• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing animation frame rate when rendering in photoshop does not change the length of the video?

New Here ,
Feb 01, 2014 Feb 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a walk cycle animation in Photoshop CS6 and want to render it into a quicktime format. I'd like it to be 12 fps, but when I rendered it at 12 fps the video seemed to be missing frames, and the video was 3 seconds long. I have 98 frames to my animation; doing the math, at 12 fps it should be 8 seconds long. Not 3.

I was confused and for curiosity's sake I rendered the video at 6 fps, trying to really slow it down. The video ended up being STILL 3 seconds long and only maybe 20 frames. I was missing literally 70 frames. I'm so upset with this rendering thing, I could chuck my computer at the wall.

Does anybody know of a solution to this?

edit: If it means anything, I've tried rendering it straight from the frame view and the timeline view. Each time I render it I have the timeline frame rate match the rendering frame rate as well.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this will be seen as no help at all, but what you're seeing is precisely why I use Premiere for video editing and I'm learning AfterEffects for animations. They're made for that. Photoshop has the (limited) ability to work with animations and video rendering, but it should never be relied upon for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to provide exact render/ export settings. Many CoDecs have internal framerate controls that can ovveride external control and presumably that's what you are seeing.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2014 Feb 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are reducing the frame rate, PS does the frame rate conversion but does not change the clip's duration. Since the clip's true duration is now longer, click on the right edge of the clip and drag it to the right making the clip longer. This dragging will stop when the full clip is exposed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2014 Feb 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

floriannaart wrote:

Changing animation frame rate when rendering in photoshop does not change the length of the video?

Photoshop CS6 and CC support two types of animation Frame animations and a Video Timeline

Changing the frame rate should not change the length of a video timeline. It should just change the number of frames that are rendered.  To change the length of a video you need to change the length of the video timeline.  If you increase the length of the timeline and there is audio I'm quite sure there will be a problem with it,  The Video part will most likely be better then the sound. The required number of extra frames can be generated however the video may look like slow motion. If you decrease the length the motion will speed up.  The length of a video is normally done be editing video clips which are trimmed and stitched together to get the desired duration. Not normally done by altering the duration of a clip.

The duration a of Frame animation is the sum of the times each frame is displayed.  In a frame animation the length of time a frame is displayed can be varied it not a normal motion picture video.  To have a smooth frame animation you need a sufficient number of frames that are different from each other to show smooth motion.  You can use Photoshop Frame animation tween feature to have Photoshop manufacture frames to help with a smoothing the animation.   Once you have a frame animation the length with the motion you want you can have Photoshop convert it to a video timeline and render a normal motion picture video.  It will not have audio but you can add audio to it.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines