• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere pro 2024 randomly crashes in big project

Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2024 Apr 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A collegue of mine works on pretty big projects (multiple terabytes of material) and PP 2024 crashes randomly during his workflow. 

- It doesn't crash on a specific action
- PC resources are not being used to the extreme when this happens

Because there is so much video material, they are importing lots of different video formats. Containers i encountered are .mp4 .MXF .CRM .MOV .jpg .WAV. Videos with all these formats coem from different sources and have different resolution ranging from 1920x1080 to 4096x2160 or even 6k in some cases. Most videos are 25 frames per second, while fewer files have different fps (29.97).

All of the source footage have been re-rendered as proxies from PP options (ProRes Quicktime; frame size: half)

Only a few effects have been added, along with a few video transitions.
Sequence settings are 1920x1080 25fps.

Video renderer is set to Mercury playback engine GPU acceleration CUDA

RAM available for Premiere Pro: 116GB

Playback is smooth and everything works well, until it crashes randomly without giving any error popup.

I tried clearing cache, but it didn't help. 

The guy had been given another PC to use temporarily, but the same issue persisted on that PC. This made me to believe the problem was in this project itself.

PC specs:
Model: DELL Precision 7920

CPU: Intel Xeon Silver 4210 2.2GHz - 20 cores 40 threads

GPU: NVIDIA RTX A4000

RAM: 128GB DDR4 2400MHz

Storage: Samsung 990 M.2 - 2TB (OS) along with multiple additional SSD and HDD drives (due to huge amount of video files) 

The temporary PC he was using as a replacement had even better hardware..

I tried to find the log files, but there were none in the "reports" folder.
If anyone could help me troubleshoot it would be great, i will provide you with more info or even screenshots if needed.

Bug Needs More Info
TOPICS
Computer configuration , Editing and playback , Performance or Stability

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Apr 30, 2024 Apr 30, 2024

Though it often seems that way, problems are never random. 🙂

I don't see any crash reports from your email address; if you send me your colleague's email address (directly, not in public), we can take a look. 

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate
3 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Though it often seems that way, problems are never random. 🙂

I don't see any crash reports from your email address; if you send me your colleague's email address (directly, not in public), we can take a look. 

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't mention if he's using the appropriate form of Premiere Pro for large projects, Productions. Single large project files are more prone for this sort of behavior, and can be harder to sort out.

All project files are nothing but metadata ... and if one bit somewhere is a bit off or odd, things can go south. Finding that bit can be difficult.

One process is to create a new project, and use the MediaBrowser panel to import the sequences of the original project one at a time. That can sometimes show up where something is ok, but another sequence is where it goes popeyed.

I'll include the links to the relevant Productions information. Their Long Form pdf is probably the best help and protocols piece they've produced for working in PrPro.

Premiere Pro Productions Introduction

Using Productions in Premiere Pro

Adobe Long-form and Episodic Best Practices Guide 

Jarle’s blog expansion of the pdf Multicam section: Premiere Pro Multicam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for this info, i myself wasn't aware of PP Productions option. I will look into it and try to establish a certain workflow with my colleague.

Votes

Translate

Translate