• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Premiere Pro CC Glitches Screen & Crashes Computer

Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2014 Jan 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been experiencing this problem for about three weeks now. I am editing on a MacBook Pro with 2.4 GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250SSD, Thunderbolt to 3TB drive, and a thunderbolt-DVI adapter to Apple Cinema Display. I am editing 4K RED EPIC footage and my computer is wigging out on me.

I have been editing high quality footage on this machine with these drives and settings for a while. I originally thought this was a CUDA issue or graphics card issue. I switched to OpenCL and edited for a while and had the same issue again. I even took my machine to Apple and they put a new logic board and graphics chipset in it because we thought that would solve the issue. Again, same problems. I originally thought this might be just a Premiere Pro issue, however today I was exporting a 10 minute 4K, downgrade to 1080p video in AME and had the same glitch issue. This is what happens when a crash occurs:

1. Slowed perfomance of timeline and video responsiveness
  2. Program window goes either Black, White, or Gray (when this happens, I know it's game over... Thank you Auto-Save)
  3. Clicking, Moving Mouse, Typing, ANYTHING from there gives me a completely glitching out display for around 1 minute
  4. Whole screen goes black, seconds later...
  5. Log in screen

The attached pictures give you an idea of what the screen is looking like when the glitch occurs.

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 4.JPG

Anyone experience this issue? Everything I have is up to date including CUDA, the Apps themselves, everything.

THANKS!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 680 Replies 680
Explorer ,
Oct 12, 2014 Oct 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

10.9.5 does not solve the issues sadly

I'm still having the same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 12, 2014 Oct 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

10.9.5 hasn't solved anything for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 24, 2014 Dec 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more user to add to this queue of "depressed angered in need for a solution praying to god albeit being atheist". My iMac 27" Late 2012 is coming back today from Apple service center where they kept it almost one month trying to reproduce any of the issues I had reported and been dealing with since June 2014. The first attempt they made was two months ago and they replaced the screem the mother board and graphics card given they are mounted on the same board. The computer came back and some of the problems namely ghosting had been fixed by thei procedure but the main issue which is crashing when I intend to render a PP project in 4K still remains. After numerous conversations with Applecare they refused to replace my machine although I insisted and escalated it to the second level justifying my demands to change the machine on the basis that what my iMac 27" with everything I could throw at it when buying it, the fastest processor, 32GB of RAM and 750GB SSD which I have not installed anything else on than Adobe CC applications and kept 500GB of clean space to use as cache memory and when I just can't take it anymore because I need to render a project (I spent one whole week troubleshooting one project and making multiple changes to my render just to try and render it without success) so when I arrive at that point I disconnect my Thunderbolt discs from the iMac and connect them to my MacBook Pro Late 2012 also and the thing just renders like there is nothing happening, no efforts and not overheating and never never never crashes.

I am really at the limit of toleration and need a fix because this is taking a serious toll on my all-time admiration of Adobe products but now with this issue pending...I am at loss for words to say how irritated I am and am asking that Adobe step up the actions to try and fix this so that we can start the new year in a productive and joyful atmosphere. Sorry if I singled out Adobe to fix this but thru deduction and trial and error I have come to believe that my computer ONLY has issues when trying to render with PP or AME...nothing else I do with this computer makes it crash or behave strangely.

HELP PLEASEEEEEEEEEEE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2015 Jan 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem with Imac 27" late 2013

24GB ram

4GB Nvidia 780M

3TB fusion drive

The first problem is the blue ghost that I'm dealing since August. Now I'm experiencing all sort of glitching if I need to work with 4k or 5k footage.

Softwares I have been using.

Adobe Premiere CC

After Effects CC

Davinci Resolve 11 (Most used and had the most problems)

image1.JPGimage3.JPGimage4.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope Adobe sort this out very soon. It's clearly a problem for a lot of people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's not adobe, it's apple problem. The same thing happen on davinci resolve or any other software that demands a high usage of the GPU with high resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2015 Jan 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually it looks like a CUDA issue. I've seen reports of people completely disabling CUDA and the Kernel Panics and glitches stopping. Resolve also uses CUDA

It could also be the Nvidia  graphics card drivers which apple would have to issue in an update.

Whatever the problem is, many of us are having it and it shouldn't be happening. I only work at 1080p

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone have a fix for this?

Ive just had my 5th Kernel Panic of the day. I'm desperate and won't get paid if I don't finish this work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try changing your project properties PP to Rendering with "Mercury Playback Engine Software only" not Using CUDA or not even Mercury Playback GPU Acceleration Open CL. Then if you render using AME use the same Render engine software only. Than reboot your computer and try rendering with these setups. It works for me perfectly, it's longer to render but it does not crash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2015 Jan 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issues. I'm using Premiere Pro CS6 though. When using the mercury playback with CUDA. Can barely edit any 4k footage from my GoPro Hero 4. I also have my resolution set at 1920x1200

(MacBook Pro Retina Mid 2014)

2.8 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

OSX Yosemite 10.10.1 (14B25)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2015 Jan 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Early 2013 Retina MBP here.

Some crashing and glitches since late 2014. Now, lots of glitches!

Running latest Adobe and Apple updates.

Screen Shot 2015-01-13 at 17.18.25.png

Screen Shot 2015-01-12 at 16.35.06.png

Screen Shot 2015-01-13 at 16.20.01.png

Screen Shot 2015-01-09 at 08.35.23.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I POSTED THE BELOW INFO ON ANOTHER POST AND THOUGHT IT COULD HELP SOME HERE:

Please add my name to the constantly growing numbers of people having major issues with Premiere Pro. I have an iMac late 2012 with 32GB Ram, i7Processor, SSD Hard Drive and Connected External GTech Thunderbolt 2 Discs. I use my Computer's hard drive which is the fastest of my discs to cache to and have not installed anything else than the Adobe CC Apps I work with. PP, AE, LR, Ps, Sg & Br I did this after the iMac which we thought Apple and I was the cause of my problems and it came back from the second time in service (this time Apple kept it for almost a month trying everything they could throw at it and found nothing wrong with the computer. Nonetheless in both occasions the changed the MOtherBoard and Graphics card which is an Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX. The first time they even changed the Full screen as I was getting ghosting and flickers and pixels appearing on screen when working in Premiere Pro, so Apple assumed it may have been my screen. I am running OSX Yosemite 10.10.1 and Adobe CC 2014 apps.

So here we are 6 months after this started and I still am having the same issues as reported by others in previous post above! In addition I also have another issue which I tried fixing using suggestions in other posts about the problem to no avail. When I send a render/encode order from Premiere Pro to render in AME all works well, the project loads and when I am ready I do the render thru AME and it works (except when it crashes as reported above...;-)))) But if I send a render from AE to AME it won't accept it. AME opens and it just satys there waiting for the project to load and it never loads. I even tried doing it manually by opening AME and placing the AE project in AME manually but the projet will not load.

Ok well, I hope you gus at Adobe took some rest during the holidays because you have yourselves a load of work to fix this in 2015.

Jose

P.S: Oh and for the record, I just remembered this detail because it just happened...again. When I've had it with crashes rendering, like this yesterday and morning trying to render a project to which I made some changes and nothing works. I disconnect my external hard drives on which I have all the data and connect them to my MacBook Pro late 2012 which only has 16GB of ram and a much slower processor running on the same OSX Yosemite and it just renders the darn thing, never complains, never crashes. The issues are clearly between Premiere Pro and new machines with fast cards such as mine using Cuda etc etc. The only problem with this backup arrangement is it takes three hours to render a 4 minute film in 4K. Makes me think that when this render is done I will try and render it on my iMac not using Cuda engine...we'll see....

UPDATE UPDATE

As mentioned in my earlier comment, I experimented with rendering using non CUDA engine. When I tried with Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (OpenCL) it failed just as when I do it with (CUDA) To my not so much surprise the render worked fine using the Mercury Playback Engine Software Only which probably explains why I was always able to render without issues using my MacBook Pro late 2012. So for now I have a solution hopefully a temporary one, because it seems as if I can rely on rendering using my iMac and not having to change computers every time I need to render a project. This solution is half satisfactory though as it takes more than 1:30hrs to render a project that using CUDA would take less than 20 minutes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've read almost every post in this thread and the answer seems pretty obvious to me. You are all pushing your systems beyond what they are capable of.

With the evolutionary explosion in the digital video industry over the last 10, even 20, years we feel that bigger and higher resolution is always better. And we feel entitled to have/use/produce bigger and higher resolution media. This is a bad perspective. Unfortunately, the means to capture higher resolution media has become more readily available and cheaper more quickly than the means to edit this high resolution material.

Even a top of the line Mac Pro straight from Apple is not the ideal system for editing 4K or 6K files on. Let alone high resolution files pushed through USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt. Yes, they are the fastest peripherals on the market but the more you add and chain them together, the more problems you are going to have. All of that data must be processed by your logic/mother board and your GPU. One big issue that I see is the lack of workstation graphics cards. The GTX series of graphics cards is designed for gaming, not video editing. You can see that right on NVidia's site. And yes, they will edit 1080p video exceptionally well, but when you start pushing 4k+ through them, one begins to understand why there are workstation cards like the Quadro series. For those with the AMD Fire Pro's, while it technically is a workstation card it was unfortunate, in my opinion, that Apple went with this line up instead of the Quadros.

For those of you trying to edit on MacBook Pro's, you need to understand the limits of a laptop. Especially when you run multiple displays and then put high resolution video and effects, etc on a system using a mobile graphics card. I love my MBP. I take it with me on the road and DAT/DIT with it. I may even import all my media and synch audio on it and start an edit, but not with 4K files. I will always transcode to a proxy because I don't expect a coupe to pull a camper. Thats why you have a truck.

If you take anything away from this post, take away these two things:

1. Expect less and be surprised with more.

2. Always make proxies of 4K or higher footage to edit with. It will save you time in the long run. Then you can relink and render in the glory that is UHD (so that people can watch it on their HD devices).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm actually only using 1080p footage and doing things that FCP7 would have a handled effortlessly so I think the problem is software or driver related.

Even if a computer were being pushed exceptionally hard, it shouldn't cause a Kernel Panic. These are indicative or an actual problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not necessarily, there are people that have posted throughout this forum only using 1080p w/ CUDA and running into the artifacts. If we are pushing are systems beyond what there capable of why is it that we can use it without the CUDA enabled? Yes its slower to render out projects but it still works fine. If we where pushing our systems to the point it can't handle it wouldn't artifact like this.      

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you use it without CUDA enabled, you are not using your GPU at all. Just your CPU to render. So if you are able to render CPU only, then you are pushing your GPU so much, that an error/panic is happening.sladerade

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed and I understand what you are saying but why would we not be able to do it using the GPU is beyond me. It was designed to perform better and faster than CPU or at the very minimum assist the CPU and high processing process...isn't that right? That's how they advertise the darn thing so!!!!!?????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is precisely my point. There is an issue using the CUDA driver in conjunction with Premiere Pro under Yosemite 10.10.1. I called AppleCare this morning to give them a heads up that if they get any issues about screen artifacts using Premiere Pro that is not the hardwares fault its more or less driver issues and or software issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry dalesandberg, although your reasoning makes lot's of sense and I FULLY understand and agree with it, I do not agree that submission is the route we need to take. There is NO counter indication anywhere when you buy an Apple Computer or a PC equipped with these CUDA cards that says THOU SHALL NOT EDIT in 4K. Just as when you buy a TRUCK or a CAR, they tell you what type of gasoline you should feed it, here there is no indication of what our machines are capable of doing or NOT, even worse we are told in their advertisements and selling points and features that finally we can work on 4K and do the marvelous things we editors and filmmakers love to do. So in the end if what you are saying is correct than we have all the elements at hand for a substantial lawsuit. And something tells me someone is going to fix this before that happens...;-) Well at least I hope so!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2015 Jul 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been dealing with this issue with apple now since early 2014. I agree that a class action lawsuit might be the way to go because it is clear in advertisements and tech specs that these machines are capable of 4K. Sadly, well all have probably tested 1080p, 2.7K as well as 4K and even 4000x3000 stills for time lapse videos. I know I have. Sad to see these struggles resulting from my use of Hero 4 Black cameras when theres people in this thread trying to work with RED footage. I see common issues, and mainly the Nvidia graphics cared seems to be an issue in many cases, as well as CUDA. Im curious about the issues with Davinci, because I haven't tested that, but if people are still having the same issues and its not something apple can blame on Adobe, maybe this is starting to become a little clearer. I'm new to this thread, but its a relief to see I'm not alone. At the same time, its very sad to see i'm not alone. Apple clearly had serious issue in the past with Nvidia graphics cards and faced a class action lawsuit in 2010 because of similar issues, which clearly falls outside of the "4K revolution." I am currently negotiating with Apple, but they aren't really being forthcoming about how many people have been going through this. They just replaced the logic board in my Mid 2014 rMBP, and within 20 minutes of getting it back I had the same issues again. I'm also on my second machine. These issues even happen for me when i'm not using adobe at all. When i'm not even editing anything. It's crazy! Someone needs to take responsibility for this because its pretty clear all of the people on this thread have probably tested most software theories more than once too.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2015 Jul 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Though I am using mainly OpenGL hardware assisted these days for rendering, I am still tempted to switch to CUDA for jobs that I know will be slow and demanding. What I have observed is the moment I start using Adobe Media Encoder things start to become unstable and that contagion seems to spread to nearly everything I am doing on the Mac (screen glitches etc.)...it is compounded if I open Photoshop or have Premiere still running. I am wondering whether Adobe and Nvidia have looked into the architecture of the Media Encoder software? 2015 CC seems little changed from 2014 CC in this app. Of course I am speculating but there doesn't seem to be much left to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this issue for about a year now, and have just solved it (sort of). After wiping the drive of my late 2012 iMac with nvidia 680mx, my fresh install of yosemite did not install cuda. I'm now using cc2014 and 2015 with openCL and the old distortion and instability is gone. Whether OpenCL is slower than Cuda, I can't really say.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tough to say which one is faster as I we can't use CUDA anymore to compare...;-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so glad this isn't just me suffering from this!

Although this isn't something to be glad about...

My solution has been to roll back to 10.9.5, and the 6.5.. latest driver of CUDA, and it remains relatively stable although still not perfect. But I'm hoping that this issue will be solved properly soon. I have another partition running 10.10.3 and latest 7... CUDA driver and the problem is very definitely still there and nowhere near solved.

Thank you Kevin for your updates on this, and it seems that while you are pressing, it seems less like Apple / Nvidia are playing along. At the very least if you can please keep us - who are having to finish work to deadlines, and not having the time to experiment with solutions! - updated on this as often as possible , and as the sentiment seems to be from above I have to agree, although less aggressively than some.. - we've paid for this, as it was marketed and advertised. We expected more by now, and not to still be having to hang on for solutions...

Thank you for your efforts so far, but please keep pushing for a solution as soon as possible.

Thanks

Ed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dale,

Thanks for your thoughtful post. I do appreciate it and agree with it in principle. I do think that something else here is amiss, however. I noticed a few commonalities with the latest GPU issues people are having.

• All are using NVIDIA GPUs
  • All are on OS X 10.10
  • Other non-Adobe applications are also affected (for example, DaVinci Resolve)

Here are some things I would suggest in troubleshooting this issue:

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines