• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exported videos don't show on Windows apps -- but work fine in Quicktime and other apps

Enthusiast ,
Oct 23, 2021 Oct 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No matter which settings I use in Premiere, my exported videos are blank -- white or black -- on Windows devices like Photo, Windows Media Player and "Movies & TV", which even shows this attached Missing Codec error: 0xc00d36b4

MissingCodec(1).PNG

But the videos play as expected within Premiere as well as in Quicktime and on some websites. So perhaps it's more of a Windows issue.

At any rate, I'm not doing anything differently than I used to earlier this year when I exported a lot of videos that could instantly be played on all platforms, so I think this happened after a Premiere update. There's also some good news in that dept, though -- Premiere now supports my CUDA cards which means it takes 20 min. to render a video that literally used to take 4 hours. 🙂

TOPICS
Error or problem , Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post screenshot export settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on another computer right now so I can't do that today, but I really think I've tried all reasonably ordinary settings, including the most common ones, and I get the exact same results no matter what I do: Total white or black screens (audio is played back correctly, though).

Again, I actually think it's more of a Windows issue, because the videos look as expected on every other platform I've tried.

It did worry me a bit for a few hours though, until I started testing on a Mac and saw that everything looked fine there.

I should add that though all Adobe's app are the latest versions, I haven't updated Windows on that PC the past 5-6 months because everything in the current setup works fine with some 3D apps i need to use. So perhaps Windows' media players are already obsolete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Humor us: post the screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By all means:

Settings.PNG

One thing I did notice though, is the "Software encoding" above, since I'm using GPUs for rendering: 

Settings1.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually just thought of something -- are these Windows apps even supporting this resolution?

I don't know much about Windows as I primarily use it for 3D stuff I can't do on Mac, but I just looked up Windows Media Player and it looks like it's limited to HD or something.

Perhaps that's also the case with the other Windows apps ("Photos", "Movie & TV")...

EDIT: Okay, we can forget about that; I played 4k videos this Summer on at least some of those apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try a normal size export setting to begin with: might be too high

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually just thought of something -- are these Windows apps even supporting this resolution?

By @sebastian2012a

The Windows app is very limited, as you have seen. Use a free third part media player such as Global Potplayer. PotPlayer will playback the file fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! I didn't know these limitations -- but I did have a feeling Windows might be the issue here, one way or another.

Yes, I'll download a player. It's a bit sad because I did like "Photo" for its white background, which I need for test purposes as my end medium has a white background.

"Photo" does accept hi-res stills however, so it's possible to render the video and export a frame for testing in that environment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines