• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Question about Saving Files (PDF to PSD)

Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2019 Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I lost a work file because of some silly error- I don't know if it was on my end or if it was a bug. I was working on some label designs and saved a few different PDF files. I then went back and resaved the PSD file so I could keep saving my progress. Throughout the process though, when I would save again it would refer back to the PDF file instead of the more recent PSD. I thought this was odd but didn't want to waste time figuring it out. So I spent my time saving my progress navigating back to the folder and psd file for every save. I went to open it this morning and theres only 1 layer everything is compressed into. I opened an earlier save (I only had 2 ) and it's the same way- only 1 layer. What did I do wrong in my initial saving of the PDF that is wasn't properly saving into a PSD?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 24, 2019 Nov 24, 2019

You have fallen into a trap set by poor interface design.

When you save as a PDF you get a warning :

2019-11-24_20-26-34.jpg

If you then choose to uncheck "Preserve Photoshop Editing Capabilities" the saved PDF is flattened

2019-11-24_20-28-42.jpg

That is all well and good BUT...

When you go back to your document and use Save As and select PSD you will find the Layers checkbox has been unchecked. There is a warning , but it is easy to miss:

2019-11-24_20-31-33.jpg

It is a very poor design, in my view, and it catches many people out once !

If you know about it

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have fallen into a trap set by poor interface design.

When you save as a PDF you get a warning :

2019-11-24_20-26-34.jpg

If you then choose to uncheck "Preserve Photoshop Editing Capabilities" the saved PDF is flattened

2019-11-24_20-28-42.jpg

That is all well and good BUT...

When you go back to your document and use Save As and select PSD you will find the Layers checkbox has been unchecked. There is a warning , but it is easy to miss:

2019-11-24_20-31-33.jpg

It is a very poor design, in my view, and it catches many people out once !

If you know about it , you just check that layers checkbox when saving the PSD

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ahh, it didn't used to do that! Thank you ;___;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's been like that as far back as I remember. Like I said, many people get caught out once with it.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines