• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export As in Photoshop doesn't seem to work with large document files. Am I right?

Contributor ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I have a Large Doc File (say, over 5GB), I'm unable to Export-As.  After a few minutes of "transforming", I get a "unknown error occurred" alert.  One strange aspect of this command...is that it immediately starts working before you have a chance to choose the settings you want.  It would make more sense if you had a chance to select the save options first.  Anyway, is there a way to get this working for large files?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export is intended for web and mobile devices - small files. There's a size limitation around 8000 pixels or so.

For large files, use Save As. That's the standard output method in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make a duplicate of the original (Image > Duplicate), then use Image > Image size to resize it to the pixel dimensions you want to use for Export (or at least significantly smaller than the original). Then use the duplicate for exporting.

Alternatively, resize the original temporarily, but you must then remember to undo the resizing after exporting.

If the image is for printing, use Save As instead. Export is for creating images for screen viewing, and will strip out the ppi value, as well as most other metadata. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for quick reply...The problem for me is that I often want to sent a small draft by email (larger than a screen grab) to someone.  The export as would be great because it allows you to specify the size.  The alternative of saving another copy, then resizing, etc. is long...but it seems the only option.  Argh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't have to save the duplicate (unless you want to keep it), just close it without saving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, I have a couple of actions for this. Resize > sharpen > Save For Web > close original without saving.

Export still doesn't record in actions (!), so it has to be Save For Web.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good point. Create an action, and the whole process only requires one keystroke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines