• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CC loses links to render files?

Contributor ,
Jun 28, 2013 Jun 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Render an area, save the project, close the program and load the project, and the previously rendered area comes up red again.  Alternately, close the project and reload it, and you may or may not be asked to relink.

Anyone else seeing this?  The render files are still there; but the links are apparently lost -- and irrevocably, once you close program.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 167 Replies 167
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2015 Dec 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this been fixed?

Its being doing my head in for 3 weeks now.

I formatted my computer hoping that would help but it didn't.

Just upgraded to a i7 - 5820k and that didn't make any difference (I didn't think it would)

I've put a bug report in but this is driving me crazy.

Today, it remembered some of my renders, but then an hour later it had forgot them all.

There must be some reason this is happening, Why are we paying for CC if they can't get a frigging update to us to sort it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2015 Dec 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I contacted adobe and spoke to someone who said the following.

This is by design, the reason it works this way is

the media cache (reference file ) generated is for the original clip

once we apply warp stabilizer

it crops the footage

so it tries to relink with it

hence there is a loss of rendered files

Seems a little inconsistent with what happens to me and from what other people have said with works around etc. The other day Premier decided to remember half my rendered clip and then forget it later on.

Meh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

richards98156371 wrote:

Ok, I contacted adobe and spoke to someone who said the following.

This is by design, the reason it works this way is

the media cache (reference file ) generated is for the original clip

once we apply warp stabilizer

it crops the footage

so it tries to relink with it

hence there is a loss of rendered files

Seems a little inconsistent with what happens to me and from what other people have said with works around etc. The other day Premier decided to remember half my rendered clip and then forget it later on.

Meh

That does not explain the loss of rendered files when the warp stabilizer effect is NOT being used at all throughout a project... I'll stick by my workaround suggestion posted earlier: export full resolution matching sequence settings and drop that on a top layer.  It's the most reliable method when you "need" to have render files available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't mind if premier pro didn't crash so much, but it does, hence I have to re-render all the time.

I'm not sure your method would solve my problem with warps stabilizer but I'll find your post and give it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2016 Jan 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So as of December 15th, is everyone still suffering from this?  This exact thing is happening to me.  It happened after I updated to 2015.  I just reinstalled premiere pro, and I'm still losing my renders after closing out.

The render issue is also accompanied by weird export problems that I saw someone mentioned in this thread from 2013.  I'm getting export files that are 0kb.  One time I exported as mp4 and it gave me separate files for audio, video and an xmp, but no mp4.

No updates from anyone on this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is still happening to me. For the most part anything with a warp stabilizer, I need to render the clip as a lossless compressed AVI and then use the new file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I mentioned above (not sure if you saw) apparently losing renders for warp stablizer isn't a bug and they know about it. It's just the way the software is.

Pathetic if you ask me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agreed. Just because they choose to not call it a bug doesn't make it an acceptable "feature"!

I think they are finding the limitations of a code base that is now very very old, so things like warp stabilizer and the way effects in general interact with clips is just so inflexible there is little they can do it fix it - otherwise why after 4 years of people complaining about this would they not do something about it.

Doesn't bode well for the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to me, and I'm not even using warp stabilizer on anything in my current project.  Anything and everything in all of my projects lose their render when I quit premiere pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If "everybody" was having this issue, you wouldn't need an old thread to discuss it. There are a few, and that's a bit of trash if you're one of them (and I've been one of the lucky few to get a bad but "unusual" problem myself) but it's not one the 'everybody' is having.

So figuring out why your system is losing all renders would be useful for you, and ... it should work.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The stabilizer didn't use to cause such problems with the last version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 05, 2016 Jan 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cthulhu8 wrote:

So as of December 15th, is everyone still suffering from this?  This exact thing is happening to me.  It happened after I updated to 2015.  I just reinstalled premiere pro, and I'm still losing my renders after closing out.

The render issue is also accompanied by weird export problems that I saw someone mentioned in this thread from 2013.  I'm getting export files that are 0kb.  One time I exported as mp4 and it gave me separate files for audio, video and an xmp, but no mp4.

No updates from anyone on this issue?

As I stated previously, this is a problem that has been going on for a very long time.  It seems exacerbated with some effects (morph cut and warp stabilizer).  The ONLY fool-proof 100% method that works is to export sections of your timeline (match sequence settings), then re-import those exports and place them on a top layer (V2 or higher depending on layers).

For the export problem, the best workaround I would suggest is to export a full resolution file that matches your sequence settings.  Then bring that export into AME and make your compression(s) there.  It's a workaround I've been using since CC or CC 2014.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2016 Feb 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also getting this problem. Premiere Pro CC 2015 on Windows 10. HP Z800 machine. Footage is stored on a NAS, render files are locally on an internal hard drive. Single track of video with Single lumetri colour effect. It appears random how much is lost when I open the project again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps some more tech-proficient assistance might be available ... Kevin-Monahan‌ or RameezKhan‌ or someone ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar issue on Mac, but this has been happening for what seems like forever... I force render timelines so they are "green" and often when re-opening projects there will be sections of yellow or bits of red that will need to be re-rendered.

Again, exporting with "Match Sequence Settings" and then dropping that export on an upper layer is the ONLY proven workaround that works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot confirm this as a fix... ...but... ...I've thrown some warp and color effects onto a clip, rendered the previews, and saved on a NAS with 8 drives (3 drives mirror, with two for parity bits).  I built the NAS and used FreeNas for the os.  It works fine.  I had a Linux geek put in all the software and some special hardware.  I use fiber connections for datanetwork.   It's awesome for speed.  I can get close to native sata speeds over networking.  With the added speed of a NAS using SSD's for the primary, and a copy of it built with magnetics (slower but better recovery potential), I never worry about working data.  Using this, I was able to get renders to work.  Also... ...I've reproduced it working with a broken CUDA install.  It worked for a short time, then, even after I turn it off, I have to re-render every time.  So... ...With macs, Speed is key.  Also, I've had some better results keeping the data together (as in, keeping everything on the same drive, in the same location).  It's harder to sort through on your own in the filesystem, but it works from the open menu.  This is also akin to opening the project from an empty one.  It seems to work every time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2016 Feb 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HarleyTDavisbsbeamercthulhu8‌ ...

"FIX / Workaround" that works for me: So, I ran into the same problem and read this thread a while ago but nothing worked. I figured out that it was the Warp stabilizer causing the problem (for me). NOW i just happened to randomly find a workaround that works for me:

When I click on a clip, that once was rendered but now is turned red, and "deactivate" an effect, the Warp or Lumetri eg, and then activate it again, poff - the bar turned green. I will have to do this procedure for all the clips but works for me.. Don't know how this fixes it but hey.. saves time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 15, 2016 Feb 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like the xml metatags for the warp functions aren't being read at loadup.  It's gotta be something like that.  Just went back to the shop I helped set up, described above.  Reproduced the problem.  It was fine until they updated.  The bug is still present.  Speed isn't the issue.  Perhaps its the open function not pulling in the meta tags that actually load the headers for rendered content.  If they open the app to a blank project then open the old project, sometimes it works.  However, opening a project by double click does not.  Danneoa, thx for the info.  I passed it along.  It worked for a few effects.  Also... ...One more tip for mac users:  CUDA architecture has many flavors.  You need a card that supports the version of CUDA that your plugs and computer work with.  It looks like 3.0 is the latest that adobe is fully supported on with macs.   Check some other CUDA threads here for more info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 16, 2016 Feb 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HarleyTDavis wrote:

One more tip for mac users:  CUDA architecture has many flavors.  You need a card that supports the version of CUDA that your plugs and computer work with.  It looks like 3.0 is the latest that adobe is fully supported on with macs.   Check some other CUDA threads here for more info.

The current CUDA driver for Mac is 7.5.25:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/mac-driver-archive.html

The current NVIDIA web driver for Mac is 346.03.05f01:

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/97587/en-us

Not sure what you're referencing with CUDA 3.0... is that the 6+ year old driver?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, he's talking about the "architecture" ... that's the underlying code generation for the internal operation of the card. Which is very separate from the driver used to relate to the rest of the computer.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  And Exactly.  The driver is what your computer will use to "Talk" to the card, but if the language is newer than your card, what to do?  Oh wait... ...It's newer, so the two are usually compatible, since new implementations simply carry compressed or included backward compatibility for the cards each driver is built for..  However, if you use something in a program that is not included in the card's chips, you are SOL.  Many mac cards are missing several key functions that CC uses, like the dynamics architectures that allow random and dynamic memory access both ways across the system (from gpu to system RAM, from System to GPU RAM, and many mixes thereof).  However, a few actually do meet the criteria (and if you install your own, you should check the wiki page to make sure).  The problem with these cards?  The apple supplied driver does not include any additional stubs or connection points for advanced driver controls, nor does it include CUDA implementations, as CUDA libraries actually do allow what would normally be considered "Illegal" or unstable code to run.  They are simply covering their butt-crack with superglue and concrete.  I've heard that removing the apple supplied driver from the system and replacing it with a linux driver can enable CUDA.  I've seen CS6 work great on pc and on mac with a card that supports 3.0 or higher, but warps are actually done really slow, even on PC with some older cards that only support version 2.x of the architecture.  I personally tested PC and built some junk-heap graphics machines for my probono work from that.  Amazing machines really, for anything up to 1080 input.  I also tested a mac or two on yosemite running (admitedly modified) a compiled linux driver package with cuda, on two cards.  The 3.0 card fails with CC, but runs CS6 okay (other than the expected CS6 hicups from the 32bit calls through the kernel).  A 5.x card with the latest linux driver ran it just fine for a 7 minute clip with a few warps and time adjusts, etc.  The render-file bug is still evident, but you can turn warps off then on to get them back.

Is CUDA for MAC DEAD?  Only if you get your drivers where you get your computer.  Mac got out of the NVIDIA chip sales biz because the code was particularly unstable in certain instances, and because the older cards were no longer compatible with newer CC and other apps that required certain additions to the library.  However, Macs do use IRIS.  It's a similar logic, even if it does lack a few bells and whistles.  The system can access the gpu and act in a CUDA-like fashion to augment processing, and the GPU has strictly controlled access to system memory after calling the CPU for it's current state (Got that from a geek online by the way).  Faster than before?  Yes.  By leaps and bounds?  No.  A leap or two maybe, depending on how much ram you install, your CPU cores\threads, your GPU thread count.  CUDA cores simply allow an abstraction of the GPU so your system ram can be used in a threaded fashion, acting like multiple synchronus processors performing the same task on several different memory objects.  These "Cores" can be threaded to do several ops in a row, across several objects (repeating the instruction but with different values for the adjustment) and quickly dumping out changes to active memory.  The mac driver takes a similar approach, but doesn't abstract the processors, and it takes it from the CPU side, having the GPU handle one set of instructions on a particular set of objects, and then performing the next set in a CPU core, and the next set in a CPU core (if more are available, and so on, all while using the programming architecture of open CL that actually gets passed through your GPU for validation anyway.  A few more steps with fewer objects, unrandom, but still dynamic, and strictly controlled.  That's the APPLE way... ...("we know better than you what's best for you").  But to be fair, they are also preventing the kind of abuse that can really wear on a system, and would be a service nightmare if even a slight defect should show up.

Check which version of CUDA your card Supports.  If its 3ish, you're stuck with cs6.  If it's 5ish, you might be able to remove the APPLE driver (by starting up from a recovery mode or drive).  Do this AFTER installing a replacement.  Linux drivers have worked on one or two machines, doesn't mean everybody should jump in.  Try the Mac version of the Web Driver, just remove the apple supplied driver.  It interferes with anything that calls your card, as it's the signed driver from apple and takes priority at bootup.  Remove this driver, and you will get the only one left.  I advise you to use a time machine backup before doing this also.  This will protect you in case this fails.  Do a backup before any apple updates as well.  And then run time machine to return the folders with your graphics drivers to the state needed.  For professionals, they expect you to do a little dirty work.  Yes their stuff is pretty, functional and often runs faster due to simplistic gfx calls, and they have a lot of pretty bells and whistles for media\device integration for the AVERAGE user (Home or basic office paper pusher).  If you want more, you're gonna have to fiddle with it a little.

Edit: Please do not use profanity. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2016 May 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

danneoa wrote:

HarleyTDavis bsbeamer cthulhu8 ...

"FIX / Workaround" that works for me: So, I ran into the same problem and read this thread a while ago but nothing worked. I figured out that it was the Warp stabilizer causing the problem (for me). NOW i just happened to randomly find a workaround that works for me:

When I click on a clip, that once was rendered but now is turned red, and "deactivate" an effect, the Warp or Lumetri eg, and then activate it again, poff - the bar turned green. I will have to do this procedure for all the clips but works for me.. Don't know how this fixes it but hey.. saves time

Thanks.

Definitely annoying to even have to do this fix but it seems to be working for me so far.

I also seem to be having some luck with more of the files staying connected when I open using this process:

-Open PPro

-File>New Project>Ok (It'll automatically create an 'Untiled Project")

-File>Open Project>select the project that you would like to continue editing without linking issues

The next time I start PPro, I start the app...choose the above 'Untitled Project' from the recent projects pop-up screen...then do File>Open Recent>select my project that I'd like to edit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 05, 2016 Jul 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keeping this thread alive... same issue here with warp stabilized footage on an AE link (the effect is applied in AE). A work around is to render and replace.

Thunderbolt external SSD, 32 GB ram Mac system on Adobe CC suite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 06, 2016 Jul 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The folks on the Ae forum also deal with Dynamic Link issues to PrPro a LOT ... so ... I do hope you peek over there for ideas also.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2016 Aug 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar serious problem.

Having completed a render preview on my 3 minute video clip, I was able to view it last night, but this morning only the first minute of the video is showing on my timeline.

More than 50% of my work has DISAPPEARED.

Thata equivalent to over 16 hours editing time lost!!!

Any help would be appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines