• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop keeps crashing with Smart Sharpen and resizing

New Here ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Photoshop program keeps crashing whenever I try to use the Smart Sharpen or Image Size functions. I've followed the PS website tech advice for these crashes, but to no avail. PS keeps saying my graphics card is compatible. I'm using Windows 11 on a brand new, high-end HP computer. I never had any of these problems with my ten-year-old Photoshop program. Any advice would be appreciated. I wish I could talk on the phone with a tech.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're saying "any advice"...

(Cent 1) Stay on Win 10 as long as you can. Every next OS just gets sneakier and more limiting, and will take a whole while before being optimal. Adobe probably has better things to do than try to adapt to all changes in Win 11. AFAIK, for now you only need 11 if you (later) want to squeeze some 3 extra percent of speed out of your first-rate hardware?

(Cent 2) If you finally have a working PS, don't update it and only install an update in parallel on the next big number update.

-
I've only started using Win 10 two months ago, and for the first time in 4 years have an adequately working PS v23.3.1. I'll be staying with it as long as I can 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Tom23503485lchg, I'm sorry to hear about the crashing. When you write, "my ten-year-old Photoshop program," it makes me think this could have something to do with the problem, unless you mean you've been using Photoshop for ten years. But if you don't have the latest version installed, which is the Creative Cloud 23.3 Release, I'm not sure how much help you can get if you are running outdated versions on Windows 11. But here is the phone list for Adobe support, so at least we can grant that wish. Let us know how it goes!

All Adobe support phone numbers are listed here: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/phone.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jain,

Thank you for your prompt response--and for the list of phone contacts!

To clarify, I’m using the current, continually updated subscription version of Photoshop and have ever since I replaced my old computer and Windows 10 late last year.

The ten-year-old version of Photoshop that I referred to in my message was the one installed on that old defunct computer. That earlier program worked flawlessly all those years on Windows 7 and Windows 10. (My brand new HP desktop computer has Windows 11.)

I’m a longtime blogger and many of my posts are about the eruptions of Kilauea volcano (I live just below its caldera on the Big Island of Hawaiʻi). Because I often shoot the volcanic activity at night—hand-held—I heavily rely on the Smart Sharp function to tweak the jpegs before posting the photos on my blog.

And, of course, in order to post my high-resolution images on the blog, I absolutely must be able to resize the photos for my WordPress website platform—using the Image Size function.

Now that both Smart Sharp and Image Size crash the program, I’ve had to resort to using my wife’s laptop, which has the old Photoshop program in it, to handle both functions, so that I can continue blogging to my followers.

Any help you folks can give me will be greatly appreciated! I’d hate to have to find an alternative photo editing program; I’d much rather stay with Photoshop if possible.

Mahalo!

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried Fit Image... to scale down? (it will use the method specified in Preferences)

You can also scale down when saving through Save for Web (Legacy)...

Are you using Smart Sharpen just to have deconvolution sharpening, or do you need its "shake reduction" functionality?
If it's just to have deconvolution, you can use the Camera Raw filter to sharpen — if you set it right (you'll have to look that up, as I am divided on the opinions last time I checked).
If you don't need deconvolution, there's many other ways to sharpen in PS. And this old (now free) plugin still works (but has no deconvolution)... www.pixelgenius.com

But most importantly... leave your wife alone! 😛 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay, thanks for that extra info, Tom. I know exactly where you are and have walked out on Kilauea before, getting close enough to melt the soles of my shoes. I think @Signfeld has a very good suggestion about using Camera Raw for sharpening instead of the Smart Sharping tool. And there are other non-destructive ways in Photoshop to sharpen, including the High Pass filter. As for Image Size crashing, that is another animal. I'm not sure what your specs are for "high resolution blog photos" but files sized around 1920 x 1080 pixels can still be 72ppi and look great without being considered high resolution. There are also lossy compression tools for web use that work wonders in terms of reducing file sizes before posting. Windows 11 might be the culprit here. I'm sticking with 10 until the last possible moment, myself. Any chance the new HP can run it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines