• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CPU running at 100% capacity immediately since 2022 update

New Here ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using 10th gen Intel i9 CPU, 8gb graphics with 16gb of ram and I have a 1TB SSD dedicated to premiere pro.

Before the 2022 update I could run my 4k Vlog footage at 1/2 no problem. Since the update I can't even run it at 1/8 for even a second and the CPU caps out immediately. Anyone having this issue or have any fixes? This has caused my business to be a day behind schedule which is a massive problem and now client's are waiting much longer for the there content which has never happened before. This problem is effecting my business's reputation. I've proxied the files for now (proxied to 720p and still not running great even at 1/4) 

I hate using proxies because I have to wait for them to render and you have to be very careful to get all the frame rates right otherwise it ends up being much more work. 

TOPICS
Editing , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2021 Nov 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

got exactly the same problem - adobe need to sort this issue out, Ive spent hours on chat and email with them!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2021 Nov 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

💢FIX💢

Hey there Timn. I did some searching around in the forums and found a fix.

If you run the play back at "full" instead of 1/2 or below it works perfectly fine. The processing code for 1/2 and below must be filling the CPU with to much code or some nonsense like that.

Really frustrating and annoying.

I'm really hoping that Adobe atleast releases an official statement about this. Its been nearly a week and the issue is still unresolved or spoken about it properly. Always rather disappointed by adobes efforts to admit mistakes. I don't expect them to be perfect but i do expect them to be  honest about there product and maybe offer somthing for our lost money and time since we will be payong for this nonsense for the rest our lives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 19, 2023 Jun 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to have the same issue. In my case, it was related to the playback that was not at "full" like you, but then it happened again. This time it was caused by an adjustment layer I used with an SLOG convertion lut. Even if it was off, it was lagging a lot, like a lot lot lot. Only fix was to completly delete it.

G.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2022 Feb 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have the same problem since the last updates. Now if I play at full resolution the CPU reaches 100% of usage and the system crashes.

If I set the playback at 1/2 the CPU reaches 50%.

Before the updates I never hadn't this kind of problem, playback at full resolution.

Windows 10

Intel 9th

64GB ddr4 RAM

Gforce RTX 2700 super

3 ssd (system, media, cache)

Ciao! Pura vida!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you edit H.264? Is it possible Nvenc was enabled and now it is not? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I do. I am editing h.264, but the problem is during the playback in the Timeline not during exporting in AME.

It is a FHD Timeline with few tracks (1 Video HD with 2 Lumetri effects, 1 Adjustments layer with Lumetri effect, 1 png logo with Position, Scale and 3D effect, 1 adjustment layer with Transform effect - Scale+Position, a 4K video of flare with Opacity/Blend effect, 1 nest sequence of a simple animated logo with Photoshop layers) .

In the Timeline there is a 4K clip that I scaled to timeline dimension and I applied a Merge Opacity Option (it is a light flare on black background).

I'm verifying just now that when this track is able the CPU goes to 100% when I playback at full res (for this reason the computer shutdowns).

Then I played back at full res only a title track, the CPU went to 30% at that is a lot for only one simple track. 

It never happened before, everything started yesterday.

Some days ago there was an update, I don't know if something changed. 

Ciao! Pura vida!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you are confused. Nvenc is used to encode and decode H.264/265 when using Premiere Pro as seen in the video below. I have stated several times in these forums my Nvenc and Quick Sync have cut out on me before and I have to re-enable it. I know when it cuts out because my CPU get pegged and my fans wind out as seen in the video below. You must check your system stats like in the video below and see if your GPU is decoding. If not there is a problem. Notice in the video below the CPU is being used more when Nvenc is disabled. I will ask once again was Nvenc enabled and now it is disabled? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are referring to Cuda acceleration, yes it does, it is the first thing. I have a GeForce RTX 2070 super. So the GPU Cuda acceleration is always active and the GPU is working fine.

The problem is that the CPU is working to much and this is unusual. 

Ciao! Pura vida!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are obviously very confused and you need to watch the video below. The video below will make you very hip to Nvenc and Quick Sync encoding and decoding of H.264 as well as CUDA acceleration. I am not sure if the lack of Nvenc or Quick Sync is causing your problems but the lack of Nvenc, Quick Sync or GPU acceleration can cause your CPU to get pegged at 100%. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kind Andy,

Thank you very much. The CUDA was active but the H.263 hardware acceleration in Media Preference wasn't.

Now the CPU works 30% less and the GPU 30% more. So now they stay at about 50/60% each.

Thank you for your video.

Kind regards

Max

Ciao! Pura vida!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Feb 19, 2022 Feb 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome. I have had Quick Sync and Nvenc cut out on my system in the past. Adobe needs to find ot why it cuts out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Andy,

But in many years I never had this problem. Today, again. While I was exporting a FHD video of 1'30'' the CPU reached 100%.

Untill few days ago everything was fine. Everything is checked about CUDA and Nvenc. But this is not the problem because before yestarday everything was fine.

What is happening to PP?

Ciao! Pura vida!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you are still confused. Do you understand what hardware encoding and decoding is?  I can make my CPU spike up to 100% as well. Showing the CPU at 100% is irrelevant. You need to check your stats to see if the GPU is decoding. If it is not then the Nvenc has cut out on you. I stated Nvenc and Quick Sync used to cut out on me even though they were enabled. I don't have that problem now but I did about a year ago. I am not saying that is causing your problems for sure but we need to troubleshoot your computer stats. If you are edting H.264 Nvenc or Quick Sync should be decoding the video unless it is some odd variation of H.264/265. If no H.264 decoding is happening then your systems is not tweaked 100%. For your system Quick Sync might prove to be a better option than Nvenc. Try them both and see what works best for you. I use Quick Sync as seen in the one image below. 

Stop posting this.

Nvenc 00.jpg

Nvenc 01.jpg

Start posting this so we can see if Quick Sync or Nvenc are decoding the H.264. Can you see by the image that the iGPU (Quick Sync) is decoding?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kind Andy, thanks for your time.

Perhaps, as you say, it depends on a particular clip because it never happened other times.

Anyway here are 3 screshoots.

The first with Nvenc enable and the second disable.

In the last test I disabled the track with the clip that I think could be generate the problem.

I hope that I did well.

Thank you

Ciao! Pura vida!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those are the stats we needed in order to help troubleshoot your system. The CPU is not pegged at 100% when the Nvenc is enabled. That being said you should also try enabling Quick Sync for a comparison. Sometimes Nvenc can cause problems.  If you still have problems it could be a pluggin or drivers. Worst case scenario would be wipe and reload Windows. Keep in mind the Nvenc and Quick Sync can cut out at anytime. I know it it has cut out when my CPU fan winds out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i'm curious. What format of footage do you want to edit?

-Office : Adobe || Home : Resolve-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I post all the specs of timeline in a previous reply.

Anyway, everything is FHD, there is only a 4K clip (a light flare video with black background, so I apply a blend/Opacity effects).

When this track is able and I playback at full res the CPU goes at 100% and the PC shuts down.

If I play at full res only a title track the CPU goes at 30% that is too much in any case.

It never happened before. Everything started yesterday. 

Ciao! Pura vida!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 15, 2022 Oct 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same problem, been out of work 5 months now trying to find a fix. CPU Running at 100%, GPU at 0% even with 64GB of ram, a new ROG STRIX Z690-E motherboard, RTX 3090 and a 12th Gen i9... I mean no matter what hardware/settings/version I use, I just simply can't get adobe to run stable. The program even causes BSOD sometimes at random.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It didn't solve the problem. My CPU still peaking to 100 only i press play on Adobe premier or run through the video I'm editing. can you help please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2023 Jun 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, and so far I can't find a solution...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2023 Jun 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the solution, its called davinci resolve, best choice I've ever made. Editing has never been easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2023 Jun 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ikr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2023 Jun 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did go in  and turned the Nvenc off (without restart as the newest version requires), and i got releife enough to finish working, hope this helps. To Adobe! You have all these free product testors and most the time you gasslight them. If we are all having the same issue can you really blame them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines