Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slow thumbnail generation in Premiere Pro

Participant ,
May 31, 2020 May 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have this problem already for almost 2 years and I cannot seem to find a solution for it. And I am not the only one: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/33849352-save-thumbnails-ca...

The generating of thumbnails in the project window is annoyingly slow. It really is the only thing in Premiere that slows the whole editing process down. Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbCvkeJvLv4&feature=youtu.be

It is not really the generation of thumbnails itself I believe. The thumbnails can generate quite fast, but Premiere only generates the ones that are visible in the project window at that moment. So the moment I scroll down it has to generate those that become visible...than I have to wait...scroll down...etc. Only this way I can make all the thumbnails instantly available when needed. But once I close Premiere...and start up the project a next time it all starts over again. The thumbnails don't seem to be generated all in one time and also don't seem to be saved or cached in a way.

I already tried a lot, tweaking with cache settings. Using another drive especially for my cache, etc. But more and more am I convinced it is a Premiere problem, or am I (and the other people that voted on Adobe User Voice) doing something wrong here?

The files in the example movie are 1080p, 10-bit, h.264, 4:2:2 .mov files, straight from a GH5 camera. But I get the same problem with 8-bit files and other codecs/container formats.

My system setup is: I7-5930K processor, 32 gb of RAM, Geforce GTX 1060 6gb and I edit from a internal Samsung SSD 970 PRO 1TB M.2 NVMe drive (where also my cache directories are located...not ideal, but should be fast enough). I also tried to put my cache on another internal HDD (7.200rpm), but get the same results. Besides that I have the latest version of Premiere, latest version of windows 10 and I update my hardare drivers regularly.

Also good to mention that my OS and software is installed on a seperate SSD and that the Samsung 970 PRO is only used foor footage, project files and the caching.

The slow thumbnail generation was the reason for me to buy the Samsung SSD 970 PRO 1TB M.2 NVMe hoping it would speed up the process and also to try Davinci Resolve which indeed is much faster with stuff like this...but sadly has its own flaws.

Bug Started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Apr 04, 2024 Apr 04, 2024

Hello @Itam@jimmyji32@mertgrkm@rd010123@Matthew Johnson Films & others on the thread,

I read that the issue is fixed in current builds, but I am still hearing reports that it is not fixed. If not, I apologize for that. I can let the product team know.

Let the community know what's going on by testing with a new project. Sorry for the frustration.

Thanks,
Kevin

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate
28 Comments
Participant ,
Jul 10, 2024 Jul 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Kevin-Monahan and the others,

I posted this 4 years ago and because a motherboard mallfunction I needed to renew my editing system end of last year.
At the moment I am running Premiere (always up-to-date) on a i7-13700K with 32gb ram combined with a RTX 3060 on Win 11. I run everything with seperate SSD's for OS and software, footage and cache.

Although the loading is quicker than before, there is still a lag when I open my footage bin in Premiere and scroll inside it. I don't know if I am just too demanding and impatient, but it just would be nice if I could see all of my thumbnails all at once. I don't mind waiting during startup of premiere, but having a fluent workflow during editing is just a thing that helps getting into that editing flow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Aug 22, 2024 Aug 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed! I'm working on an archival heavy project right now and thumbnail loading is glacial. This sounds insane, but I've found that interacting with the UI (i.e. scrolling up and down) will make them generate faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 22, 2024 Aug 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Agreed. Still a problem in August 2024. No new builds have helped this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate