• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro crashes when typing in italics and using certain combinations of letters

Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're using the text box feature and your premier keeps crashing, this might be the post for you.

I'll keep this very simple. When you create a new textbox and type the letters "f" and "I" in your text box (in my case, I was trying to type the word "first"), it will crash Premiere Pro. I was adding a subtitle to a video in the middle of a sentence, which stopped my progress for a solid hour! I couldn't figure out what was happening. I tried typing all different types of sentences and using profanity to see if I had triggered some hidden language blocker, but nope!

I can't find a workaround, so I'll have to create an image file for just one line of subtitles. Hoping this is an easy fix on Adobe's end.

Let me know if this is a me-only issue! Thanks in advance for the help.

Mod note: The title was changed from The Most Infuriating Text Box Crash of All Time to a title that describes the issue.

Bug Started
TOPICS
Graphics , Performance or Stability

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 06, 2023 Jun 06, 2023

This happens when entering a ligature set, like fi, ff, tt and others, with a ligature-enabled font AND using faux italics at the same time. We have an open bug on this and it should be fixed soon, although I can't say exactly when yet.

For now, the best workarounds are:
(1) Don't use the Faux Italic button for text with ligatures. Instead, choose a font that actually includes an Italics Font Style. (see item 2)
(2) Don't use Lucidia Grande font or other fonts that may have incomplete ligature supp

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Mar 12, 2024 Mar 12, 2024

Hello Community,

I created an internal bug report for this issue. I hope that it will help get this issue fixed ASAP. I apologize for the time it took to address this problem. If you have not upvoted the bug in the upper-left corner of this community bug report, please do so.

I upvoted. I hope this gets fixed shortly.

Thanks,
Kevin

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 18, 2024 Mar 18, 2024

Hello Community,

The fix for this issue is underway. The status is "Started." I apologize for the problem. I hope a fix for this issue comes ASAP.

Thanks,
Kevin

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate
43 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 06, 2023 Jun 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens when entering a ligature set, like fi, ff, tt and others, with a ligature-enabled font AND using faux italics at the same time. We have an open bug on this and it should be fixed soon, although I can't say exactly when yet.

For now, the best workarounds are:
(1) Don't use the Faux Italic button for text with ligatures. Instead, choose a font that actually includes an Italics Font Style. (see item 2)
(2) Don't use Lucidia Grande font or other fonts that may have incomplete ligature support. Myriad Pro fully supports ligatures and has an Italics Font Style.

@Brandon274946644rge It also sounds like you're dealing with a lot of Graphics and Text Layers which are already using a problematic font and leading to the same crash. If possible, consider using the "Replace Fonts in Projects..." feature which can be found in the Graphics and Titles menu and looks like this:
ReplaceFonts.png
Please let us know if that helps or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 12, 2024 Mar 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crazy. I have just experienced the same issue in Photoshop (Mac M1) took me a while to work out why everytime I imported some text the program would crash. Eventually pinpointed it down to typing "fi" using a font called 'Silom' . No problem with other fonts. So yeah definitely a non-adobe font issue.  Luckily I only have to change the words "fierce" and "office" other than that only solution is use a different font. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reporting on the bug, @Artwel. I thought it was fixed but it looks like it is still out there. I will see that a bug is filed for the issue internally. Take care.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Community,

I created an internal bug report for this issue. I hope that it will help get this issue fixed ASAP. I apologize for the time it took to address this problem. If you have not upvoted the bug in the upper-left corner of this community bug report, please do so.

I upvoted. I hope this gets fixed shortly.

Thanks,
Kevin

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 18, 2024 Mar 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Community,

The fix for this issue is underway. The status is "Started." I apologize for the problem. I hope a fix for this issue comes ASAP.

Thanks,
Kevin

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 20, 2024 Mar 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So i create videos with FULL SCREEN slates on them..the slates have custom text. I use Lucida Grande as the font.

Everytime I type a word with two Fs in a row onto the slate, premiere crashes. The monitor turns black for a half a second and when it comes back on, premiere is closed. I try to open my autosaved project and that too won't open...so i have to create a new project.

Am i going nuts or is there a bug where its impossible to type words in premiere with 2 Fs in a row? I did experiment with other fonts, and Arial and Times New Roman allow words with 2 Fs, but my particular font does not. 

Am i going nuts? Has anyone else ran into a similar issue? Can someone else try to see if it works for them and may be an issue with my MAC in particular? Thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This also happens if i type the word in a different app and paste it into premiere, the app crashes. so weird. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try turning off ligatures in Preferences

MyerPj_0-1710987453671.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, no luck though. Still crashes when i simply type OFF in text tool. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downloaded and installed that font and I'm getting the ligatures just fine.

Here's where I downloaded: https://font.download/font/lucida-grande

Win11 23H2, PP 24.2.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might try uninstalling that font, rebooting and reinstalling... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So one final piece of info. I also have italics on....when i take italics off, i'm able to type OFF. So i guess its something with the italics....

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doing more info..i see its a known bug:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/premiere-pro-crashes-when-typing-in-italics-and-usi...

Oh well. I guess i have to avoid using FF for the time being, or use a different font. We'll see what my surperiors say. Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using that font I linked to:

MyerPj_0-1710994613626.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried redownloading that font and im still getting an issue. Based on that old thread, it may only be a MAC issue and not a PC issue. Are you on PC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2024 Mar 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@michaelm38789783,

Yes, I think it is Mac only. I see your thread has been merged to this longer one that includes the most complete statement of this bug. Good work on tracking down the issue. The first reports I saw were in PR 2022, and were crashes on Mac when typing any ligature combination - I saw no comments about italics, so perhaps it was always this issue.

In any event, I happened to have PR 2023.6.4 open and tested there, PR 2022, and the current 24.2.1. I used Lucida Grande with faux captions and I see no problem - yep, I am on Win 10.

@Kevin-Monahan, Thanks for getting this back on track and reporting the status.

@jstrawn, Are we correct that this is Mac only? Is your pinned reply still the best statement of workarounds?

Everyone: remember that on Bug reports and Ideas (feature requests), the important number is the voting box at the top left of the original post.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Stan Jones Current reports indicate that the problem is Mac only. And yes the best workaround is to avoid certain fonts (like Lucidia Grande, but there could be others out there) when entering characters that could become  ligatures (ff, fi, tt, etc...). Unfortunately problem involves components outside of PrPro itself, which is why a fix has not already happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, PC. Win11-23H2, PP 24.2.1

Votes

Translate

Translate