• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Canon Cinema RAW Light / .CRM support in PP?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2017 Sep 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe team!

I'm just wondering if there's an update on when you will be supporting Canon's .CRM Raw light codec in Premiere for the Canon c200?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Michael Hardinge

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Hi all,

Premiere Pro CC (12.1) brings support for the Canon C200 camera. As mentioned by Manish above, you also have access to the Canon Cinema RAW Light Source Settings in the Effect Controls panel.

Thanks for your patience!
Happy editing

Best,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 160 Replies 160
LEGEND ,
Oct 06, 2017 Oct 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ProRes on PC is not an Adobe issue. Apple is a bunch of kindergartners ... jealous of their toys. Incredibly jealous. They don't let anybody not in their sandbox play with ProRes.

Besides, with the testing that several labs have done, they consider DNxHD/R to be slightly superior to ProRes for quality of copies anyway. Plus, Cineform, really the best of the three.

The camera companies are throwing new codec and even format things out left & right ... I do hope Adobe can get more folks on sorting those out quicker. There's a number of new ones out now that push the codecs into the weeds (though still technically within standards).

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed.  Just got the C200 yesterday and tested a 90 second clip which took about 15 minutes to encode to .dpx and was 72GB, which I then had to re-encode to prores to get something manageable on windows.  The original .CRM file was 11+GB.  I expected these files to be large, which is fine, but am wondering if I made the right choice for a new camera...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. I shot about 712GB of RAWLite for a project recently and encoding all of that would be Terabytes of data. Fortunately I recorded proxies to the SD cards and edit with those. I'll only render the clips that I need for the final edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow ... those are rather large files .... jeepers.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the October release of Premiere Pro CC that came out today add support for Canon Raw Light?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked around some and from what I can tell, no. I hope I'm wrong and they just forgot to mention it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

#alexpressplay

Just updated PPro CC 2018 this morning.  Unfortunately it does not support Canon .crm yet.  Hopefully next release...  I've been using Davinci Resolve instead of PPro after receiving the new Canon C200 recently.  It's too time-consuming for me to transcode in the Canon Cinema Raw Development software so I just switched to Davinci Resolve.

I looked at the release notes and under new file support this is what Adobe listed.

New format support

Including Sony X-OCN (RAW for Sony F55) and WAV files >4GB. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm it is not supported in the most recent update. Hugely disappointing. CRM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a joke!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still nothing. Tried the most recent update (knowing full well it wasn't supported).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is something that needs to be adressed and soon! I understand c200 users are not a majority but still, not being able to use .CRM files in Premiere Pro is to me like Lightroom not supporting .CR2. I know it takes time for them to make the changes, but I don't want to wait over a year for the feature to be added. I hoped it would be in CC2018 but I will wait.

I would love for the devs to keep us up to date so we could have an idea of when we could be expecting the feature.

RameezKhan or someone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree with all the other comments, the workflow is pretty pants at the moment for Windows users.

Hopefully Adobe add some support for CRM files soon, that would be lovely! Otherwise I may end up switching to Resolve full time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plus one for Cinema Raw Lite support. Workflow really is a joke. Been using a external recorder to get more manageable prores files sizes. But I still have pleanty of footage still sitting there unedited because I don't want to transcode to 300% file sizes or try to learn Resolve, that might be an even bigger joke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree that we need CRM support in Premiere, ASAP...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RameezKhan​ Do you have an update on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Sorry for responding late!

Canon Cinema RAW Light didn't make it to this release, sadly enough!

However, it's on the team's radar. Hopefully, it will be added in a future release.

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly, I do not find this helpful. Considering our line of work It’s really frustrating not being able to have a date or at least a estimate on when we will be able to use these files. I believe Premiere Pro is the best editor out there but I’m fining it very hard not to switch to Resolve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We should all be hitting up Canon for a fix too. PC users really got screwed with the C200/RAW Conversion tool. For Mac users the RAW Conversion tool can spit out Prores 4444 which is infinitely more usable than DPX files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea ... I don't understand why if they give a ProRes option they don't give the DNxHD/R option, which is cross-platform and at least as good. Or Cineform, for that matter. Ah well.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's funny you brought this up. I was looking for a c200 users group of sorts. I spoke with Loren Simons (Sr. Engineer at Canon), Brent Ramsey (Technical Advisor at Canon), Mohar Chakrabarty (Consultant at Canon USA) and even a Cinema EOS customer service rep. Cinema Raw Development has flaws and doesn't even deliver on what it's supposed to do. For instance, in the 'full quality' output tab, if you select the 2K resolution, it still comes out 4,096 x2160, and some proxy outputs don't work either. Also, we should have an option where EVERY freakin clip doesn't have its own folder, super annoying. For Windows guys, I'm sure they are things missing as well. All the Canon guys I spoke with actually acknowledged that I was correct and these things didn't work and said 'They sent it up the chain' - I really think we need dozens of people (or more) who own a c200 to reach out and report these issues. As all us Canon users know we have enough problems with Canon limiting our camera capabilities, the LEAST they can do is have their software do what they designed it to do. Don't think thats too much to ask.

As far as Rameez saying CRM will 'hopefully' be added - that's obnoxious, a more appropriate response would be 'hopefully in the next update' - but if Canon can perfect Raw Development, it could really be a great malleable encoding system and if it was awesome, current owners and future owners could really get behind it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great to get that much info out of Canon ... and well, if they've got such a low internal ability with the format, I suppose Adobe can't be shamed too much for not having perfect implementation. And yea, it would be rather ... nice ... if Canon actually got that format working and supported properly. Heck of a camera for professional use, but ... rather a nasty bite to using it as-is.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, it's absolutely absurd workflow. I've had to do it twice now and I hate it. No one in their right mind wants to work that way.

Just download the free version of Davinci 14 and do what you need from there. It sucks but it's what I had to do to complete the project.

Thinking more and more about my Adobe CC subscription. Their complete failure to add C200 support shows where their priorities are. I might have to switch to Resolve soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if FCPX 10.4 will support CRM???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Batch syncing audio and video using timecode

They said in this Thread they'll implement it in a future firmware---5 years ago---still waiting. I guess they'll not implement it and wait for the c200 MK2 until they support it XD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RameezKhan Any updates yet? Any slight estimate at all? It's very frustrating, I'd love to at least know what Adobe means by "Soon" and "Future". Is this something we can expect this year? It's kind of necessary for our jobs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines