• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: No image preview on Open dialog box on Windows

LEGEND ,
May 22, 2012 May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The preview window in the "Open" dialog box on Windows is gone in Photoshop. So if I click on a PSD file (once) to preview it, there isn't one. I have to completely open the file or go digging for it in Bridge. This is a very fundamental feature that needs to return, especially for those of us that have hundreds of files to dig through. PLEASE fix this.

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 680 Replies 680
680 Comments
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2018 Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 20, 2018 Apr 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For win10 i found a workaround... ish... you can go to the microsoft store and install QuickLook... a 3rd party FREE app that makes the space bar in explorer work just like in mac os finder and you can pop up a preview of all kind of files (PSD included) thank god i found it and it is the only reasonable answer to all of my problems... i hope you find it useful... SOLVED??

PS: By the way... you need to save your .AI files as PDF compatible to work with this... and with heavy .PSD files it shows them in low res for a couple of seconds while it works the hi res preview... besides that it works like a charm...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2018 Jul 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so I have been battling this problem for a while now, and yes I am aware that MS for what ever reason does not support (natively anyways) of having adobe products having thumbnails. But I've been happily using Mystic Thumbs for several years with no issue, how ever in the last 6 months or more, .psd thumbs no longer seem to work, that is a thumb of the project I'm working on within the psd, not a program icon. So I tried Sage thumbs with similar problems though this time it was .ai files. I tried in vain once to get an answer as to why MS doesn't support adobe programs natively to no avail they said to ask adobe who intern said to as MS, so that was a circular problem never going to be answered to anyone satisfaction. I read somewhere a while back that MS asked adobe not to support thumbnails on MS platform, why I have no idea but there you have it. I have been trouble shooting this problem to no avail for a long time, and short of switching to a Mac (which in all honesty I really would rather not for one small all be it an annoying issue) I can't seem to find a solution. Has anyone else come across such a problem and figured it out. I have tried all the most common problem solving issues I can find in regards to 3rd party software to no avail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You haven't mentioned what version of Windows you're on but if it's Windows 10, check in settings to make sure .psd files are set to Photoshop

Untitled.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what you are asking. This entirely comes down to how those Explorer extensions scan the files, so it's more likely they require an update. The only other thing I could imagine is that you are not using the "Maximum Compatibility" setting when saving your files which generates a flattened preview that those plug-ins can use same as an embedded PDF-preview is required for AI files. And there lies the rub: No point in threatening to switch to Mac. Without those prerequisites you don't get previews there, either. So barring any changes in the actual file formats that prevent your quirky habits, you have to investigate how those extensions work, whether there are updated versions and if things like refreshing the thumbs.db files and otehr system caches actually works on your system. Even trivial stuff like having the thumbnails sorted by the wrong criteria can affect this because Windows will only re-scan them if e.g. options like date of capture or date of change are used.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry windows 10, It was not set to photoshop but had no impact on allowing mystic thumbs to create thumbnails for any psd files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1stly i wasn't threatening to switch to Mac, I was under the impression that Mac's these day's natively supported thumbnails for adobe products prehaps I was mistaken. As for saving files, I usually save files with maximum compatibility, and have tried al sorts of trouble shooting methods to solved the third party problems to no avail including much of what you said. My question was if anyone has had similar issues and found something else, i.e. third party software not mentioned or some other work around that does work for them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Try this one, just tested it on Windows 10 and it works, you will need to put a check mark in .psd during the setup

https://poppeman.se/pictus/

PSD viewed in explorer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that worked a treat thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems the obvious fix is to have a codec installed when Photoshop is installed that can handle Adobe file formats, etc. This is something you should not need a 3rd party solution for...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Aug 16, 2018 Aug 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pictus imageviewer does not render Adobe Illustrator thumbnails?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2018 Aug 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not Illustrator does it have an option to save a full composite layer when saving a PSD.  Pictus may need that to generate thumbnails for PSD files.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used a backup software called XnView for years. Thanks to this thread, I discovered that I can view my .psd files in the folders.

I usually use it for easy and fast screen shots. It is easy to - Select All, Copy and Paste screen shots directly from XnView into Photoshop if needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 04, 2019 Apr 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So found this thread while noticing that when I had a few PSD files in my OneDrive folder and it was showing thumbnail previews on the files as if they were images. When I moved them from the OneDrive folder to the local Downloads folder, the previews stopped showing up as was expected. Not sure what's up with the OneDrive folder that is causing that, but it's obviously something that can and should be available system-wide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure why you felt the need to defend the removal of a very useful aspect of the old program... it is not a bug, but it is a step backwards and STILL needs to be fixed 8 years later! 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just so people know the latest sage thumbs has virus warnings ("sagethumbs_2.0.0.23_setup.exe")

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/705d743e28b487e34a4a7245a0dbc303a10e45ba0fd9e4da4101c8cdf506839a...

For whatever reason it used to be on Google code.. but then became private.

https://code.google.com/archive/redirect/a/code.google.com/p/sagethumbs?movedTo=http:%2F%2Fwww.cheru...

-> sagethumbs_2.0.0.19_setup.exe for me doesn't raise red flags.

gackt0_1-1594835777413.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 19, 2020 Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could do this in CS2 but can't in the new version after what I paid for the suite? Why? I have a lot of older files that aren't labeled well. Not having this feature is wasting so much time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I get a directory in windows 10 to show the image in the thumbnail of PSD files instead of the PS logo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2020 Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pug.gif

Not only does the $10 codec work flawlessly, but I realized I had already purchased it a couple years ago for this same purpose. I'm not sure how it got uninstalled. Looks like I uninstalled the FastPictureViewer at some point, so maybe the codec uninstalled along with the viewer. Anyway, I reinstalled the codec, thanks to your post, and the thumbnails look perfect now!

Also, thanks to those who recommended FastPictureViewer. I planned on purchasing that until I saw I could get the codec by itself for $5 less.

SageThumbs wasn't working for me. It only showed a handful of PSD thumbs. Judging by their support page, they don't seem inclined to address the issue.

P.S. To the one person in the crowd who dislikes color. This was done for fun, not just to annoy you. May I recommend that you use the settings in your browser to force all text to show as black? You don't even have to pay $10 for it. 

bummy2.gifbummy1.gifbummy3.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simply uncheck this box from the windows explorer view options , which is how photoshop displays things as well.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop uses the system preferences of Windows Explorer.  Open explorer and go to the view options.  Make sure the "never thumbnails" is unchecked.  then :

uncheckalwaysshowiconsneverthu-05fb746c-94d7-49a4-82bd-2133c7f0b68f-507009433.JPG

Apply to all folders (button up top)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow. reviving a 9 year old thread! I see things move slow.  i've since gone to mac, is it possible there as well 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution is something you'd THINK would work but nope... still doesn't solve the fact that no photoshop thumbnails still to this day. When Adobe removes a feature they really don't do take-backs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah no preview on actual photoshop files - I see.  Bummer and so weird.   Well at least the other file types are visible.  

Votes

Translate

Translate