• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Taking forever in Reading Preferences

Participant ,
Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe CC installed on a fast SSD, Photoshop startup is usually done in a few seconds, but lately is taking around 2 minutes in the “Reading Preferences” start stage.

I have done every existing throubleshooting recommended like resetting or deleting Preferences folder and files, manually, or trough Ctrl+Alt+Shift option, I have unistalled and re-installed, etc. but the problem persists like if CC were back in an old and slow mechanical HDD.

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

@RosaPerry and anyone else in the thread who finds presets (.psp files) that cause this issue, engineering would like a copy of .psp file to investigate.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged , Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

@J453 I found out that my Styles preference was actually corrupt. I deleted the preference and now when Photoshop starts, reading Preferences only takes about 3 seconds instead of 50 seconds. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
39 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried to do a Clean Install of the NVIDIA driver? https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/game-ready-drivers/13/95834/clean-driver-install/

Then, see step 7 here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html to change the preferred graphics processor to High-performance NVIDIA processor.

The Intel 630 is not a supported card for Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep tried all that. I've downloaded the old nvidia driver my laptop came with and I'll give that a try and get back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When the intel uhd 630 drivers installed I get no report of incompatibility from PD. When gtx 1650 installed I get error message saying it's not compatible. Are you sure you have got your facts right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So downloaded nvidia driver from dell website, which is older than the one nvidia detects for my system, and loads faster. Preferences about 9 seconds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2022 May 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So not changed a thing and PS back to its usual useless self. Ages to load reading preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When the intel uhd 630 drivers installed I get no report of incompatibility from PD. When gtx 1650 installed I get error message saying it's not compatible. Are you sure you have got your facts right?

From engineering: "The posted system info shows it's taking a ridiculous amount of time to get data from the GPU. I strongly suspect the drivers here - it's also a laptop which means that newer drivers straight from nvidia might not work properly. Their final message says that the old Dell laptop driver gets preferences loading in 9 seconds - not great, but not terrible either. That might be the best we can do if Dell isn't producing more up to date drivers."

Typically, newer drivers and using the discreet, high performance card is recommended. Given the above statement, you probably want to stick with the laptop vendor delivered drivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@alanb976665 were you able to totally disable the integrated GPU, as explained in?  https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html#GPUandgraphicsdrivertrouble...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, just to be clear, there is still no solution to this?
I am encountering the same problem out of nowhere and not one solution has fixed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, can you look at where is the bottleneck in your system info?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what that means. The tech savvy terminology may be what is hindering me from solving this issue like others have because I can't find any layman's terms anywhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2023 May 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into the reported problem too. My environment - MacBook M1 Max, 64GB, MacOS 13.3.1. Photoshop 24.4.1

It took about 35s to start Photoshop. Tried all recommendations in this thread, but couldn't resolve it.Disabled all third-party plugins. UXP Plugins. Temporarily reset preferences to defaults. Tried an older version of Photoshop (23.5.1). All with comparable slow startup times.

I didn't see a reference to another potential source though, corrupt cache files. So I cleaned all Adobe related files in ~/Library/Caches. With all third-party plugins re-enabled, I measured <5s startup time. So while I can't say which exact cache file caused this, it was definite related to the cache content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 10, 2023 May 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having this issue after updating from 24.2 to 24.4.1 on a Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 64GB RAM, running macOS Ventura 13.3.1

Tried everything suggested in this thread, and more:

1. Reset preferences from within Photoshop and reopened it
  2. Reset preferences by moving "Adobe Photoshop 2023 Settings" out of ~/Library/Preferences
  3. Cleared cache from within Photoshop by clicking on Edit>Purge>All and Edit>Purge>Video Cache
  4. Cleared cache by deleting all Adobe related files in ~/Library/Caches
  5. Downgraded back to 24.2, reset preferences and cleared cache as per points 1 to 4
  6. Downgraded to 24.3 instead, reset preferences and cleared cache as points 1 to 4
  7. Completely uninstalled Photoshop and chose not to keep any preferences or settings, then re-installed it

None of the above helped. Photoshop now gets stuck in "Reading Preferences" upon launch which then prompts the macOS spinning pinwheel to appear for about 32 seconds, at which point Photoshop finally loads.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2023 May 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Loopeon - It seems you carried out the same steps as I did but didn't resolve it. I performed all equivalent steps 1-7 except 4 initially. None did resolve the issue as it is in your case.

One difference could be step 4 - I just deleted the entire ~/Library/Caches directory, not just targeting Adobe-related files. This is of more course risky as it may cause side effects for other applications. None in my case but your mileage may vary. Looking at my (now working) installation, the following Adobe-related files/directories have been recreated in  ~/Library/Caches:

Adobe

Adobe Camera Raw 2

ARFileCache

com.adobe.acc.AdobeCreativeCloud

com.adobe.acc.AdobeDesktopService

com.adobe.bridge13

com.adobe.ccd.helper

com.adobe.headlights.LogTransport2App

com.adobe.lightroomCC

com.adobe.LightroomClassicCC7

com.adobe.Photoshop

Possibilities: a) you may have overlooked some, b) there are others that cause the issues, but are no longer needed, c) we're observing the same effect, but there are different root causes.

I would recommend to perform the following steps with lead me to make the association with the ~Library/Caches content:

1) as an administrator, create a net new Mac user account (can be an ordinary user, not an administrator)

2) login as this user (everything at default)

3) Login into Creative Cloud with your existing Adobe credentials, perform all necessary steps to ready the activate the required version of Photoshop

4) Open Photoshop, obeserve the load time. It may take longer initially (prompts, environment setup, etc.). Exit

5) Reopen Photoshop, observe the load time. I measured ~5s. Your hardware should deliver equivalent, if not better results

a) if you can reproduce, we have validated that the issue is within your personal Mac user environment

b) if not, there must be a different root cause, not related to data within your Mac account

6) If it is indeed 5a), I would recommend to perform a "radical" cache cleanup

a) rename ~/Library/Caches to ~/Library/Caches.backup. Reboot.

b) Login with your credentials, start Photoshop and measure the load time

c) if resolved, check all other applications for side effects. If none are observed, you may want to delete the Cache copy taken in 6a) after a few days.

d) if not, you can either restore the Caches backup: from the command prompt: mv ~/Library/Caches ~/Library/Caches.new; mv ~/Library/Caches.backup ~/Library/Caches and reboot or just continue as is. In my experience, the caches are meant to  be transient. No application should depend on the old content except for performance improvement

I really hope the steps above will help you to track down the problem. If not, we have at least eliminated you personal account setup as the cause. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 16, 2023 May 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@rome2807 thank you so much for the extremely detailed and clear answer. I don't know why it didn't cross my mind to just delete ~/Library/Caches entirely, but I did just that (well, renamed it just in case), rebooted, and Photoshop is back to loading in literally less than 2 seconds.

I hope people that run into this issue find this thread and are able to get this resolved as swiftly as I did -- it was driving me crazy. Thank you again.

Votes

Translate

Translate