• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop iPad app crashes, freezing and not opening

Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2021 Aug 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Photoshop app is the only Adobe app that is not working properly, and hasn't done so for a long time. I have an iPad Pro (2020) with more than 800 GB of free space and the only way I can get the app to work is to delete and reinstall the app. Even when I can open the app, it does not save the file to the cloud even when it says it is doing so in the background. As soon as I navigate away from Photoshop (open/use another app, go to my photo/files folder, check the time, iPad shuts off, whatever etc), the app freezes on the Home Screen and will not open any file (no matter where they are stored), nor can I create a new project. Usually a little "x" appears over the cloud icon indicating that I am not connected. However, it is not effecting the CC, Illustrator, Fresco, Lightroom, Capture... apps. Recently I've been getting a new error stating- "" cannot be imported. Unsupported file format - usually when I try to open Photoshop from the CC app. I do not get that warning when opening any other app. It is all more than frustrating that the only solution is to delete and reinstall the app every single time I need to use it & then have to save my files to the iPad & transfer them to an external drive so I can continue to work on them on my laptop.

TOPICS
iPadOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you signed out of your creative cloud account, shut down and restarted your iPad then logged in again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have deleted every Adobe app off my iPad, turned off the iPad and restarted, downloaded and logged back into everything and as soon as I leave the Photoshop app and then try to open it again, it freezes on the Home Screen and none of the buttons work. Nothing else does that. I have noticed that Photoshop is the only app that does not ask for or show permission for access to photos, nor does it show the option for background refresh like most of the other apps. I don't know if either would be a problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have any further suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've asked someone on the team to dig into this and hope to have some answers soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Enginering replied:
"Seeing that their network is turning off at random times, I wonder if they have VPN installed. I had a similar issue  a while ago and doing a network reset fixed it for me.
To do the network reset:
  • Open the Settings app
  • General > Reset Network Settings"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More things to try:

• Check on Libraries to see if there is a lot of images. Some that have hit the disconnected cloud have reported success after thinning out libraries
  • Go to App Settings/Help/Support/Export cloud document logs. Go to files on iPad, long press in the folder and compress to create a zip. Share online and send the link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reset my network (following the instructions above), but that did not fix the problem. I also restarted the iPad and reinstalled Photoshop, but as soon as I leave PS, put the iPad to sleep or shut it off - when I open PS again, it is frozen on the Home Screen and none of the buttons/options work. It also does not work when I disconnect the VPN all together or when I am in airplane mode (all the other apps work fine in the same conditions). Then one thing that is different is that the "x" over the cloud does not always show up, but the screen is still frozen.
I didn't think I had that many images, but I'll definitely take a look at them. I've attached the link below. 
https://assets.adobe.com/public/c317b70d-d45f-4c48-77d6-10f86e0081af

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would it be possible for you to share your build number? 

Go to Settings/About and let us know so that we can work on the next steps.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

iPad

Software version: 14.7.1

Model name: iPad Pro (12.9" - 4th gen)

Model number: MXAX2LL/A

Capacity: 1.02 TB

Available: 885.55 GB

Photoshop app

Version: 2.7.1 (20210824.355)

Let me know if there is any other info you need. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any further ideas as to why Photoshop is the only Adobe app that does not work (for me), even with the current iOS & new Ps update? Could some other app on my iPad (even if not open) be causing Ps to crash?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There has been a difference with the new version...

• When the app is not completly frozen, it will allow me to select some of the menu items on the right. Learn and Discover will work properly. Your files, Shared with you & Deleted - contain no files and the text says "Pulling in your files, this will take a minute" - but nothing ever happens. Create new will open a new document dialog, I can select any preset & rename the document - but the areas to manually enter the size is greyed out & I can only cancel as the create button is greyed out. If I select Import & open - the app freezes and none of the other buttons work except the elipse at the top that controls full & split screen. 

• A new development is that most of the time I just have a complete black screen (even when I close the app then reopen).

• Many of the old problems persit, such as not being able to load my files, the cloud showing I am not contected, and the error message when opening the app from the CC app - ""cannot be imported. Unsupported file format.

• At the same time that Ps app is not working, everyone of the other Adobe apps works & connects to the cloud perfectly????????????????????????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi phreadie,

Sorry to hear you are still having issues.  Here are some more questions the team is asking to see if they can diagnose what might be happening...

•  Did any version of Ps work on the iPad?
  • What file types are showing up as unsupported?
  • Have you cleaned out any bad sync files from your CC account?
  • What type of subscription do you have and where are you located?
  • How much free space do you have in yourCC account?

The team is trying to reproduce your situation so if you can answer these they will take that and plug it in.

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem

• Yes Ps did work for me at some point (it was the only reason I desided to buy an iPad (again) in the first place). But it has been so long since it has worked properly... I don't remember which version worked. The first time I commented (on another post) in the Support Community was back in June, but at that time it had already been a few months that I was experiencing issues. So maybe back in Feburary/March of 2021 was the last time Ps worked properly for me.

• I don't know what files are unsupported - it only shows - "" not supported... (photo IMG_0661.png shows the error message). This only shows up when I try opening the Ps app (and not a file) from the CC app - otherwise I never get that.

• I have no files in the "synced files", "moble creations", "published", "shared with you", or "deleted folders. The only files I have in the cloud are either cloud documents (psdc or aic) - all open fine in Ai, PS & Fr or in a library (personal and public)

• I have a Creative Cloud All Apps supscription ($600/year) and am located in the US (east coast)

• I am using 51.8 GB out of 100 GB of my CC space

In case you need to know I am now using:

iOS version: 15.1

Model name: iPad Pro (12.9" - 4th gen)

Model number: MXAX2LL/A

Capacity: 1.02 TB

Available: 852.1 GB

Photoshop app Version: 3.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

What region are you in? Doing a search I came across this solution that seems to work for many, just wanted to share in case it may work for you.

"We are working on an issue where devices with non-US regions can encounter crashes on startup, in the meantime if you switch your device Region to US-english in Settings/General/Region you should be able to get the application to launch. We hope to have an update for this issue out soon."

Another thing, do you have a lot of files in libraries? Thinning these out might also help in this issue. Also, if you have Fresco, it has been reported that if a customer launches Fresco, then launches Photoshop the crash doesn't happen.

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen that thing with the region as well... my device has always been set to US and English.

I don't know if I have "a lot" of files in libraries... most of the files are brushes and some Ai files. I know I have not hit a maximum limit, but I'll look into deleting what I don't use often or need right now and go back to a flash/hard drive for my files.

I do have Fr, and while it is open Ps still behaves the same. Ps does not always crash and close, most often it just freezes and nothing happens until I give up and close the app or the iPad turns off. Now when I try to reopen I either get a complete black screen (IMG_0668.PNG) or I get the message that I am not connected to the internet while you can clearly see that I am (IMG_0665.PNG). I've tried turning of the VPN, shutting the iPad down and restarting, reseting my network. I haven't tried reseting the iPad back to factory settings, but as Ps is the only app that isn't working for me, I am hesitant to do so. The only way I can get Ps to work (briefly) is to delete the app from my iPad and reinstall. Once I am ready to work on a file, I sign in (although it does not ask for credetials anymore, but I assume it is relying on the other Adobe apps), and everything works as it should. My cloud docs are there, I can import a new file, & can create a new document. As soon as I navigate away from the app (import files, import brushes, open another app, file, message, any thing) - Ps freezes and reverts back to the home screen & I am not able to access anything, any work I was doing is lost & pressing any button causes the app to freeze (sometimes crashing completely). Fortunatly, I can do part of my work in Fresco then move to Ps on my laptop for the rest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, would you be willing to setup a temp account to see if there is an issue with your account?  Steps to try are:

• Sign out of Ps from Setting/Account.
  • On sign in select sign up item at the bottom.
  • Create a new account with an alternate email. This does require setting up a new subscription, which you would need to cancel before the 30 day trial expires to avoid getting charged.
  • It does appear to take a while for the subscription to show up to be cancelled on the apple side.

I know this sounds like a lot of work, but it would really help the team to be able to see what might be happening to you and your device/account.

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I had no problem with Ps using a new account. It was a bit laggy (the x cloud appeared) at first, but the file I uploaded was rather large. I thought that might have been the problem (that the 10-15 cloud docs were too big, so I opened 10 rather large psd files, but they all synced & I was able to reopen Ps without it freezing on me. So I went through my true account and noticed that I had 3 files that were not .psdc nor .aic, but were .gem files -evedently old Adobe Sketch files that were converted to Fresco files, but they had that strange file extention. I didn't notice it before that those files would show up nowhere but in my cloud docs in CC (not even in Fresco). I deleted them and logged back into Ps with my true account and everything has been working fine so far. When I open Ps from CC, I still get that weird red warning "" not supported, but it is not effecting how the app works. Fingures crossed- hopefully everything will be fine now. It has been driving me nuts🤪 Thank you for all your help and suggestions! Happy MAX!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear that.

Also, if Ps is running when the file is sent from CC to Ps, it may avoid the "not supported" error.

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Photoshop for ipad is a joke, sometimes the app starts to crash everytime I open it, and the only solution I have is to open and open it again during weeks until it works again like magic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines