• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Discuss the Premiere Pro 22.3 UI changes: Import, Export, and Header Bar

Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm struggling too, this UI update seems a step backwards requiring more clicks etc to do the same tasks... I also can't find options to do layouts that worked very well for certain tasks. Whats happened to the caption layout for instance?

If I wanted a Premiere rush like inetrface i'd use rush... This is professional workstation software why are you dumbing it down... Shades of Final cut 10...

TOPICS
User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Hi Community,

Thank you for the comments, but the Premiere Pro team does not generally read feedback on these user-to-user forums (Discussions).

Regarding Export Mode: Please provide feedback to the Premiere Pro Team on this thread on the Ideas forum.

For the Header Bar: provide feedback here.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 518 Replies 518
Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin, Yes, I posted earlier on this thread:

Everyone UPVOTE this thread, already an engineer replied to it.

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/45053116-premiere-pro-22-3-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Kevin. i received an email that you had moved my comment about the new version crashing on me, reliably, seconds after opening it, despite my clearing the cached media files. Your reason for moving my comment was "let's talk UI in the UI post, OK? Thx, ^KM"

My reply didn't have anything to do with UI. It was about the new version's apparent lack of stability, and my having to roll back to continue working. i've searched all three (and counting) pages in this UI thread, and can't find my comment. i can't see it when i look at my profile page either. Did you delete it for some reason?

- Ryan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like I will be sticked with v22.2 until a real major new feature I would use will be out. And it's been a long time, most of new features added in the last months are useless in my workflow.

I have tried this new UI in the v22 Beta a few months ago and found absolutely painful and ugly to use. More scrolling, more clicks....just NO

When the first main V22.0 came out I was relieved and thought this new export menu had been abandonned and canceled after some Beta reviews but it was just a mirage this has now really happened.

Like some said before this looks like a cheap UI for newbies and amateurish software.

Is Premiere Pro still a Pro tool ? Has even someone ask for this ?

Why at least not keep a legacy layout UI for users who want to be like it has been for years now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure why we are imposed interface changes without any mean to go back to my saved workspaces after updating. I have a YouTube channel and spend hours editing and find myself being delayed trying to figuring out a new interface instead of being able to look at that later. Ridiculous upgrades as usual and updates are just causing me delays.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This new workflow is not more streamlined. In export, it takes more clicks to access the same settings as before. Fewer information is shown onscreen at once, despite the window now being enormous. It's full of empty & wasted space.

As for starting a project...I don't want to start visually. I want to start with settings and then just drop in the media I need.

After the wild Photoshop "Save As" debacle, why on Earth would you make such dramatic workflow changes without even including a Legacy option?

And why did you decide everyone would prefer it this way? Why not simply include both start/finish workflows, and let people choose?

These changes added a lot of clicks, friction, & frustration. I 've rolled back, and won't update again until the more efficient workflow is restored to the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed 100% and this done in te middle of editing a large project. No kidding not many in Hollywood use it, I can just imagine in the middle of editing a blockbuster some dev decides to change the interface and push an update without any way of going back or the editor deciding if he wants it right now. It even erased all my workspaces that I saved.

However, than you as I hadn't clicked on the fact that I can roll back. I will do that right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS I just rolled back however part of the damage is done as all my Workspaces are erased and I don't believe I backed those up. I don't see them anywhere. Tried to edit Workspaces don't see them listed there either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the old exportation menu I just had to make twice "CTRL+M" for a quick exportation, now I'm losing too much time to export several videos. Changing the name and choosing the destination file is not in the same place and I have to choose "to media encoder" every time. Too much time spent on exportation. Please change that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thought it was just me but I also find the new Export workflow a bit of a pain. I nearly missed the 'Use Previews' option which is under 'General' uh?

I also found a weird thing happening - its on a project I'm working on with loads of clips on a main timeline - its only about 19 mins, but is all scrappy bits I am experimenting with

Anyway I finished a piece only 19 seconds in length in that timeline as an intro sequence. I set the 'in' and 'out' markers to define the work area ready to export it to a H264 4KUHD clip

In going into the new Export Media workflow - I didn't notice at first, .... but it does not carry across the in/Out time positions you have marked, if you select workarea it selects the entire timeline?. No selection brings up the defined export area on the timeline

I have to recheck on another project file but if it does the same thing, then this is also another bug that needs sorting.

Question - did the Premiere team actually test this new Export Media workflow with end users before releasing it?.

I'm not a fan

Just spotted the 36 min timelimit bug as well on the forum - glad I was aware of that too !!

Come on Premiere Team - QA QA please !!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This new UI was out for several months in the public beta ... you can go to that forum and see the discussions there. That's where they roll out to test almost everything now, so it's worth checking out the pegged Discussions there every so often. And also, you can install the public beta alongside any other versions, and test a project in the beta, then open it in the regular verions without troubles.

The "work area" option is for if you have the actual option for Work Area Bar selected on your timeline. And it will do the whole timeline if you select that from the options at export without it being set.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the point of having a beta public forum when from the outset feedback was don't do it as more clicks are required to do the same work?  You are not listening to the feedback!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the point of having a beta public forum when from the outset feedback was not listened to. Now more clicks are required to do the same work?  You are not listening!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remember most of us here are like you, users. None of the ACPs are staffers, we're all volunteers.

And yes, they do monitor the public beta forum closely. As do I, and of course, most of the people who post on a forum are those with a complaint. The ones who like something don't post. So just because you see more complaints or suggestions, don't think that actually represents the total user base.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2022 Apr 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I personally do not like the new export mode. would be cool if there was an option to go back to the old one and not have to deal with the new one. I rolled back for now but probably will end update later 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you queue your exports to the media encoder, you can use the old-style export dialog there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It takes me a lot of extra time and messes up my workflow really bad.  Inwould really like to be able to just strat up premiere with a blak slate and import from there. This new update takes away a lot of freedom that i need to work fast

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you look around you'll see a lot of posts that say the same thing. it's to be expected when there's a UI change. I get it. And I'm sure it's not unexpected from Adobe that there's going to be some push-back.  

As far as starting a new project isn't it basically the same as before? You name the project and tell it where to save and then bam, you're in. You don't have to import or create a sequence on the import page. It's just giving you the option to do that rather than giving you the option to change Project Settings that rarely need to be adjusted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip's got the main point ... it doesn't take one second longer than before.

Give a new project a name, and a location. Make sure nothing else is selected (blue) on that page, and it's sticky. Deselect everything once, done for all time.

Hit Create. Your project opens. Use the Project panel or Media Browser to import just as before.

Again, shouldn't take one second longer. Same steps. Just looks different.

For those that want to take a few minutes to set that Import page up, de-favorite/star every place they don't store things, only star where they do ... it can be a very useful and quick way to get to your normal storage places.

But no one needs use the import/ingest options on that page if they'd rather not.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 23, 2022 Apr 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Couldn't agree more with the original poster, and a big thumbs down to Adobe for springing this Rush-type automation on us without warning, or the very least, a tutorial / walk-thru.

Absolutely not a fan.

As far as starting a new project isn't it basically the same as before? You name the project and tell it where to save and then bam, you're in.

By @Phillip Harvey

Nope, starting a new project is not the same as before. For a start, 95% of the screen content is irrelevant to my needs as an advanced user. The new screen is all about importing media before the project's even created. I had to search hard to find the options I needed, tucked in a thin ribbon at the top. VERY NOT OBVIOUS. I thought I'd opened Rush by accident.

But more fundamentally, Adobe has just taken away all the steps that go into creating a project with strong foundational framework. It's always the least exciting part, but it's the MOST NECESSRAY PART. Now where's my ability to specify scratch disks and auto save destinations? Where's my ability to choose the sequence settings? All gone. Now I have to REMEMBER to do that once the new project is made. So you're actually creating more steps for me. What happens if I forget to go into the Project Settings panel once the new project is created, and don't update all the directories for auto saves and video previews? They're all gunna get put in the folder for the previous project - and that's gunna make a big mess of my project directory.

The comments from the Adobe Community Professionals are welcomed, but with serious scepticism. Deselecting things I don't want imported and making sure things aren't sticky, ring serious alarm bells. Why would you design Premiere automatically chose what goes into projects? That's my job, not an AI's. Staring and un-staring locations also sounds like it's going to lead to automatically generated problems without me realising til too late. But how do I even do that? Because I don't see anything about storage places that can be starred or unstarred, on my new screen... (screenshot attached)

This is a pretty serious overhaul guys - I wish Adobe would at least take the time to warn us and teach us, because I see a lot of room for error here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

without warning, or the very least, a tutorial / walk-thru.

By @braydon

Not entirely true: been in the beta for quite some time

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-beta-discussions/discuss-new-import-workflow/td-p/121306...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are millions of Adobe users that do not download the beta version nor do they visit the user groups. They simply use the Adobe products and hope that they will get better not worse. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Braydon,

Hey, I understand your approach and why you are "greeting" the change as you are.

Ann's got one answer ... it has been in the public beta for months. As that is where the stuff that is coming is rolled out to test, it's worth a look now and then to the Premiere Public Beta Forum to see what's coming. They have a number of 'pinned' Discussions at the top on new-ish features for comments.

And engineers and supers up through Francis Crossman, head of PrPro, post and check things over there. So any comment you post there DOES get seen by the development team. So it's a good idea to get your comments in early. Follow the old dictum, vote early vote often.

I also get your point about wanting to see where the scratch/preview/cache files are set. And in the discussions over 'there', Francis Crossman noted that in their intense study of user habits, there were four groups:

• those who set that to go with the Project file location;
  • those who set that to a specific place on their computer every time;
  • those who do vary the location from somewhere 'local' to with project file depending, and
  • those who never ever pay attention to anything on that dialog.

I think the largest group is the last one. The smallest is the third group. I'm in the second group, which is also good-sized, and you're probably in either first or second.

Those settings are now in the File (maybe Premiere menu on a Mac?) and Project Settings. Those settings have always been "sticky" and so once you set them up one way, they'll be like that for the next project unless you change them. So if you select 'same as project' once, you'll get that the next time also.

So if you want your cache files with the project, use 'same as project' once, it will put them there next time.

If (like me) you want a specific location on local resources, set that, it will be the same next time.

If you need to set differently than last time, after creating the project (and probably before adding assets) go to that menu and set them. Yea, this reverses the order and there's another click or two.

The vast majority of users fall into one of two groups: they use the same settings all the time, or they never pay attention. The smallest group set differently every time. So ... they went with what 'fits' the behavior of the vast majority of users.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil and Ann for your replies. I conceed, yes, this had been discussed at length for some time in beta feedback forums. I'm simply not aware of those forums - let alone discussions. I guess by "no warning", I meant, no notifaction from Adobe that this new feature had been rolled out. With every other major update, I get notifications and update notes about what's changed, what's new, and tutorials on how to work with it. This time, I got the same carousel of images that's been on the last two updates, and no mention about brand new interfaces. Thus, my feeling of having it sprung on me.

I'm probably in the third category Neil specified. I have a folder for each individual project, and within that a series of subfolders for the different types of assests. I always relegate the preview assets, auto-saves, etc, to a different folder to the project files, to reduce clutter.

It's not-so-much a matter of it only being an extra click or two to enter the Project Setting panel after the project has been created. It's a matter of remembering to do it. Because the settings are sticky, they put auto-saves, etc, into the previous project's directory. 

I created two new projects yesterday, for two different jobs. The first, I blundered my way through the new interface and made a point of immediately accessing the Project Settings panel and setting everything the way I wanted it. But the second project - i completely forgot. Just as I predicted in my original rant, my project assests are now all lumped into the previous one. All because I'm not longer prompted when I create the project.

I've just had a read of the Premiere Public Beta Forum (thanks for the link!). I noticed David Kuspa wrote

We also plan to add access to the Project settings dialog from within Import mode. So it'll be available for those that want to adjust those settings in advance of creating their project.

Sadly, it seems not to be the case 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you select "with the project files" for all other, such as cache and preview, they will be in separate folders within that project file's folder. Which is what you want to happen.

Don't give the cache & other files a separate listing to specfic folders. As then you'll get sent to those specific folders.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines