• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Frame substitution recursion attempt aborting after multiple attempts on file

Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2019 Sep 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a beginner at Premiere Pro, and I just updated it to v13.1.5. I've been working on this project for months, and now that I updated I keep getting these errors "Frame substitution recursion attempt aborting after multiple attempts on file" "Error retrieving frame" (see attached). It has affected about 90% of my footage making my file unusable. I was online with Adobe Support for 2 hours yesterday with no resolution. Does anyone have any ideas on if this can even be fixed? I tried replacing my footage with the orginal again and still no luck. I also attached my computer specs. Hopefully I'm explaining this correctly since I'm a beginner.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Found a fix 🙂 In Premiere Pro, go to sequence and select delete render files. Then select all of the videos necessary in your timeline and go to sequence and select render selection. I had this same exact problem as you have. Hope this helps 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I change the extesion mp4 for m4v and this fix the problem for me :/.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although I despise workarounds because, WE SHOULDN’T HAVE TO!!!! – Adobe. Here’s what helped me.

Take the ‘offending’ clip(s); right click -> ‘render and replace’.

Take that result; right click -> ‘nest’.

Then re-apply all your effects to that ‘nested’ sequence.

Tedious double work, but it helped in my situation. And again, WE SHOULDN’T HAVE TO!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried resetting preferences and/or reseting your workspace?
Reset your preferences by holding shift+alt (or option) when you launch Premiere

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a great tip, thanks. Do you know if there is a similar trick to starting Premiere without plugins loading?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe there is, unless you uninstal the plugins.
@Kevin-Monahan any hidden tricks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 23, 2023 Aug 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nowadays, there is @Christian.Z . Press any key at launch and get the option from the Reset Options dialog box. Pretty nice!

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having this issue when I was bringing in footage at 59.94fps and Adobe was reading it as 29.97fps and stretching it.

To fix I did this: https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/59-94p-recorded-avchd-video-previews-as-29-97fps/m-p/106...

Right click file in project window and click Modify>Interoret and charge fps from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2021 Aug 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try nesting the offending images or sequence of images. Very often I get this error on exports where I have complex moves within jpegs and/or overlays or filters. It works for me everytime.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another solution, check (unistall) your plugins or addons, I unistall cinegy daniel 2 and the error gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cezar,

Sorry about the misunderstanding. Yes, if the "Delete Render Files" item cannot be selected in the menu (it is disabled), all the video preview files are deleted for the project. I hope that info helps you!

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changed the location for video and audio previews from Scratch Disk setttings, it worked like a charm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My solution is to simply change the sequence settings.
Specifically I found the following worked for me:

- changing the Video Preview File Format to Quicktime
- changing the codec to None (Uncompressed RGB 8-bit)
- Reducing the video preview size (width around 500 for eg)

These settings also seem to make playback smoother. I discovered this through experimentation, so have a play around and you may find other settings improver performance even more.

2022 and still half my Adobe expertise seems related to avoiding bugs...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

VLC will do it, free. Download from Windows Store, convert your file to YouTubeHD, load that into Premiere. File is approximately the same size, and now all is cool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, I just ran into a simialr problem.  I was recording an hour long presentation to a SD card.  The video was broken down into 3 video segments on my card ( this tends to be normal).  I usally piece the 3 segments back without issue.  On this occassoion, the second clip came up with the mention frame recursion error. I'm using the latested version of Adobe CC.  It was frustrating.  After reading some of the relpies, I tried a much older version of Premier Pro and it worked.  I should mention that the clip would play properly in my VLC player and when I  loaded the raw clip to youtube, it played as well.  Could this have something to do with the problem occurring at the exact moment as a new clip was made?  Not sure, as this was the first issue that I have had.  Hopefully, this might further the discussion.  

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found another fix to this issue... for some reason my footage was 49.99 fps... very odd frame rate indeed, I didnt record it to be fair... I had to use Handbreak to change the frame rate to a more common fps like 25fps. After that, Premiere rendered no problem. So just check the frame rates of the original footage. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never update anything during the middle of an active edit.

Editor Rule #1(ish) : preserve the project file at all costs. Save new versions DAILY - if not more - with a stirct and universal naming convention : ProjectName_OtherInfo_YYMMDD. Auto save helps every 15-20 mins but you want to "Save as" each session. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

XML out to Resolve as a last resort

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2022 Nov 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same issue after updating to Premiere Pro 2023 on a project from 2022 

Fix: Sequence > Sequence Settings > Under Video Previews my Preview File Format is set to Quicktime - Switch Codec from Animation to Apple Pro Res 422

System:  Thinkpad P53 - Intel Xeon, Nvidia RTX5000, Windows 10 Pro 64

Footage: .MP4 File // MPEG Movie // Codec Type: MP4/MOV H.264 4:2:0 (Full Range) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines