• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Add a Glyphs panel

Participant ,
Mar 30, 2011 Mar 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why, still, is there no glyphs palette/panel/menu in Photoshop? It's pretty sad that I have to use Illustrator or CopyPasteCharacter.com to get the glyphs I need for my raster designs.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 15, 2015 Jun 15, 2015
Implemented in the Photoshop CC (2015) update. https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/usi...

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 125 Replies 125
125 Comments
Enthusiast ,
Apr 16, 2012 Apr 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only had PostScripts (in two parts!) — Mac version — back in 1996 and i was using them on a whacking great Varityper Phototypesetting machine before that!

And it didn't have a Glyphs panel either!

:(

I know: Walk to school; in the snow; uphill each way; and without shoes?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does communication have to do with implementing a glyphs palette? The applications can't share much code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's ok, some of us went to the same school and lived in that same hill/valley.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Former iterations of the Illustrator glyph palette were just a straight table of all the glyphs in the currently active font, ordered by their glyph ID. Recent versions of Illustrator introduced sorting oprions and the ability to show related glyphs in a small sub-popup.

The latter functionality is neat but even just a simple palette withou oprions would do. Note that it's important that — like InDesign and Illustrator — the palette should dosplay all of a font's glyphs, not just the encoded characters. Many OpenType fonts include alternate glyphs rhat don't have a Unicode.

Since it's already posdible to use the glyphs pallette in Illustrator to enter such glyphs, then copy-paste them to Photoshop and they are being retained, it's evident that Photoshop can deal with unencoded glyphs already, it's just a matter of exposing them in the UI.

Miguel Sousa or David Lemon of the Adobe Type Department can provide you with insights as to how the details can be implemented.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But weren't you the guy who had shoes?

;)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've been talking to the type department - which is why we know it's not as obvious as it seems. If we're going to do it, we need to make sure we do it right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally, I find the InDesign CS5 Glyphs Panel to have been exceptionally well done.

Even if you can't create something quite as comprehensive as that for Photoshop, just a more basic panel (with less ways of choosing listings) would help — even if it only showed all of the alternate glyphs that were available in a font for a selected character.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2012 Apr 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Long time no read, Ann!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 15, 2012 May 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For your info, CS6's character panel has more OpenType options: ligatures, fractions... But I understand the fact that it might be frustrating to see options in one program of the Suite, and not in the other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2012 Jun 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like it like the InDesign Glyph Panel (slightly better than the one in Illustrator imo.).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 02, 2012 Jul 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm kinda spoiled here since I work with a Mac, so I don't understand this pain... The language preferences allows me to use a "character viewer" which means I can find glyphs rapidly and by different fonts. (I'm thanking the late Mr. Jobs for being a typophile for this.) (UTF characters are also much easier to type on a mac.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 08, 2012 Jul 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to understand the difference between a character and a glyph. OS X's Character View allows you to access all characters in a font, but that doesn't mean that you'll be able to access all the glyphs in that font. In other words, the Character View can only access glyphs that are encoded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 08, 2012 Jul 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to understand the difference between a character and a glyph. OS X's Character View allows you to access all characters in a font, but that doesn't mean that you'll be able to access all the glyphs in that font. In other words, the Character View can only access glyphs that are encoded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Oct 13, 2012 Oct 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a long time I've also wanted a Glyphs Panel in Photoshop. It would be a most welcome addition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Oct 13, 2012 Oct 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Either Illy's or Indesign's glyph access solution brought to Photoshop would cause waves of happiness to wash over me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 18, 2013 Feb 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I definitely encourage the Photoshop team to add the Glyph palette."

I agree. It's really sad and not helpful at all for me that there is neither a glyph panel in Photoshop CS6 nor in Fireworks CS 5. I use both programs for webdesign and there are a lot of good fonts which have excellent glyphs very suitable for webdesign.

This problem has further intensified since Apple has removed the glyph panel form its MAC OSX (they get worse in Typography with every new release. Since Mountain Lion not even the Small Caps in Opentype fonts can be activated, the function is totally non-functional - seriously bugged).

I tried so many solutions Ultra Character Map, copy and paste from FontExplorer but all of them don't offer a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 21, 2013 Jun 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just been futzing with trying to find a dingbat for 20 minutes - it's so infuriating in Photoshop CS6, and so simple in Illustrator.

Please please please get this on the roadmap for the next version of photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 19, 2013 Oct 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was actually shocked and appalled to find no glyph panel in Photoshop. What's the point of spending 300 dollars on a font to not be able to use it's incredible glyphs and alternates?

Please adobe, add the glyphs panel into your product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 07, 2013 Dec 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is the Glyphs pallette? We need this desperately Adobe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 07, 2013 Dec 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this feature being worked on? How close is it to arriving in CC now that Adobe apps are being rapidly updated?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2014 Jan 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Photoshop team,

just today again wonderful features were added to PS but I always wondered why a Glyphs Panel has not found its way into PS so far. As working with type is as essential as working with images in Photoshop this feature is badly needed.

The workaround via Illustrator is just not what a fluid workflow should be like.

And I think this would make a lot of people – including myself – really happy.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 23, 2014 Mar 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot even use names that properly have accents like Zoe or Renee! Come on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 24, 2014 Mar 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Celebrating this feature request's third year. Yaaay!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2014 Mar 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add the glyphs panel to Photoshop... it is seriously necessary especially if one cannot spend the $50/mo for the full suite so that you can have Illustrator or InDesign available to utilize a pro font...

Please listen to your customers...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Apr 22, 2014 Apr 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that as a hard-core font geek, I am too weird for my opinion to count, but I will just say that this has been my #1 feature request for Photoshop for a decade now.

The best workaround is to set your text in Illustrator and paste it in, but that is a major workflow interruption. I mean, I shouldn't have to launch and use Illustrator just to get the glyphs I need.

Votes

Translate

Translate