• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 22.4 - Missing Save as formats from the menu

New Here ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to the mentioned version and the formats dropdown list only shows 3 formats: Photoshop (*.PSD;*.PDD;*.PSDT), *.PSB and TIFF (*.TIF;*.TIFF).

jane-e_0-1620929274567.png

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

If your file contains items that are not supported in your required format (e.g. layers or 16 bits/channel) then the file format is moved to the Save a Copy menu. This was driven by changes in the Mac Operating System, although the changes are applied to both Mac and Windows versions to keep the two aligned.

What's new in Photoshop

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Hi All,

We appreciate your feedback on the recent “Save a Copy” change. To address your concerns, we have created two new options in Photoshop 22.4.2 that will enable both revert to the legacy “Save As” workflow and/or omit the addended “copy” when saving as a copy. These options can be found in the File Saving Options section under Preferences > File Handling.

To quickly summarize, you will now have the option to revert to the legacy “Save As” workflow (from before recent changes) on both macOS

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jul 09, 2023 Jul 09, 2023

Hi all

You may already know that flatted file formats have been relocated from the "Save as" menu option to the "Save as Copy" option in Photoshop. To learn more about this workflow update, please refer to the following quick tip: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/learn-how-to-save-all-file-formats-from-photoshop-s-save-as-dialog-quick-tip/td-p/12933468?cgen=ZFN4FD71&mv=other

Or see this video tutorial link

Hope it helps,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 839 Replies 839
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2021 May 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually Adobe were kind of forced into this one by Apple making changes in the Mac OS. The change to overcome the issues on Macs  is applied across the board i.e. Macs and Windows

If your file contains items that are not supported in your required format (e.g. layers or 16 bits/channel) then the file format is moved to the Save a Copy menu.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new.html

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In other words, if Adobe had made the needed change only on macOS but not on Windows, then we'd have a different problem with UI/UX differences between the PC & Mac versions of Photoshop going forward, plus Action & plug-in incompatibilities depending on platform.

Which of course wouldn't make people happy either. It's kind of a no-win situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly !

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So now Apple control Adobe poor Microsoft.  I'll stay with Windows. 

I scripted a plug-in SAVE AS script that works in 22.4 that uses Adobe own script code from Export Layers to files is uses a Script dialog not a system dialog.  I can fix the broken Batch actions so the work with out a Save a Copy. The Actions  will work in 22.4 and prior photoshop versions..  The change to Save AS has broken many user actions.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In reality, any operating system has "control" over the applications that run on it. If the OS removes APIs then the applications that use them have to change. Similar things are happening with the deprecation/removal of Open GL on GPUs.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JJMack wrote:

So now Apple control Adobe 

The International Standards Organizations also affect Adobe. When they change the standards, Adobe changes the software.

For example, when W3C changed web standards and said now you need to have close codes and stop using caps; Adobe revised how html code was written. When the ISO that owns PDF rewrites the standards, Adobe revises Acrobat. When Microsoft for Windows comes out with a new version of Office, Acrobat needs to make changes so the PDFMaker works. A couple of times it's take months to get it working again.

Some of the other Adobe software already gives us limited choices in Save As, and everything else is thrown into Export, so this is in line with other applications. I'm not used to it yet, but I'm fully confident that I will be.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe made an incompatible change to "Save As'" in Photoshop in 22.4. That brakes batch actions that use save as to save flat file from layer documents. The change also changes you editing work flow you have the adapt your work for to the change.  Adobe removed the feature they added to save as  years ago that enable Save As to save flat image file types from layer documents.

It  is back to the old days for those old action they need to flatten before save as can save can save flat image formats in Photoshop 22.4. The actions can back up in history to recover the layers they were forced to flatten.  If you are a fool and only use Photoshop 22.4  you can change the actions from Save As to Save a Copy... which is new in Photoshop 22.4  and can do what Save As could do in Prior Photoshop version save a flat image file format from a layered document.  You an not force to flatten then recover you layers. The action will not work in old Photoshop versions they do not have a Save a Copy the can use Save As in old Photoshop versions and don't have to flatten.

In my eyes its a bug unfotunitly Adobe eyes do not see well the see its NEW

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I was trippin'. This is an inconvenient update for sure. Is there a workaround. I thought I did some funky keystroke or something lol. I uninstalled and reinstalled, reset preferences and still just the large format save options unless I choose save as a copy. Is that the only way to save as .psd? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to figure out how to work with this update.  VERY frustrating.  I am trying to adjust to Save a Copy (though I really dislike the "copy" that it adds to the end of the file name).  However, when I launch Photoshop from Lightroom, finish my editing,  use Save a Copy, and then return to Lightroom, LR has forgotten where I was.  If I am working on file #100, I better remember that if I want to get back to the same place.  It "used to" return me back to the image I launched into Photoshop from LR.

I use the ratings to have 3 stars for a pic I most likely want to delete, 4 for one I want to process, and 5 for one that I have processed.  It "used to" keep my .NEF extension when I did a Save As to a jpg, but using Save a Copy, it changes my file name to a .jpg (along with the annoying copy), and again, "looses" my place in LR.

Maybe it is my workflow that is the problem and not Adobe, but for now, it is taking me twice as long to edit images as it did before I installed 22.4.

Whew......frustrating!!!  Hope I explained the dilemna well enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed this too. It adds "copy", annoying, and if you find the folder you want to save into before hitting "Save a Copy", you have to go searching for the folder all over again. I mean, it's all little workflow issues, not a deal breaker. But I feel like workflow is sort of the heart of a program like Photoshop. I'm genuinely confused at this rollout.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 16, 2021 May 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've only been using Photoshop since 1997, this isn't a quizzical remapping of keystrokes or anything. Punching in "save as" hasnt been a simple quick key workflow I've done ten billion times, so it's not like there's any muscle memory or whatever...

So glad we could have this little chat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could of course write to Apple whose operating system changes were the driver for this change.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How am I supposed to know who changed the code, and why should it matter? I'm the end user. Adobe's balls should be broken for creating an impediment in my 25-year-old workflow, especially considering how much money we all pay a month to use this software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the operating systems no longer support certain functions then application developers have no choice, they have to change. 

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's right. The operating system sets all the rules the application has to play by.

This is why Apple stages the WWDC every year. That's where they hand over the stone tablets everybody else has to live by. Like it or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All, 

While not a new feature, the “Save a Copy” update was included in the “What’s New” notes for Ps 22.4 to notify users of the workflow change and highlight the new “Save a Copy” file dropdown option.  

This new save workflow is our current best solution to changes that were made to Mac OS since the release of 10.15. Photoshop relies on the operating system for the main operation of the open and save dialogs. Therefore, we have very little control over how they operate. Prior to the release of 10.15 we were able to control the filename text in the save dialog while the dialog was open. This also allowed Photoshop to safely combine the “Save As” and “Save a Copy” operations into one, enabling people to choose which way to go while the dialog was open. But starting with Catalina, we are no longer able to do that.  

In addressing the change in Mac OS functionality, we are now required to separate the “Save As” and “Save a Copy” operations and finalize the base filename before we present the save dialog. The “Save As” command still functions as it did before, only there is no longer a “Save a Copy” checkbox option to select in order to save to a format that would not fully preserve the document’s contents within the “Save As” dialog box. The new “Save a Copy” command now handles the previous “Save As” case where the “Save a Copy” checkbox option was checked.  

In addition to making the required changes for Mac OS, we implemented the changes for Windows users in order to maintain a consistent user experience across platforms. While this is a significant workflow change, it more closely aligns Photoshop with other Adobe product workflows, like Illustrator, that have also had to grapple with these operating system changes. We are currently investigating some options to allow Windows users to continue utilizing the prior Save As dialog behavior and will have more to share soon. 

Thanks,

Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

el error o mejor lo q dices q no es un error aun persiste no da la opcion de exportar en jpg.

y la opcion de hacer una copia no se como ayuda al flujo de trabajo. en mi opinion no va la opcion o mejor dicha hay q hace u tutortial para ver como ayuda con el flujo de trabajo 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New but certainly not better, WHY after all these years? Share feedback? Hah .... that's rich, Adobe pays no attention to feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Adobe really respected user feedback, there would at least have been an additional alternative to the subscription model a long time ago. Why do they keep doing these user surveys? At the very least, you get the impression that they don't take them into account.

But there has been a very good alternative from the UK for some time now, which has neither a subscription model nor abstruse "copy-save" functions.

Even if it certainly hurts after 30 years of Photoshop use, I am seriously thinking about a permanent change. Many acquaintances have long since done so. More and more understandable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is the "do not like"-button?

There is always a solution for this (as a programmer), to keep it the same way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>we made a decision that leads to major base to rethink and relearn things that they generally do in a way it has been many many years before. cAuSE wE CaN!!1™

Just... why? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@IvikNier wrote:

Just... why? 

You were told why.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought PS was to assist in streamlining the editing process?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow... this is absolutely terrible. To think we pay subscriptions for you to make our experiences even worse! Maybe it's time that I cancel my Creative Cloud subscription and go with the many other solutions out there (most are actually free). Now THAT is a workflow change that I might like

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JJPiedra wrote:

Maybe it's time that I cancel my Creative Cloud subscription and go with the many other solutions out there (most are actually free). Now THAT is a workflow change that I might like

Except that you will find many of those applications already did what Photoshop only recently did. For example in Affinity Photo, one of the best Photoshop alternatives, you will not get any file formats out of Save As other than Affinity native. You still have to choose another command (Export) to get non-native formats.

The main improvement in many other competitors is that they don't inconveniently append Copy to the filename, but otherwise, the way Photoshop changed actually catches up to where more modern applications already are.

I do not deny that the new behavior is a pain. It creates some major hassles. But from what I have seen, switching away from Photoshop to another application may not necessarily get you the old workflow you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines