing brush which I use a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does press and releasing the Comand key work the same for Macs as it does with Windows?  This is my goto way of locating the cursor.

Locate-Cursor.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, Windows has a system feature to hold Ctrl but that's not a Mac feature. On the Mac, rapidly shaking the mouse enlarges the cursor but apparently the Wacom driver is broken so it doesn't work with a tablet. :sigh:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Trevor.Dennis Wrote on 3 August 2022

"Does press and releasing the Command key work the same for Macs as it does with Windows?  This is my goto way of locating the cursor."

Trevor, this is a very long thread with close to 350 replies, so you may not remember saying the same thing on 6 December 2021? Here it is for you! 😊

7DC24223-45CE-41E2-8232-82EAE06ABE2B.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone found a solution to this? I've been working on so many images lately where it's almost impossible to see the spot healing brush tool and am getting horrible headaches from all the squinting. 

Votes

Translate

Translate