• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro crashes when typing in italics and using certain combinations of letters

Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're using the text box feature and your premier keeps crashing, this might be the post for you.

I'll keep this very simple. When you create a new textbox and type the letters "f" and "I" in your text box (in my case, I was trying to type the word "first"), it will crash Premiere Pro. I was adding a subtitle to a video in the middle of a sentence, which stopped my progress for a solid hour! I couldn't figure out what was happening. I tried typing all different types of sentences and using profanity to see if I had triggered some hidden language blocker, but nope!

I can't find a workaround, so I'll have to create an image file for just one line of subtitles. Hoping this is an easy fix on Adobe's end.

Let me know if this is a me-only issue! Thanks in advance for the help.

Mod note: The title was changed from The Most Infuriating Text Box Crash of All Time to a title that describes the issue.

Bug Started
TOPICS
Graphics , Performance or Stability

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 06, 2023 Jun 06, 2023

This happens when entering a ligature set, like fi, ff, tt and others, with a ligature-enabled font AND using faux italics at the same time. We have an open bug on this and it should be fixed soon, although I can't say exactly when yet.

For now, the best workarounds are:
(1) Don't use the Faux Italic button for text with ligatures. Instead, choose a font that actually includes an Italics Font Style. (see item 2)
(2) Don't use Lucidia Grande font or other fonts that may have incomplete ligature supp

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Mar 12, 2024 Mar 12, 2024

Hello Community,

I created an internal bug report for this issue. I hope that it will help get this issue fixed ASAP. I apologize for the time it took to address this problem. If you have not upvoted the bug in the upper-left corner of this community bug report, please do so.

I upvoted. I hope this gets fixed shortly.

Thanks,
Kevin

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 18, 2024 Mar 18, 2024

Hello Community,

The fix for this issue is underway. The status is "Started." I apologize for the problem. I hope a fix for this issue comes ASAP.

Thanks,
Kevin

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate
43 Comments
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good afternoon,

I have discovered a bug within the software, and I'll try to describe it as best as possible.

1: When using the "Text" tool.

2: First you create the red box/space, where the text overlay the video.

3: When writing, I have found that whenever I uses the Itallic function, and type a word that contains specific letters, this combination will result in the entire program crashing.

4: I have found the combination of a word that contains the letter "f", while in Itallics, forces the Premier to shut down.

5: Through the process of discovering the bug's origins, I have lost multiple hours of work.

6. Which in turn, forces me to save my work every 5-10 minutes, at the risk of the program crashing whenever I use the Itallic function.

I hope this helps and can be resolved soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not seeing this problem, I tried a couple of different fonts, with and without ligatures selected in prefs.

I'm on Premiere 2023, Mac OS 12.6, 3.6 GHz 10-Core Intel Core i9.

What's your OS and Premiere version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Gar,

I haven't had a crash, but I had trouble with combinations of letters. I believe a ligature setting in the Essential Graphics panel needs disabling. Our Adobe Premiere Pro Expert @PECourtejoie can probably lend a hand here.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Macbook Pro 2022 edition with the M1 chip.

As far as performance is concerned, I had no issues putting together a 51gb documentary.

The font that I've been using is "lucida grand"

Text size hasnt been an issue.

Specifically, it's the combination of any word containing the letter "f", and then put into itallics.

It doesn't happen 100% of the time, and is not consistent.

But it's happened over 10 times in the last three weeks of consistent use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the vote of confidence, Jevin, I'll try to do my best replicate the issue, but my gut feeling is that there are other parameters at play. Is it a US English install? @Gar_bq are you also using the M1 processor? Latest Pr version? Which font is in use? Is the crasher caused by italics? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey!

Sorry for the late reply. I've buried myself in editing recently.

I do have a USA English install that I have a license for through a University. I'm using an M1pro MacBook pro.

Font: Lucinda Grande

Formatting: Text Coloring, Resizing

Replicable Issue: After typing "...fi" in a text box premier will crash. I just now had another crash typing the word "significant".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to mention above: Version 22.6.2 (Build 2)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gar,

I suggest you update to v.23 or later to check for a fix. You can install it alongside your existing apps. Could you check Creative Cloud preferences to ensure you keep legacy versions?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated to the latest v23. Issue not resolved. I've also learned that I can't type "ff" either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if clearing your font caches might help. Here's a  page detailing that process. Note the section on Adobe caches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why would the issue have to do with clearing the caches, when there appears to be many people experiencing the same bug? I have had the program crash on me three different times, just this morning.

I'm working on a project that is going to take over 100 hours of work from Premier, and 75% of the project involves a text-overlay. I cannot stress how annoying it is to CONSTANTLY have to save my work every single time I want to use itallics... at the risk of the program crashing and losing my progress.

When I get in the zone and forget to save my work, is when the crashes most often occur and I lose what I've written, and have to do it all over again, while trying to remember what I'd originally typed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an idea—no need to try it if it's not worth your time.

Edit:

I take it back...if I use Lucida Grande faux italics with a text string that would normally have a f ligature, the text box expands and the text does not appear. Premiere doesn't crash, but something's going on. I also tried the same text properties in Photoshop and got a program error. If I switch to Lucida Unicode things seem to work as expected.

Is the issue restricted to Lucida Grande? I don't know. I never use that font, and I haven't seen it with the fonts I use, so I'm not inclined to investigate too much further.

I guess I'll stay out of this discussion and leave it to people who are experiencing the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So until this bug gets fixed I've found a temporary (but annoying) workaround.

When typing words with "fi" or "ff" (or whatever is crashing your premier), add in a period after the "f". Then, individually shrink that period down to size one font. It will appear as if there is nothing between the "f" and the next letter. You can also keep large bodies of text in your workstation without worrying about more abstract formatting issues.

I'd recommend typing out dialogue in a word processing software like word or google docs, and then running a 'replace all' for "ff" and "fi" with "f.f" and "f.i".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, on this machine, I do not have Lucida Grande.

BUT, I noticed, in Preferences>Graphics, there is a checkmark for ligatures.

Did you try disabling it to see if it fixes your issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2022 Dec 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like a font conflict.

Validate all fonts currently installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2022 Dec 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already reported this bug a few weeks ago, and there was a community discussion about this issue...

No update has been implemented to fix the issue, so I'm reporting it again.

Using Premiere:

-Create a text overlay/text-box

-Change font to Lucida Grande

-Change font to italics

-Font size doesn't seem to matter, (put it to 20 if you want to replicate where I've discovered the bug)

-Type any word that contains the letters "fi" (for example: type the word first, or finally, or finished)

-This will cause the program to crash, and exit you out completely.

-It's not just the font style "Lucida Grande" that experiences this bug/crashing. There are others that I have experiemented with.

__________________________________________________________________________________

I cannot express how frustrating and annoying this bug is.

I am over 100 hours deep into a video project, with more than 100 hours to go.

This project has A LOT of information, in the form of text that I've added to each "slide".

I've literally had premier crash on me over 60 times in the last month, all because of THIS BUG.

I've lost hours of work, and have had to retype the same things over and over again.

I've had to change my auto-save setting for every 5 minutes, due to the risk of losing my work.

I cannot express how distruptive this bug is, when I am focused on writing and lose my entire train of thought, due to the program crashing on me when I forget about the bug. I do not like having to ALWAYS have my mind on the program crashing, when I want to focus on writing without interruption.

Why hasn't it been fixed yet? Considering how advanced the rest of the program is... the developers should be able to fix this issue rather quickly/simply. The customers are being charged money each month, to use this program... it would be nice to see some of that monthly income, to pay a developer for his time to fix the issue.

Time is money, and I have lost a tremendous amount of time on account of something as petty as this "fi".

Also: I have the most current version of premier, and have a 2022 Macbook Pro with the M1 chip. I have zero performance issues when using Premier. My ONLY PROBLEM is with this bug I'm reporting on.

Thank you,

Have a good day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 29, 2022 Dec 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brandon274946644rge,

We're sorry about the poor experience. We're able to reproduce this issue & will try our best to get this addressed as soon as possible. Please let us know the other font types with which you are experiencing this issue.

Thanks,

Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply.

While using the same parameters of italics + words with the letters "fi":

Other font types experiencing the same crash:

Noto Sans Adlam

Noto Sans Armenian

Noto Sana Avestan

I have not cared to experiement with all the different variations of  "Noto Sans ________" that are also listed in the fonts to choose from, because the first four on the list, all crashed.

I have not experiemented beyond Lucida Grande and the ones mentioned above.

Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also wanted to mention, it's not just "fi" that causes the crash.

"ff" also has the same result.

For example: try spelling the words "off", "office", "official", etc.

Premiere will crash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2023 Jan 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently the italics "ff" and "fi" are not the only triggers for causing the program to crash.

Just found another one, which is using the same font of Lucida Grande, and attempting to use BOLD text while typing the same letters. "ff" and "fi"creates the same crash as itallics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your valuable input. We will share this with the team.

-Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the status on these issues being fixed?

I am not even halfway done with my project, and am still experiencing these issues (with my Premiere crashing) every single time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I originally posted my first bug report, early/mid December.

I posted my second bug report on the same issue (a couple of weeks later)

Here it is January 20th, and I have not seen any Premiere Updates that have fixed the issue.

Here are screenshots from my second bug report and the thread (for reference)

Screen Shot 2023-01-20 at 9.43.32 AM.pngScreen Shot 2023-01-20 at 9.43.38 AM.pngScreen Shot 2023-01-20 at 9.43.47 AM.pngScreen Shot 2023-01-20 at 9.43.57 AM.png

Please get this fixed or give me 50% off my annual subscription cost.

My project is probably going to take 500 hours of work, and I'm not even halfway done...

I have experienced over 100 crashes since beginning in November.

I have lost so much time having to go back and re-write whatever amount I've lost. I lose my train of thought and it's entirely disruptive to my work-flow.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 05, 2023 Jun 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very frustrating. I read the issue with the "fi" so i added a space between the f and i for the word i needed and adjusted the tracking/kerning. This allowed me to keep italic. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 05, 2023 Jun 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Brandon274946644rge and @Melodie23163875mqei,

My belief is that this bug affects macs and not pcs. I'm on PC and cannot replicate, but there are reports of crashes simply typing a ligature.

While they are working on this bug, a workaround SHOULD be turning off ligatures. This was discussed in one of the other threads:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/the-most-infuriating-text-box-crash-of-all-time/idi...

But it appears to me that this wasn't entirely clear, and Brandon, I did not see you mention whether you tried that or not.

For a description of turning ligatures off in regular text and also captions, see this post:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/adding-caption-crash-premiere/m-p/13071437#M...

I just tested in Beta 23.6.0.7, so I think all this holds true for the current release 23.4.0.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate