Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

4 hours on a DVD

New Here ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm using Encore CS4 and want to build a 4 hour project.

Encore seems to handle 2 hour projects max.

In fact I want to use LP instaed of SP.

Does anyone know how to change that setting?

Thanks, Soru

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

SAFEHARBOR11  wrote

Hi Soru,

One option would be to use Dual-Layer DVD media, with twice the capacity, but that can cause headaches in authoring and the DL discs may not have the same wide compatibility of standard DVD-R discs.

That used to be the case but no longer as long as you take care in preparing the replication master, and these days I quite forget the last time I saw a set top player that cannot handle DVD+R DL media, although DVD-R DL are a right royal PITA and should be avoided at all co

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The sudden you're looking for is the bitrate settings for the transcode of the video. Encore will not accept a video with a bitrate below 1.5. I forget how long a video is at that rate. Just said it to CBR 1.5 and see what size you get. Remember that it DVD and actual bites is only 4.37 GB not 4.7.

If you also have an audio, that will take space, and there's an overhead for the disc itself. You may have to try it with no menus. The quality will be poor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With very limited menu, try Mbps 2.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Soru,

One option would be to use Dual-Layer DVD media, with twice the capacity, but that can cause headaches in authoring and the DL discs may not have the same wide compatibility of standard DVD-R discs.

With 4.7GB media, a bitrate of 2.2mbps should just fit (no motion menus!) and let Encore use the default Dolby audio transcoding which I believe is 192kbps. From Premiere, export as MPEG-2 DVD and manually set 2-Pass VBR encoding option with 2.2 Target bitrate. Import the resulting .m2v and .wav files into Encore. Not recommended to use any Dynamic Link or other gimmicks.

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SAFEHARBOR11  wrote

Hi Soru,

That used to be the case but no longer as long as you take care in preparing the replication master, and these days I quite forget the last time I saw a set top player that cannot handle DVD+R DL media, although DVD-R DL are a right royal PITA and should be avoided at all costs - you cannot set a manual layer break on DVD-R DL as it will automatically split your data down the middle.

Running 4 hours of video at 2Mbps is asking for trouble and very poor quality footage as this is almost the bare minimum allowed in specs - it will look shoddy at the very best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There used to be a free? program that let you rebuild your mpeg-dvd file to a much smaller one so it would fit on dvd, and maintain quality.

I think it was able to convert a 4 hours file to a 2 hour file.

Cannot remember the name.

Edit: dvd shrink?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yep, that was it. No longer updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines