• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Add a Glyphs panel

Participant ,
Mar 30, 2011 Mar 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why, still, is there no glyphs palette/panel/menu in Photoshop? It's pretty sad that I have to use Illustrator or CopyPasteCharacter.com to get the glyphs I need for my raster designs.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 15, 2015 Jun 15, 2015
Implemented in the Photoshop CC (2015) update. https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/usi...

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 125 Replies 125
125 Comments
LEGEND ,
Apr 26, 2014 Apr 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand why the glyph panel is not in there already... seems like a no brainer to me with so many fonts utilizing alternate characters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
May 15, 2014 May 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Three years later, and despite numerous pleas for one, we still do not have a Glyphs Panel in Photoshop?

Would the building of a Glyphs Panel really be too difficult, time-consuming or expensive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only because Mom shopped the bargain bins and made us wear em until they fell apart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adriénne - You can type those characters even on a normal keyboard - those don't need a glyphs palette.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I first asked for this over three years ago. Still waiting Adobe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just having a way to access all the alternate glyphs. - no matter how basic - would be worlds better than what we have now. Ideally, one just like InDesign would be great - where highlighted glyphs in a text window bring alternates to the top.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 16, 2014 May 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this feature is essential, not the video editing feature.
Glyphs Panel!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 16, 2014 May 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

friends this is really useful. We will increase our work space and organization:
http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jun 10, 2014 Jun 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd LOVE to have a Glyphs panel in Photoshop!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 19, 2014 Jun 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I strongly support this feature to be added.
As a Web/UX Designer, I always use icon fonts in my designs, so what I do right now is:

1. Go to Adobe Illustrator
2. Open the Glyphs Panel
3. Select the Type Tool
4. Copy my icon
5. Paste it in Photoshop

Why do I need to go through all this steps, when if we were to have that panel, all this would be happening with one click.

How hard it is to add a simple glyph panel to photoshop since you already have it as a feature on illustrator and inDesign?

This request has been made 3 years ago:
http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

... and still it is under consideration?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add comments to the original topic instead of creating duplicate topics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys and girls, this is not going to happen anytime soon. It hasn't been implemented after 3 years of requests, we're basically flogging a dead horse.

I've had to keep Illustrator open and bring in dingbats from that program using the Glyphs panel there. It's a major PITA and its seems silly to open up another program just to use that functionality, but what can you do about it? Posting here doesn't do jack apparently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Posting here and adding your vote helps inform product management about what is desired. But the type team has a lot of other issues and features on their plate that rank ahead of a glyphs panel.
Just because your favorite feature doesn't happen instantly doesn't mean that it isn't already in progress and might appear in a later version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not just my favourite feature, it's got 94 other backers as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are So MANY END USER comment's on this issue. No comments or status updates from the Adobe Team. As a user it looks like we are being ignored !

Adobe Team - Please post the RANK of this issue - What do you have as a priority above this?

This should be a JDI as Adobe already have the technology in Illustrator - Right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's good to know that Adobe defines "instantly" as 3 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, just to add to your earlier comment, this idea has been listed as "Under Consideration" for three whole years. I'm not ranting about this topic for any good reason - we've been led to think that this feature would emerge for a fair while but it looks like it gets continually sidelined. Is that our fault or Adobe's?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks as if this question has been forgotten and has sputtered out in a very black hole ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is still under consideration - but, again, the text team has bigger problems to address.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We marked the feature as under consideration. That hasn't changed. But you don't get every feature instantly.

No, we cannot provide any sort of ranking.

No, the code from Illustrator would do no good in Photoshop. Different UI systems, different text engines, etc.

No, a JDI is a feature that can be done quickly, tested quickly, and is an obvious improvement. This cannot be done quickly, cannot be tested quickly, and is a minor improvement compared to all the other things that the text team needs to do.

You have made your request, we have listened. But it takes time to address the tens of thousands of requests that we receive from millions of users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"You don't get every feature instantly" ?!? You really found it necessary to point that out after we've been asking for it
T H R E E Y E A R S I N A R O W ?
"Not instantly" – oh, You don't say?
Up until now I was only mildly annoyed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 20, 2014 Jun 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate that, and thank you for responding quickly.

It's just that this seems to be a missing feature that is causing 95 vocal users (and who knows how many non-vocal users) pain on a daily basis - designers who use PS need decent access to text controls that are on a par with FW, AI or ID. That includes many things like a proper Glyphs panel to take advantage of symbol and dingbat fonts, and a properly functioning styles palette, which we've talked about in another thread.

In the era of web fonts like Font Awesome, it is vitally important that PS has some way of making use of symbol fonts properly to help web designers who are a large segment of users for your product.

I guess there's just a bit of angst rising again over this as we had hoped that perhaps CC 2014 might have contained these upgrades, particularly as the idea was under consideration for three years well before CS6 even launched.

You're onto it anyhow so I won't hassle you further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, we can't deliver all the requested features instantly. And for every feature you want, there are thousands of other requests from more users. We have to balance all the requests (and all the necessities) across all users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess members of the Photoshop team acknowledging feature requests and bug reports is already comparatively impressive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time Chris Cox uses the word "instantly" to reference a time period of 3+ years, he really illustrates the lack of communication going on here. Then, by deleting posts similar to this one for "failure to read", he manages to be simultaneously condescending and ironic.

Votes

Translate

Translate