• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Add a Glyphs panel

Participant ,
Mar 30, 2011 Mar 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why, still, is there no glyphs palette/panel/menu in Photoshop? It's pretty sad that I have to use Illustrator or CopyPasteCharacter.com to get the glyphs I need for my raster designs.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 15, 2015 Jun 15, 2015
Implemented in the Photoshop CC (2015) update. https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/usi...

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 125 Replies 125
125 Comments
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2014 Jun 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is beside the point, but nonetheless ...
The Illustrator team’s members seem to not participate in the Fora at all and at least one bug has, despite numerous reports, been maintained for a decade (or more).
So I for one prefer the Photoshop team’s performance when it comes to communicating with users.

Edit: I suspect the two teams very likely have vastly different resources at their disposal so a comparison may not be appropriate, but like I stated above »nonetheless« ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time Chris Cox uses the word "instantly" to reference a time period of 3+ years, he really illustrates the lack of communication going on here. Then, by deleting posts similar to this one for "failure to read", he manages to be simultaneously condescending and ironic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"No, the code from Illustrator would do no good in Photoshop. Different UI systems, different text engines, etc."—Chris Cox

Totally understood that you can't just copy and paste code from the one app to the other.

That said, in fact Illustrator and Photoshop do use the exact *same* text engine. That's why copy paste of formatted text, including OpenType features, works between Illustrator and Photoshop (and does not work between either of those two apps and InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This comment was removed on 2014-06-21 for insulting a host, incorrect information, failing to read what has been posted, and not contributing to the topic]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 23, 2014 Jun 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is in our priority list. But it is a significant work and we are very much hearing your comments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2014 Jul 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 07, 2014 Jul 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was formatting some digital art prints to have done at Sam' Club [great quality great price!] But to get the (c) proper copyright symbol © (which I could do in Microsoft WORD!) I had to do it in InDesign, then save as PDF, THEN copy & paste into the text box of PS - it took it just fine! Thank God.

Why do we have to do so many loops?
My niece, Zoë, was a little offended - & as for the other commentators - touché

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works in Photoshop on a MAC this works:

alt+g = ©
alt+r = ®
alt+v = √
alt+q= °

alt+1= ¡
alt+2= “
alt+3= §
alt+4= £
alt+5= ∞
alt+6= TM
alt+7= ¶
alt+8= [
alt+9= ]
alt+0= ≠

Still I think Adobe needs to UP the priority on this issue..... COME ON ADOBE -

PLEASE LISTEN TO US!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flemming, thanks for the list, it is helpful. I have the shortcuts down for all the keys I need on the Mac (but I know MANY people will love this list!). It's the Windows machines that always get me.

I have a longer list for the Mac of foreign characters & match symbols as a PDF for anyone who needs it, along with Zapf Dingbats equivalents using the link below:

"Symbols & Punctuation Cheat Sheet" & "Typography" Handout
http://onlineinstruct.com/handouts.html

In the above link, at the bottom, my "Typography" handout also has tons of Windows equivalents, but I STILL have to look them up often...

Yes, I do hope Adobe adds it soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kelly–Nice resource. This is not meant as an excuse for denying the need for a glyph panel, but you can build out your PDF handout into a Shapes preset collection to access those common symbol and punctuation marks.

To do so, use the Type tool to generate the font, then Type> Convert to Shape. Next go to Edit> Define Custom Shape... and add it to the current active preset collection. Last go to Edit> Presets> Preset Manager, choose the 'Custom Shapes' type and save out your desired set.

To use, select the Custom Shape tool and select the shape you want to use.

regards,
steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip Steve. I still need a Bullets & Numbered list option for a lot of the web/device mock-ups I do.

Although I can make many of these characters into custom shapes, I prefer to use them as real inline text with a Character Style for Superscript... (more like InDesign layout), so I often end up copying and pasting the Glyph from InDesign or Illustrator into Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 19, 2014 Jul 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add a Glyphs palette/panel to Photoshop. I was hoping the newest version would have one and was so disappointed it doesn't. It is a big problem which is causing dissatisfied customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 05, 2014 Aug 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously guys, I can unpack a Mac from the late 80's and open up Aldus Pagemaker to get things done with glyphs faster than than I can in a 64 bit version of Photoshop?

I've now got corporate attorneys who will not approve my work because of the failings of the software. Do I need to pull out the drafting table and just throw out your software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 05, 2014 Aug 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone, who like me, was having issues with Trade Mark, Service Mark, etc, since Adobe hasn't addressed the problem in the 2 years that this thread has been going on, I have a solution.

Print out the character map for the Windows font "ST Media Symbols Regular" and just reference it to the keyboard.

I'll figure out a way to post a spreadsheet I've created that maps several different fonts so we can just change fonts while we continue to wait for an actual solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 25, 2014 Aug 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love the new font live preview function, but in order for Photoshop to be able to make full use of pro font sets, we really really need a glyphs panel added, just like the one in InDesign. There are plenty of fonts that have multiple alternate characters, and I often was to specifically select each individual letter. Checking contextual alternatives and other options for OT fonts is a step, but not enough. Even if I have a specific string of characters in InDesign, when I copy them in to Photoshop, my glyph selections are overridden. As it is, the only way for me to make Photoshop display a specific glyph or string of glyphs is for me to type it out in InDesign, convert it to outlines, and then paste the outlines into the Photoshop document as a smart object. This isn't a great solution, because I lose text editing capabilities.

Please add a glyphs panel to Photoshop in a future update!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 03, 2014 Sep 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you guys get to glyphs if you don't have Illustrator? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 12, 2014 Oct 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to add my name to this request: glyphs panel to Photoshop. Illustrator and InDesign have had this. As more designers prepare content for multiple devices it would be a great time saver to have a Glyphs panel available for locating special characters or Open Type alternates.

Would very much make my day to have this feature in Photoshop!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 26, 2014 Oct 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can find the full set of glyphs in your font via a different way.
I am a Mac user, and this is what I do:
Open Font Book via the Finder
Find your font, click on it. It is most likely in a "Sample" format. At the top of the window, click Preview, then Repertoire. Your full list of font & glyphs should come up.
Next, to use them, find the glyph you want, click/highlight it, copy (command c) then go to the program you want to use it in and paste (command v). Voila! It should be there now. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Find your font, click on it. It is most likely in a "Sample" format. At the top of the window, click Preview, then Repertoire. Your full list of font & glyphs should come up.
Next, to use them, find the glyph you want, click/highlight it, copy (command c) then go to the program you want to use it in and paste (command v). Voila! It should be there now. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Next, to use them, find the glyph you want, click/highlight it, copy (command c) then go to the program you want to use it in and paste (command v). Voila!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gee Dessirae, that sounds way easier than just using one built into Photoshop. Especially for us Windows users... It's only 7 more steps than necessary. Not a time waster or anything. Adobe needs to start using some of the extra money they make via Creative Cloud subscriptions and put it to use by implementing simple features that have been requested for almost half a decade now...

Additionally, Dessirae, you don't need to post the same comment 5 times...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Next, to use them, find the glyph you want, click/highlight it, copy (command c) then go to the program you want to use it in and paste (command v). Voila! It should be there now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, this does NOT actually work correctly. (1) Any glyph displayed in Font Book that is an unencoded alternate glyph ends up turning into a notdef glyph in Photoshop. (2) The font selection does not come along with the paste operation, just the character code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this additional tip. I really appreciate the help. This is great for fonts on my home system. At work our office uses a professional font management system not Font Book. The server makes it easy to choose a font but not a special character beyond the 256 character set. There is no reason why Photoshop shouldn't have glyph panel feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate