Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

help with color grading

Engaged ,
Dec 25, 2016 Dec 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello i am working at a video of my travel to patagonia

I have clips form panasonic gh3 and sony action cam, shot in completelly different situation, sun, cloud, rain, snow, morning, afternoon evening..

i would like to apply some grading but don't know how..they are totally different..i know that i have split the trip in 4 different parts..related to the mood

I am still "week" with color correction, any hint would be really appreciated

Thanks a lot

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 29, 2016 Dec 29, 2016

Scopes tell you what the signal is doing ... past that, you just need to learn how to read them, and what to expect from certain types of scenes.

Those out-door scenes you've posted here, with clouds ... those will have values approaching or even exceeding the top 100 line of the standard-range media for RGB Parade, Waveform, or the Histogram.

An indoor-scene that doesn't have any light-sources in it, say a typical evening living room? May not have anything that really should be above 80. Or may .

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,
Dec 30, 2016 Dec 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

anda again another question

exposure parameter

how do i treta it?

what shall be the correct wave on scope for a correct exposure?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am followin a tutorial tha say exposure work in the area 40-60 of the scope and the difference with highlights is tha the latter work on the top of the scale

is that correct?

..what do i do with these?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and another..sorry

if a kind of rule exists..is general better working by "adding" or "subtracting"? talking about increase values compared to decrease the opposite..

example..too much blue

decrease blue or increase red and green?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Depends on the situation. No generalization will apply. Remember  .... EVERYTHING is a contrast issue. Everything.

Your task is to help the viewer see what they need to see as easily and clearly as possible. And you may choose to try and create or modify their emotional response also. If so it's accomplished by the same tools.

Modifying contrast, Luma  (brightness versus darkness) and/or Chroma (Saturation versus gray, hue versus hue).

You have limits on all Luma and Chroma signal levels that you must stay within. So to get the reaction to your media you have to think through and often test multiple ways of getting "there". And at times you'll find you need to change where "there" is as those limitations on final signal won't allow you to accomplish what you need down the path you'd chosen.

Sometimes you need to raise a hue's Saturation to pop your major visual element but at other times it's required to lower the Saturation of an opposite hue. Both can do a similar thing but from a different path.

It's a learning process. Always.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines