Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flickering footage in Premiere Pro CC 2014 but not in Premiere Pro CC 2013

New Here ,
Aug 14, 2014 Aug 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I've been having repeated issues with Premiere Pro CC 2014 on Windows. Basically my footage has a weird strobe/flicker when in the suite and when rendered off even although the footage looks fine, unaltered out of the camera. I rendered off the same footage in the 2013 edition of the software and there is no flicker/strobing going on. I've included one of the worst effected shots in CC 2014 and CC 2013 for comparison.I also experience graphical glitches occasionally when rendering. Please watch below:

Premiere Pro CC 2014 - strobing (300% speed, cropped 15%, RGB curve adjustment, software rendered)

YouTube

Premiere Pro CC 2013 - strobing (300% speed, cropped 15%, RGB curve adjustment, software rendered)

Premiere Pro CC 2013 - no flickering - YouTube

The footage was shot on a Nikon D3200 at 1080p 25fps, aperture 3.5, shutter 1/50, ISO 400.

Editing on a

Dell Optiplex 9020

Intel i5-4570 3.2 Ghz

4 gb Ram

Intel HD Graphics 4600

Windows 7

Has anyone else experienced this issue? My suspicion is an issue with either my graphics card or insufficient RAM.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 127 Replies 127
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2016 Jan 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MACBOOK PRO LATE 2015 13 INCH IRIS PRO 6100 running the new copy of Premiere still glitching in OpenCL render CPu one runs fine but it's slow is there a FIX coming up ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2015 May 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

$10,000 to switch a 5 workstation Apple Studio over 6 months.

FCP7 deadend, FCPX obviously not pro, Motion and DVD Studio Pro all have to be abandoned

Everyone is raving about Premier Pro CC, we buy new MacPro Black, top of the line

We spend a month editing, learning, titling is After Effects, step by step getting pretty excited, interface pretty cool, speed improved

Integration with PS, AE, PP, AME - truly cool.

THEN . . . we CAN'T GET A CLEAN RENDER OUT WITHOUT FLICKERING?

We need outputs ProRes, QT, Mobile, .m2v, etc etc etc. Media Encoder was to exciting to look at . . . until . . . FLICKERING.

We are out of business. All projects are in CC 2014. We have no "options to go back" to 2013

We have 1,400 team performances from all over the world DUE with titles.

We hardly use advanced effects, just 3 way color correct and cross fades.

We are all sitting here in studio just staring at each other. We can't deliver this to clients.

I'm the owner of this company, and paralyzed. This thread goes back to August?

What production house has been delivering anything to anyone with flickering/strobing in it?

Specs:

Apple OSX 10.9.5

3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon ES

16 GB Memory 1867 MHz DDR3

Graphics AMD FirePro D500 3072MB

and there's a Beta where it stops, and we can't get it, nor an estimate on when we can?

It's like having a fatal disease, you're dying, and there's a drug not approved by the FDA, so you can't get it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's bad situation you are in BG9, and I hoped this thread would have made a difference by now.

I think these message boards are just a place to vent and who has hours to further troubleshoot on the phone when we are paying for a product that's supposedly ready for market?  I had a great back and forth with Red Giant (all by email) to troubleshoot a recent issue for example (THAT'S GREAT CUSTOMER SUPPORT).

No matter how well meaning Adobe is being represented on this message board, as a company they have failed with Premiere. And that fact that the issue is supposedly gone in CC 2015 offers no confidence that it won't come back (since they can't seem to find it in CC 2014) and further enforces they are turning to the cell phone business model, keep churning out new versions, no matter what the flaws.

It's extremely disappointing that a company that has developed so many great things has become so unresponsive this problem.

I also am looking for an easy way to make the transition (while staying in business) from a Premiere based workflow and dumping the cloud and I think if we all do that it would be a good thing.

Too bad Apple totally dropped the ball, and left most people with no options. It looks like Sony/DaVinci will earn a serious look again (I started off with Vegas Pro which was a nice option before Premiere was temporarily resurrected) and am currently reading round trip workflow from Vegas to DaVinci.

And for the record, I am NOT an angry Adobe basher. I'm just hoping to regain trust and continue to use their software, but that's not looking good at this point.

And does anyone think any high level of management really cares about this thread or even knows about it? When I received an email from one, then I'll know there may be a change in corporate culture and it will get better.

Good luck

JW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no plans to ever switch anytime soon, but if BlackMagic can really turn Davinci into a legitimate piece of editing software, that's going to be impressive.  They have a while to go ATM. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JW,

Again, we believe we have fixed the issue in an upcoming version. Also, this problem does not affect all users. I am running Premiere Pro on my MacBook Pro and a PC without this issue, for example. If you are also facing this issue, let us know, and we can try and help you troubleshoot. If you wish to have any troubleshooting done via email (and not over chat or phone), let me know. I can arrange that.

These boards are not only for venting. I have active threads I am working on directly with engineering. We work with customers on these forums directly to solve issues. So, I'm sorry you are getting the wrong impression.

I am the Support Product Manager, not just an agent. So, I don't know if that's "high level" enough for you, but I thought I'd clarify. If you are expecting someone at the executive level to comment on a forum thread, I don't think I can make that happen. Sorry. However, feel free to PM me if you have any other suggestions for providing better support. I appreciate your concern.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

Thank you so much for being present, and responsive.

I would like to troubleshoot via email - trying settings changes, GPU, anything at this point, we are desperate here. I did message you, and I'm grateful for this relatively quick answer in this forum, but I don't know how to setup the email troubleshooting assistance.

I had also seen somewhere that Adobe may have paid sessions support somewhere? Is it worth it since there appears to be no current solution? I haven't tweaked the various setting. I want to add, this is not an effects heavy project, or sequence. Just 3 way color correct and highlights/shadows. Then an AE Lower third for 10 seconds at the opening of a 5 minute team dance.

Thanks,

Antonio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bear Guy,

Thank you so much for being present, and responsive.

My pleasure.

I would like to troubleshoot via email - trying settings changes, GPU, anything at this point, we are desperate here. I did message you, and I'm grateful for this relatively quick answer in this forum, but I don't know how to setup the email troubleshooting assistance.

I can certainly escalate your issue with the option of troubleshooting via email. Let's try here first, though, shall we?

I had also seen somewhere that Adobe may have paid sessions support somewhere? Is it worth it since there appears to be no current solution?

You have free support for your Creative Cloud applications. In the future, you can start here: Contact Customer Care It is the one way you can assure a response from Adobe Support. To set your expectations, these forums are more user-to-user based, so you cannot expect that all the posts will be responded to by an Adobe employee. I do try and participate as much as I can, however, but I'm only one guy and there are thousands of posts each month.

Info on paid support, if you are interested: Adobe - Support Plans : Policies : Terms & Conditions
You do get the same support agents with paid support, but have more priority in response times, etc.

Just 3 way color correct and highlights/shadows. Then an AE Lower third for 10 seconds at the opening of a 5 minute team dance.

Shadow/Highlight is the likely culprit. What happens if you remove that effect? With the default settings it will introduce flicker. I have also seen the Three-Way Color Corrector flicker on certain footage. Try Fast Color Corrector.

In general, to avoid flicker, I would try a different combination of effects to achieve the look you want.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2015 Jun 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Kevin-Monahan, I have sent in e-mails and tried to reach adobe on this topic. I'd love to help out.

I have the Macbook Pro Retina 13"(Early 2015 Model), It is the brand spankin new of brand spankin new as far as MacBooks go.

Processor: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Graphics: Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

I use the Adobe creative cloud and have the newest version of premiere pro

https://vimeo.com/128210275/settings/privacy

This is a link to a video where I tried to use the 3 way color corrector. As you can see, it is unusable. You made mention of an update, is that coming out this year?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 04, 2015 Jul 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Finn,

Sorry I missed your earlier message.

Hello Kevin-Monahan, I have sent in e-mails and tried to reach adobe on this topic. I'd love to help out.

Try a PM here on the forum to get my attention. I try not to miss any personal messages.

I have the Macbook Pro Retina 13"(Early 2015 Model), It is the brand spankin new of brand spankin new as far as MacBooks go.

Processor: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Graphics: Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

I use the Adobe creative cloud and have the newest version of premiere pro

OK, sounds good. Please try a new CC 2015 project and report back on this issue.

https://vimeo.com/128210275/settings/privacy

This is a link to a video where I tried to use the 3 way color corrector. As you can see, it is unusable. You made mention of an update, is that coming out this year?

I don't have permission to see that movie. PM me the password and I'll take a look. See if the same problem occurs in a brand new CC 2015 project. Hopefully, it's fixed.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2015 Jul 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Success!! I couldn't recreate the problem on an original 2015CC project! Thanks Kevin!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 07, 2015 May 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bearguy9,

Try removing the shadow/highlight effect.  You may be getting flicker related to a different issue, one associated specifically with that effect.  Curves may be a good alternative effect.

I started a thread in 2010 (CS5 was current) that still receives regular comments about flicker issues related to the shadow/highlight effect.  I encountered shadow/highlight flicker most often with DSLR footage.  Some users seems to get flicker if the shadow/highlight effect is used on a clip above Video Track 1.  Perhaps the thread will have a solution to your specific situation:  Shadow/Highlight flickeringI like the shadow/highlight effect, but gave up on it ever being reliable and switched to Curves.

The flickering footage CC 2014 issue seems to be a problem for me most when working with adjustment layers.  Applying effect directly to clips seems to help.

Hope this helps,

jb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bear Guy,

First of all, sorry for this frustrating issue.

We need outputs ProRes, QT, Mobile, .m2v, etc etc etc. Media Encoder was to exciting to look at . . . until . . . FLICKERING.

On the 2013 Mac Pro? This problem tends to affect PC users with NVIDIA GPUs, so I'm not quite sure it's the same problem. To verify, can you upload a video sample to YouTube, or the like? I have heard other Mac users talk about "green flashes" but not the flickering as much.

Some things to try:

• Have you tried exporting with the Mercury Playback Engine in "Software Only" mode in Project Settings?
  • Have you tried a different color correction effect to make your grades? (Try the Fast Color Corrector)
  • Are these effects applied to adjustment layers or just to the clips?
  • Have you tried any basic troubleshooting, such as, trashing preferences?
  • Have you checked the permissions of your Adobe folders?

and there's a Beta where it stops, and we can't get it, nor an estimate on when we can?

Yes, we were able to reproduce the issue from a customer's project in the current version (on a PC with a NVIDIA GPU), and the new version does not exhibit the same behavior. As far as getting in on our beta program, you can PM me and I can ask, but I have a feeling that it is too late since we're so close to shipping it. Also, we never announce our ship dates in advance. Sorry.

Try the things I mentioned and please post a video sample of your issue ("flicker" can mean many things).

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2015 May 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Any news on this or an official bug fix release date Adobe? I have a critical project that needs to go out to the film festivals but that's impossible with a strobing render...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2015 May 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i just picked up a mac pro tower and that fixes the issue. A very expensive solution to a simple problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2015 May 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blimey, yes that is!  Well I've tried changing the sequence setting (video preview Quicktime or AVI) for another test project I had with extreme flickering.  That and unapplying the warp stabilisation and applying again, ensuring it was on the bottom effects layer seemed to fix the issue, at least for that particular project.  I have no idea if that has any knock on effects though or if a true HD render is still affected or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2015 Jun 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update on the fix coming out? My whole production company is getting crippled trying to get shows to the network right now.

5 stations:

Windows 7

24GB to 32GB RAM

4 with GTX 660ti

1 with Quadro 4000 graphics

Premiere CC2014.2

Just updated all of the graphic drivers. Our fix has been two fold. Either removing the curves, fast color, or sharpening effect and re-adding them, then rendering to verify and exporting after that. OR the second solution, we switch the order around of the effects, and this seems to work, sometimes. Only problem is this creates a different look.

30 minute broadcast shows with way to many cuts to count, and multiple video tracks. Going to every clip is not a solution we can manage for much longer.

Update on the patch/fix would be great. May 4th was when it seemed like you guys had some sort of solution.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2015 Jun 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I contacted Adobe support with this issue and this is what they told me to do:

In Premiere Pro go to File > Project settings > General, change the Video Renderer to Mercury Playback Engine software only.  Click OK and select Delete PReviews.  Then delete media cache files and rendered previews (C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common).

That and moving around grade layers, reapplying warp stabilisation etc. does seem to have helped, especially on less grade heavy projects.  However, I won't have chance to test that properly on my film project until this weekend as I also have a tonne of clips to adjust to say if that really actually works or not, plus of course a full render and export.

Realistically a fix should have been out of the door ages ago IMO without people having to go around the houses to 'fix' bugs that shouldn't exist to this level in a professional application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2015 Jun 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone confirm that this problem is no longer with CC 2015? I'm on a Macbook Pro (mid-2014), the model with all the bells and whistles. I'm looking to update but want to be sure the problem is fixed. Also thinking about downloading the CUDA driver to use for rendering so does anybody know wether that has helped the flickering exports?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2015 Jun 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been unable to upgrade on my Mac but it worked like a dream on my PC, no more flicker!  You can install 2015 and not uninstall 2014 btw.  When you press update a box pops up and you need to uncheck the remove old versions option before proceeding.  Then simply make a copy of your entire project and open that up in 2015 to upgrade a version. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Emma P,

I've been unable to upgrade on my Mac but it worked like a dream on my PC, no more flicker! 

Very cool, thanks for the report.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2015 Sep 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm currently experiencing the exact same issue. Preview works fine, when I export it's looking good then suddenly starts flickering. I noticed it starts when there is a .ai graphic appearing (mith mask), it starts flickering until the end of the film.

However this issue is new to me, and I was able to export files with graphics or not until very recently. It happenned in my last project, never understood why, restarted the cpu reexported and problem was solved. Now, this is my 13th attempts to get a proper file and I can't. I'm am very upset about adobe, especially after reading the whole thread that is pretty old.

I'm on a mid 2014 MacBook Pro

Intel Core i7 2,8 GHz

2X 8G 1600MHZ ram

Inter Iris Pro and NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

running Premiere pro CC2015

Earlier in that thread I've read that your update supposedly corrected this issue, it is not the case.

Thank you for doing what is necessary now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2015 Sep 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

update: Changed the renderer grom Open CL to CUDA and seems to work fine now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2015 Nov 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How i solved this trouble...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2016 Mar 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everybody,

I may be a bit late to the party but I too had this bug.

I got rid of it by unchecking repeat edges on gaussian blur.

Maybe this helps one of you.

cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines