• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to add Noise in Gradient Overlays

LEGEND ,
May 16, 2011 May 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd love to see a Noise slider in the Gradient Overlay Layer Style. I always like a touch of noise in my gradients to break them up a bit. Currently you can't use gradient overlays if you want to add noise, you've got to create layers. A noise slider would streamline a great many files.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 12, 2012 Apr 12, 2012
In Photoshop CS6, we added dither options to Layer Styles for Gradient Overlay and Gradient Stroke:

Votes

Translate

Translate
11 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you want noise, or just dithering (like we have in most gradient usage)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Either would be an improvement.

Both would be a dream.

If I had to pick one or the other, it would be noise.
Simply because dithering is either on or off and not user controllable beyond that.

Thanks Chris!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 12, 2012 Apr 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop CS6, we added dither options to Layer Styles for Gradient Overlay and Gradient Stroke:

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 12, 2012 Apr 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Woo-hooo! Thanks Jeff!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 28, 2014 Feb 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning dithering on isn't really the same as adding noise. I would like to see a slider for noise as there is in the shadow layer effects. As it is now, I have to rasterize my shapes (or convert to smart objects) in order apply the noise filter and create a light gradation that exhibits no banding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dithering is adding noise, is what was requested, and removes most banding.

Adding more visible noise would need a different request, and a better explanation. But I think there is already a request for an "add noise" layer style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply!

I understand that dithering is a form of adding noise. I meant that when I hit the dither button, I can't really tell much difference. It makes the bands sometimes have an uneven, wavy like look but it doesn't really blend the colors together as well as fine noise from the Add Noise filter. I actually made a sample to illustrate what I perceive as the difference. The top is a plain gradient, the middle is dithered, and the bottom is with add noise (0.3) applied. Then I increased the contrast so that the effect can be more easily seen. None of these gradients looked awful on screen at 1:1 but the one with add noise applied was noticeably a bit better than the other two, which were pretty much indiscernible from one another. A separate layer effect for noise would certainly be welcome but I'm not entirely sure if it would work the same or not.

Sample:

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dithering shouldn't be that visible - the whole point is to break up small differences in values and simulate a more continuous tone on a quantized device.

Your version adds quite a lot of noise, which might be needed for a device that could only reproduce 32 levels of gray (cheap cellphones, maybe?). But it is so noisy that it no longer looks like a clean gradient on a normal 8 bit display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you miss the part where I said I increased the contrast dramatically to show the difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, yes, I did. You can't really compare dithering and added noise if you increase the contrast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I'm really sorry I even bothered posting here.

Votes

Translate

Translate