• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Add a Glyphs panel

Participant ,
Mar 30, 2011 Mar 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why, still, is there no glyphs palette/panel/menu in Photoshop? It's pretty sad that I have to use Illustrator or CopyPasteCharacter.com to get the glyphs I need for my raster designs.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 15, 2015 Jun 15, 2015
Implemented in the Photoshop CC (2015) update. https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/usi...

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 125 Replies 125
125 Comments
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2011 Mar 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate having to launch Illustrator or InDesign to choose an alternate glyph when I work with text in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 17, 2011 Apr 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you need in a glyphs palette to make it useful (not perfect)? Just a list of all glyphs in a font? What other application has a minimal working glyphs feature, and what application has the best (in your opinion) glyphs feature?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it'd be just prudent for consistency's sake to put Illustrator's gyphs palette into Photoshop (and every other Adobe app that can take advantage of it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds great, but since the apps don't share any code or UI framework -- rather difficult. And we have a limited amount of engineers and time -- so we'd like to focus on what you actually NEED.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, what we need can depend on the project. But we do NEED (ideally) a palette that displays all the glyphs (i.e., every character) for the selected font. Then we can just click (or double-click) the glyph in that palette to insert it into our active text.

Some fonts have certain glyphs that other fonts do not, and it would be nice (just as Illustrator and InDesign do) to have a list/palette showing all the available characters/glyphs for the chosen font.

If you (for some unknown reason) have to limit the shown fonts, then at least have the most used glyphs -- such as quotes, primes (for feet and inches), bullets, registered symbol, trademark, copyright, dashes (minus, en dash, em dash, etc.), multiplication "x", etc.

I guess I'm just not sure how it could be TOO difficult to have a palette pull in a visual list of all characters of a chosen font. More mind-boggling is that Illustrator and InDesign have used this for many versions now, but it never made its way into Photoshop. I just don't get why Adobe wouldn't have added it, for how useful it would be. A web designer, such as myself, shouldn't have to rely on remembering all the codes to manually "type" the glyphs, nor should I have to rely on Googling the glyph name to copy and paste it. And, lastly, it's pretty bad when I have to open a separate Adobe program just to see what glyphs are available for a font.

I love typography, and I try to use the proper characters/glyphs with my designs. In my previous jobs, I was a graphic designer, so I more often used Illustrator and InDesign (obviously alongside Photoshop) -- but now that I'm a web designer, I use mainly Photoshop...and I miss my glyph options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 08, 2011 May 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add a Glyphs window to Photoshop (like the ones in InDesign and Illustrator)!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 09, 2011 May 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I didn't see this topic before I posted a repeat request. My problem usually comes in when I know of a symbol in a font like Wingdings or Dingbats that I want to use but I don't know the keystroke for it, so I have to copy/paste from the Glyphs window in AI or INDD. I don't know of a way around that other than to have a window that displays all the characters for a font... 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 09, 2011 May 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem. Thanks for the request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 24, 2011 May 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I definitely encourage the Photoshop team to add the Glyph palette. Even the Adobe-own OpenType fonts include a wealth of additional glyphs that can be accessed through InDesign's and Illustrator's Glyph palettes, but not within Photoshop. This certainly is discouraging, creates inconsistent user experiences and confuses users.

Especially on Mac OS X, there is a number of image-manipulation products that use Apple's CoreText or ATSUI-based "Typography" palette and the Mac OS X system-own Character Palette. This way, the users of those applications can easily insert all glyphs into their images. But Photoshop does not work with the Character Palette on Mac OS X if the glyphs don't have Unicode indexes, and on Windows there is no such comparable mechanism (the Windows "Character Map" application can only access the encoded characters, not the OpenType alternate glyphs).

This means that, the longer this situation persists, the more Adobe has the chance to lose customers who work with type and do image manipulation, towards the other competitors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a regular standard Adobe glyph palette like that in Adobe Indesign and Illustrator, so that folks who buy opentype pro fonts can actually use the full character set in Photoshop. It's obscene that such a basic feature is missing - especially when Adobe bundles pro-level fonts with Photoshop, and users have no way of accessing the majority of the character set in-application!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a regular standard Adobe glyph palette like that in Adobe Indesign and Illustrator, so that folks who buy opentype pro fonts can actually use the full character set in Photoshop. It's obscene that such a basic feature is missing - especially when Adobe bundles pro-level fonts with Photoshop, and users have no way of accessing the majority of the character set in-application!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get SO MANY complaints from type buyers that they buy pro-level fonts - including Adobe-made fonts! - and can't use much of the character set in Photoshop simply because you have "forgotten" to include a glyphs palette. It's an enormous oversight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe advanced the evolution of digital typography by co-creating OpenType and setting the technical standards for fonts in this format. Hundreds of other font makers followed their lead. Unfortunately, many of Adobe's own fonts (and those from the other font manufacturers) aren't fully functional in Photoshop. This essentially opens a gaping hole in the Adobe CS workflow for professional designers who rely on these fonts.

At minimum, a palette with access to a font's full glyph set is required to solve the problem. In addition, access to all OpenType layout features via the Character palette's drop-down menu will greatly reduce inconsistencies between Adobe CS apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had no reason to update from CS3, but if PS CSX implemented a Glyph palette or more, I would buy it the day of release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are SO many Photoshop features that have been developed in the last year that I don't NEED. No offense, but of all the things developed for photoshop in the last 3 yrs, I would have put the glyph palette at the top of the heap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At minimum, Photoshop should duplicate the functionality of the Illustrator Glyphs palette. I understand that they have different code bases, but your whole shtick nowadays is making sure the applications "act exactly the same" no matter the OS, even ignoring the standardaized OS style guides (which is a whole other complaint). Shouldn't it be your goal to make sure workflows between programs also have consistency?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having had started this thread 4 years ago, I have to agree that a Glyph panel in Photoshop would be very handy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 09, 2011 Jul 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should be there!
If Adobe still committed to producing the best, then perfection is a virtue. Hopefully Adobe to be truly paradise for designers 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2011 Nov 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe Gripe #4797

"Please add a glyph palette to Photoshop and stop assuming that real typography happens only in vector programs."

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 05, 2012 Mar 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe,

Please, please, PLEASE... give Photoshop a glyphs palette.
There is no other feature that would be more useful for designers.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Apr 16, 2012 Apr 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The OTF Pto fonts, with their numerous alternate characters, make the installation of the Glyphs Panel (as used in InDesign) an essential component in Photoshop as well.

This request really needs to go straight to the top of the JDI list for CS Next.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JDIs are small, simple things that can be done quickly. This request is neither small, nor simple. Just make the request, and let the developers decide what's a JDI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However, you like to classify it, please just do it

;)

because I know that many people have been asking for a Glyphs panel to be included in Photoshop ever since the OTF Pro Fonts were introduced (which was back in 2006 in the days of CS2 if I recall correctly?).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The glyphs panel already exists for years on other Adobe programs. Have you became too big and fat to be able to communicate efficiently ? 😛

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ann,

You're being kind. 😉 OTF Pro Fonts were introduced in 1996.

The Glyph Palette
While OpenType layout features are primarily accessed via the OpenType palette (Illustrator) or the OpenType flyout of the Character palette, Adobe InDesign (all versions) and Adobe Illustrator CS–CS5 also allow you to view and access all of the possible glyphs and layout features in an OpenType font through the Glyph Palette.

–Adobe OpenType User Guide v37, 07 October 2008

Votes

Translate

Translate