• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error connecting to Universe runtime - After the Premiere Pro 22.1.1. update 12/14/2021

Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought that starting a new, updated thread about this might be smart as it directly relates to the Premiere Pro v 22.1.1 update. 

Basically, as of about 4 hours ago and upon allowing Creative Cloud to install the 22.1.1. update, I am unable to access the Red Giant / Maxon Universe plugin. My experience like I'm sure many others out there is that my Red Giant Universe, now under the Maxon App, was completely up to date and working perfectly as of this afternoon with the previous version of Premiere Pro until I updated through Creative Cloud.

Now, both pre-existing projects with Universe affects applied to the timeline are throwing the  "Error connecting to Universe runtime" code, AND brand new projects are doing the same when trying to apply a Universe effect to a new sequence / clip. Given that, this feels like an Adobe issue to resolve and NOT a Red Giant /Maxon problem. 

Through some trial and error, I concluded that I am able to hold and press the ENTER key to get past the error during program load and actually open a project with Universe effects already applied in the timeline (albeit it without any of them working), which is nice as for a few panicked moments I thought I had completely lost an edited sequence. Still, that does not solve anything. 

I am running Creative Cloud on a windows 10 pro 64 bit system that is incredibly up to date and fairly powerful. Both Creative Cloud Desktop and Maxon App are their most recent versions. Yes, I did try to restart, uninstall and reinstall, to no avail. I would prefer to not roll back to a previous version or moment in time, and instead have this issue addressed. 

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

This has been fixed with today's update for Universe. Please sign into your Maxon App and download the update to Universe! (It'll be 5.1.0 when you update)

More info here: https://maxonvfx.com/3oPJ9Cl

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 186 Replies 186
Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2021 Dec 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but I only get the option to uninstall when I do that... no "other versions" option available... guess I'm stuck with this version now i'm very annoyed...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The screen shot you shared has "Start Trial".  Do you have an active subscription? Perhaps previous version aren't available on the trial version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start Pr from a shortcut. Hold down the Shift+Opt/Alt keys until you see the main program screen. Open your project.

Shift resets the plugin cache and Opt/Alt resets your preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must be doing something wrong with this workaround because it is still crashing my system on export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same! I got Universe to finally work with Premiere v22.0, however as soon as I navigate to File -> Export -> Media, the application crashes immediately (easily replicated every time).

Were you ever able to get around this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Opening preogfram while holding Shift + Alt (resets plugin catche and preferences) did not fix the bug. I also tried re-installing Pr, but still bug perssisted. For now, if you require the use of Red Giant Universe, I suggest reverting back to Premiere Pro v 22.0. It's the holidays so this can wait. Im sure Adobe will look into it later in Janauary after Holidays. 
I hope everyone has a great Christmas/ New Years!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2021 Dec 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. Reverted back to PP22. If anyone needs a way to downgrade their project files back to 22, there are youtube videos that explain how to do this. I have had to downgrade projects before and it works well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can work any 2022 project in any build of 2022. So you can take a project created or worked in 22.1.2 and open it in 22.0 without any trouble at all.

Except for now, you get your Maxon/RG plugins working.

And yes, we're still waiting for the fix for this between Adobe and Maxon.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maxon is aware of this bug and they are working to fixe it. Their recommendation, for now, is roll back to Premiere Pro v22.0: https://support.maxon.net/hc/en-us/articles/4412839263378--Error-connecting-to-Universe-runtime-when...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, we have a similar problem on our Mac M1 stations, Maxon Red Giant complete install all the suites without issue excpet for RG Universe. It's shown on the loading screen of premiere pro but then when you look for the plug on the effects tab is not there. I reverted premiere pro to 22.0 but the problem persist.

Thanks,

Roger from Dacor Productions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Roger,

Once you revert back to Premiere Pro 22.0, open up the Maxon application and uninstall Red Giant. Once that's done, reinstall Red Giant again. Open up Premiere Pro and the effects will appear. This is the temporary work-around until Adobe/Maxon are able to patch it, hopefully in the next 22.3 update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2022 Jan 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, hope it gets solved soon. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys. 

I am sorry to say that "error connecting to universe runtime" pops up also at version 22.0 ( in my case) i moved back to 2021 pp version. Think it is 15.0. Now i have no problem. If possible try using Red Giant plugins only in After Effects and then export clip to Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,
i got the same issue and f***** up a deadline!
So this is really an issue and at least one of the developer-teams should take care of this error!!!
But afterwards -of course afterwards- I found a workaround (maybe a solution) that worked for me (RTX3080, Win10, Premiere Pro 2021, RedGiant Universe v5.0.1):

I was running my nvidia-card with the latest nvidia Studio-Driver. Switching to the GameReady Driver all my Universe transitions and FX-Layers were working fine! Even timeline-scrubbing and playback was smooth 🙂
Maybe that is also a solution for anybody else out there!

btw: all resets did not work for me (e.g. re-install PremierePro or MaxonApp or going back to Universe 4.1). I am working with Premiere 21(v15.4.1), so I do not know if this is solving the error with PremierePro22

Best Jens

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fascinating sleuthing there! Going from the Studio to Game Ready drivers is kinda like the ending of Ghostbusters, you know?

"Wait, you told me to never cross the streams ... "

lol

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't really understand the nuances (or even teh big stuff!) of nvidia.  Is there a risk or a cost to switching drivers, since isn't "Studio" meant to be optimized for things like Adobe? In doing so, are there things to wasatch out for?

Thanks for any more experienced or professional advice!

--mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just that the 'game-ready' drivers have tended to load other gamer things and somehow don't work properly for video editing applications. But at times, they've been ok.

Just there's enough history of issues the first thing we'll go to for Nvidia driver issues is ... is this with a game-ready driver.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2022 Jan 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey mark, you can read here: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4931/~/nvidia-studio-faqs:

"How do Studio Drivers differ from Game Ready Drivers (GRD)? In 2014, NVIDIA created the Game Ready Driver program to provide the best day-0 gaming experience. In order to accomplish this, the release cadence for Game Ready Drivers is driven by the release of major new game content giving our driver team as much time as possible to work on a given title. In similar fashion, NVIDIA now offers the Studio Driver program. Designed to provide the ultimate in functionality and stability for creative applications, Studio Drivers provide extensive testing against top creative applications and workflows for the best performance possible.
[...]
While you can only install one driver at a time, switching is easy! Within GeForce Experience, click the menu (three vertical dots in the top right corner) to reveal a toggle and select the driver of your choice. "

So nvidia says studio driver should perform better with premiere but as I expirienced, the GRD is now performing better - in case you want to run the Universe PlugIn in Premiere. As my project is gone now, I switched back to the Studio Driver and try not to use the Universe Stuff anymore!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm. I'm confused by this post. The Universe issue didn't even show up for me until Premiere 22.1. It always worked on Premiere 21 (15.4.1) with Studio drivers. In fact it works on V22. It was the point upgrades where it broke recently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What jensta was saying was that even though the Maxon/RG plugins didn't work within Pr with the Studio drivers, they did with the game-ready drivers. As Nvidia notes, the drivers have different internals.

And for some reason, the Maxon plugins worked on his setup with the game-ready driver when they wouldn't with the Studio. Simply a practical post of what got working.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand, Neil, But you're not following...

If you look at the first post Jensta mentions "I found a workaround (maybe a solution) that worked for me (RTX3080, Win10, Premiere Pro 2021, RedGiant Universe v5.0.1):" and again "btw: all resets did not work for me (e.g. re-install PremierePro or MaxonApp or going back to Universe 4.1). I am working with Premiere 21(v15.4.1), so I do not know if this is solving the error with PremierePro22."

My point was...yeah but it was always working in those versions, so how does this apply to Premiere 22. That was my point and it was a valid question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2022 Feb 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RG is SO bad.

I didn't renew this year because of the amount of bugs I got last year, and terrible customer service that was extremely slow to respond, but changed my mind 6-months later hoping they'd got their act together.

Didn't happen. Absolutely shocking from Maxon. Definitely the last time I make that mistake, will never ever return to their products. Embarassing from their side to have this issue going on so long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i can see my effects of the titles but when i export there is nothing there

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,
With the new update 22.2, is the issue solved? Before I migrate?
In any cases, I'll cancel my Maxon subscribtion: close to cost 2x adobe suite  + a lot of bugs, even before this particular one + no support. When comparared to FxFactory on mac and a lifetime plugin use, just a shame. So bye bye.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still at 22.0.0 waiting for this response, with the 2.3 Beta version i still have the same error so i'm afraid this isn't solved

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines