• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Major lag on timeline with Premiere Pro v 23.1 - macOS

Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since updating to Premiere v 23.1, I'm experiencing serious delays when performing standard actions on the timeline (scrubbing, trimming, playback, etc). Restarting the application seems to provide temporary relief, but performance quickly gets sluggish the longer I edit.

The lag occurs regardless of:

• whether the playback resolution is 1/4 or high
  • whether High Quality Playback is checked
  • whether I've rendered clips on the timeline
  • the type of media (compressed video, proxies, just audio)

I've also tried:

• updating macOS
  • setting my audio input to none
  • clearing the media cache
  • resetting the workspace

I use Productions and am working on the same projects (now upgraded to the new version) that had no performance problems before the last update. If anyone can help me troubleshoot or provide insight, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks, y'all.

System specs

• macOS Monterey
  • Version 12.6.2
  • Mac Pro (Late 2013)
  • Processor 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
  • Memory 64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
  • Startup Disk Macintosh HD
  • Graphics AMD FirePro D300 2 GB
Bug Fixed Locked

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Hello everyone.  I'm pleased to announce that Premiere Pro version 23.2 has just been released with a fix for this issue and some other nice features.  Please update to get the fix.  Thank you to everyone who contributed detailed information.  It was very helpful in tracking down this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 02, 2023 Feb 02, 2023

Hi everyone, I'm the product manager on Premiere Pro and I want to let everyone know that we are working hard to fix this issue.  This is a bad bug for sure.  Our engineers are very confident they have tracked down the root cause and are working hard on a fix.  In the meantime, this is what we know.  We are only getting reports of it affecting MacOS, but the problem could in theory affect Windows too.  Closing and reopening the sequence is the best workaround that we know of right now, but it's

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Mar 11, 2024 Mar 11, 2024

Hi @Mary Betsy and Community Members,

A product manager has announced that this bug has been fixed.

Thank you for hanging in there while the team fixed this bug.

Much Appreciated!
Kevin

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 149 Replies 149
149 Comments
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the future, to find the best place to post your message, use the list here, https://community.adobe.com/

p.s. i don't think the adobe website, and forums in particular, are easy to navigate, so don't spend a lot of time searching that forum list. do your best and we'll move the post if it helps you get responses.

<moved from using the community>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the hard drives (how many, what kind, what is on each, what capacity, and how full)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a few topics about this issue, i also created one and all the answers are similiar like "whats the video codec you're using" or "what are the sequence settings"

Issue is only about the 23.1 version. There is a UI bug in the 23.1 and whenever you switch sequences, it gets slower and slower and slower each time no matter your disks are SSD or HDD or External, or you're working with h264, or mpeg or mov. And i don't know why but people just don't accept this, like it must be about your codecs, not the software.

My only temporary solution is, just install 22.6.3 version. You don't need to uninstall 23.1. I kept it and also installed 22.6.3 and it works like charm. Doing the same video edit. So it's not about codecs or disk emptiness or operating system. its just 23.1 is broken. Hope 23.2 will fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear that you're experiencing poor performance in Premiere Pro. 

If it shows in Creative Cloud Desktop, you could try installing Premiere Pro (Beta) and running it alongside Premiere Pro 23.1. As it's the newest Premiere Pro, it may run better under the latest macOS. If you have a personal plan with Adobe, it should be available. If you have a plan that an administrator manages, it may not be available.

Mod note: Edited for content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I literally spent three weeks troubleshooting and trying all the options above to no avail. I'm officially switching to Resolve. I spent yesterday working on it and it had none of the plethora of issues that I experienced with Premiere. It even cut 6k footage in real time without a hitch. The only reason I'm staying with Premiere is because of the transcript feature. It's unbbelieveable in 2023 that an app like premire is this dysfuntional. This is one of the biggest software fails I ever experiened in my life since I started using a computer. Regardless, I wish Premiere all the best in figuring it out their issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OS 12.4, Premiere Pro 23.1, Source footage is Sony FX3 & A7siii MP4/MOV H.264 10 bit 4:2:2. Effects vary, most clips are just lumetri with the occational warp stabilizer (which I've noticed is way slower than before), an adjustment layer for all footage with a LUT and crop. I've also noticed slow responces when trying to open simple .wav or mp3 files from the sequence in the source monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting. I've had the same issues. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Mary,

Thanks for the report. Great info, thanks. Does the situation resolve if you roll back to 23.0? This may be a bug with this specific version on any version of macOS or model of Mac. It sounds from the outset to be some memory leak. 

I hope we get this fixed soon for you and others here on the thread.

Cheers,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you really expect users to add hours to my their workflow for every project when this was something that was working just fine before the upgrade? I've been using these cameras and codecs for years. I was amazed at how well the M1 macs handled the footage but for some reason this latest version of premiere is the problem as it is not a problem in previous versions or other software. I've seen this posted throughout the forum and rather than suggest that there is a fix coming all I hear is the problem isnt adobe when obviously it needs a patch. I'm considering downgrading and hoping this gets resolved but I work alongside 2 editors using imac pros so the issue of being on different versions of premiere has its own problems. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue and it can be easily reproduced by just opening a project, and opening two timelines and switching between them forward and back. Scubbing the timelines become increasingly unresponsive. Closing the timeline and opening it again temporarily fixes/resets the issue, but the lag just starts increasing again as I switch just between them as I did before.

I'm on an intel mac, Ventura 23.1.

Most importantly, rolling back to 23.0 fixes this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Sorry. This bug could be related, but the whole UI gets stuttery, not just the Timeline: 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/23-1-update-gui-slowly-becomes-sluggish-while-worki...

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin.

My Intel Mac specs are as follows (no issues on the M1, so I wouldn't look into that):
iMac Pro 207
3 GHz 10-core Intel Xeon W
Radeon Pro Vega 56, 8 Gb
RAM 32 Gb

Mac OS Ventura 13.1

The source media is usually Sony XAVC-I footage from either an FX6 or an FX3, but there's the occasional drone footage, Canon footage, phone footage, you name it. But even with proxies, the issues are still there. It is definitely not a source media issue. So yes, I have tried transcoding and creating proxies, but there's absolutely no help at all.

I have tried clearing all caches, fully reinsstalling Premiere, resetting preferences, I've tried multiple different hard drives, I've tried setting my caches, auto-saves and all of that to a different location, I've tried going Hardware vs. Software only. Nothing helps in any way.

I have had dozens of new projects and new sequences. No change in performance. I've also tried to tweak both the project and the sequence settings. No help.

I have tried applying all kinds of effects and I've had projects without effects. But that's not the issue. No matter what effects I use, playback is normal. Everything works fine in terms of playback. The issues are with the interface, the UI. Changing the height of a track, tweaking  the size of the program monitor or the timeline, opening up an effects menu, changing panels, tweaking the effects controls.

All of this aside, the solution for me was to downgrade to 23.0. It works fine. So there's no point in trying to look for the issue in our computers or in what we do. If an older version works fine but the newer one doesn't, it's definitely a software bug issue. And it's a major issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin, your latest link seems to be the same issue for sure. But for me, restart won't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Kevin. Also, anyone else having the part of the issue where it constantly seems they need to re-render some footage without making changes? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for moving this to the bug forum. I haven't tried editing a 100% brand-new project since the upgrade, but I've added existing projects into two new productions that have had the same issues.

I've also:

• split projects up to make them smaller
  • reset preferences
  • upgraded my external drive to an SSD (needed to do anyway)
  • switched my media cache location

Don't know whether this is helpful, but thought I'd share just in case.

And I really appreciate the feedback on my tutorial videos. I've learned about so many cool features in Premiere by making them. Big fan!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rett5DE3 Having the same issue with needing to re-render footage. Sometimes it preserves a render. Other times not. Also seeing sporadic compression artifacts on footage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issues, pro updated during my last video edit and now it's doing the strangest things, if I want to use the cut tool first I have to click on it but nothing happens, then all I have to do is click on edit, go back and click on the workspace and now I have the cut tool, same procedure to get any other tools or to apply any effects, empty the cache no help, I have plenty of memory and RAM.  could I just roll back to 22.6 until this gets fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh and I have this strange noise coming from my speakers only when pro is open

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can roll back through the 23.x versions without troubles with working in that 23.x version project file. An earlier 23 version might fix your ills at this time.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently in the same boat. Exact same problems and temporary solutions. Even replaced the Mac Studio with the exact model and had the same problems. UPVOTE 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixed this morning by rolling back to 23! 

I see others found the same conclusion. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Austin,

Are you using any third-party plug-ins in the sequence? 

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I am not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reporting back. We can count third-party plug-ins out as a source of the issue. It's good to know. Let's keep digging. 

Votes

Translate

Translate