• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Any indication that a clip has been used in a sequence?

Participant ,
Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Premier Elements, a small green dot is shown on a clip icon in the project area to show that the clip has been used on the timeline. Remove the clip from the timeline and the dot changes back to to gray.

I found this very useful, but I'm not seeing anything equivalent in Premier Pro, have I missed it ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

You can add a Media Usage column to the Metadata display in the project panel:

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 7.04.20 AM (2).png

Which will show you if the clip is used, and where in it was used.

Right click on the Metadata display to add the column.

If you are using icon view, the little box in the lower right corner of the icon will turn blue, once it is in the timeline-

Before:

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 7.10.23 AM.png

After use:

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 7.10.34 AM.png

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can add a Media Usage column to the Metadata display in the project panel:

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 7.04.20 AM (2).png

Which will show you if the clip is used, and where in it was used.

Right click on the Metadata display to add the column.

If you are using icon view, the little box in the lower right corner of the icon will turn blue, once it is in the timeline-

Before:

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 7.10.23 AM.png

After use:

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 7.10.34 AM.png

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for the detailed reply, much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will also see in the Screen Grabs the guys have posted in their posts above;

Top of Browser next to the little Preview Screen...a twirl down.

This reveals the instances of usage and clicking on any of them ..takes you to that instance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Browser? Twirl. Sorry, you lost me!

I'm looking at 'DigitalSpatulas' screenshot, and can't see any arrows, browser or twirls.

Not to worry though, I can see the 'Video Usage' on my timeline, which answers my original question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here ya go. Particularly useful for going directly to any use of a multiple instance.

twirl down.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preview area.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone for your help, it's really appreciated and sorry for being a bit thick! Havn't quite got my head around the vast user interface yet.

Late now here in UK, and off to bed, but will try your suggestions tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The earlier replies assumed I had the Preview window open and that I knew of its existence (I didn't). That's where the confusion lay.

So thanks Anne for picking up on that, I now understand the previous replies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought so as a lot of things are default off when using Premiere for the first time.

Might want to open all the hamburger menu's and wrenches in several windows as for rightclicking in a panel or clip and see what pops up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 06, 2024 Mar 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Six years on, I've just found this info super useful. I've never in all my years editing with Premiere seen the Preview Area panel - and the little twirl-down is a lifesaver! Thanks Ann & Shooternz.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 08, 2024 Aug 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unfortunately, this will not function if you're working with proxies. I added the "video usage" column to the metadata, then tested it with a clip that was used in my timeline. Nothing appeared in the metadata columnto indicate it was in use. This should be corrected

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also see very easily in the info next to the preview image. In my attached example the clip has been used 1 time. If you click on the arrow, it tells you what sequence it's in and where. You can select that usage and it will take you right to that clip on that timeilne.

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 10.24.39 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-02-06 at 10.25.30 AM.png

Thx,

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve, I can't match up the panels in your photo with the 'Editing' workspace I'm using. When you say 'Preview Image', do you mean the image in the 'Preview Panel'?

In my workspace,I  don't see a preview image or arrow?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 10.24.39 AM.png

Here's a highlight of the small arrow and the text indicating number of usages. You might have to turn on preview area in the panel preferences (the little three lined icon on the tab)

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2024 May 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is there a way to have video usage only show usage on active sequence, i dont need to know if it was used in previeous sequences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2024 May 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines