• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dynamic link problems after new release

New Here ,
Apr 05, 2018 Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After installing the April 3rd versions, all our current PP projects have to be upgraded - and the AE projects converted . - but the PP Dynamic link comps aren't re-syncing. Plus all the render files have disappeared - so as far as I can see we have to re-link all the comps manually then re-render everything. This is a couple of days work on current projects. No way to run a business.

Am I missing something? Shouldn't the workflow stay intact?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Render and cache files don't get shared between versions, and it sounds like you're upgrading from CC 2017 or earlier, rather than one of the two CC 2018 updates before this week's (since you mentioned having to upgrade project files).

Dynamic Link can be tricky, but just to be clear, (and it sounds like this is the case) you upgraded Pr, Ae, and AME to the latest version of CC 2018?

Are you trying to DL comps from Pr into Ae? If so, one trick that works pretty well for me when DL goes offline inside of Ae is that I go back to Pr, open the problem sequence and scrub the playhead until video appears. Then I can go back to Ae and all my comps show the DL Pr sequences again.

Did you restart your computer after upgrading? If not, that should be the first thing you do. You might have a process that's hanging and needs to quit, in order to properly start up again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We had already upgraded to the previous updates of CC2018 and they were fine. Only this one has caused the problems. It' also requires converted AE projects, thus creating more management issues. The DL defaults to the old AE project - so requires the re-import and replacement of the converted AE comps to the upgraded sequences in PP. If it were one or two it's not a problem - but when you've got 30 or so commercials to version this is a real PIA. We moved from AVID to PP for the workflow - but it seems it's not that perfect yet!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about copying the non-converted versions of the project out of the directory (or Zipping them up) and then keeping the current name when converting, rather than adding "_1" or whatever to the new versions? Basically, overwrite your previous versions, while keeping those previous versions safe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks David - that is in fact exactly what we're doing. We'll work around the problem  -  it's just a shame that Adobe can't find a way of updating things without making it necessary to start all over again. There are plenty of other software companies that do that, Filemaker for instance, is up to v17 yet still working on v12 files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 21, 2019 Jul 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Never, ever, EVER use Dynamic Link. Production company I work at we just copy and past the clip from Premiere into AE, export a ProRes and drop that back into the Premiere timeline over the original clip. If you want more of the dynamic link functionality you can always export from AE with the same file name so that it updates in the premiere timeline. It's just better to stay away from dynamic link than have to explain to the client why your work is late.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as far as I can see we have to re-link all the comps manually then re-render everything.

That's correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2018 Apr 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So re-rendered everything saved everything, backed up everything - PP still loses renders when project is closed and re-opened. I've tried using different folders. All that does is gives me folders full of renders that PP won't use.  Am I missing something? This is kind of ridiculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid I don't know. Are you rendering to a network location? That would be the only thing I could think of.

Kevin-Monahanā€‹, is this something you've come across with other users?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried rendering to hard drives on the Mac, we have three internal 1 TB disc - also on the network - tried in the 12.0 project folder with the project on external drives. It renders but doesn't remember where. Someties it asks on wake up but when I try to re-link it doesn't recognise the files.... it's so weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 14, 2018 May 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Origamiuk,

Is this working correctly yet? Let us know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2018 May 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No afraid not - I just tested to make sure - opened a project and watched it build the render in the designated folder next to the project. Closed the project and re-opened it and it found the render fine. Closed premiere pro and re-opened it and then the project - found some of the renders  - but not all. Closed PP a second time and re-opened it - no renders at all. Tried this a couple of times with other projects saving all the time - same results.

It's not a deal breaker, just takes unnecessary time and is frustrating. I'm an Avid convert - prefer the Adobe workflow with AE and AA but Avid was always solid on file locations. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Best

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 16, 2018 May 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill,

If you have a moment, please let the team know about your issue here: Premiere Pro: Hot (912 ideas) ā€“ Adobe video & audio apps

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2018 May 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done. Thanks Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines