• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing image sequence: option greyed out

Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2013 May 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to import a sequence of numbered images as a video clip into Premiere Pro CS6, but it won't take the files:

I've got 9480 JPEG image files named like BlahXXXX.jpg where XXXX goes from 0000 to 9479.

Now when I go to File > Import... and select all those files, the checkbox in the bottom of the file choosing window (image sequence) gets greyed out. If I just select a single image, I can check it, but when clicking "Import" then, Premiere will only import that single still frame.

What am I doing wrong?

TOPICS
Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 08, 2015 Jan 08, 2015

Hi Digihill1,

This works as expected for me. Try this:

1. Choose File > Import (not the Media Browser)
  2. Navigate to the folder with your image sequence in it
  3. Click the first image in the image sequence (only select the first image, not all the images in the folder)
  4. Click the Image Sequence check box at the bottom of the Import dialog box
  5. Click the Import button
  6. Your image sequence is imported as a clip

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2024 Feb 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is still broken almost 10 years later, on Adobe Premiere Pro 2024. The "Image Sequence" checkbox is grayed out and cannot be selected. I have valid JPG files sequentially named in a folder by themselves that I am trying to import to create a timelapse as.

adobe-premiere-pro-cant-select-image-sequence.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jan 07, 2015 Jan 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally went to AE CS6 to get the job done no problems like in Premiere Pro cs6 and cc as explained here. Someone needs to fix this bug!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 07, 2015 Jan 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

digihill1 wrote:

Finally went to AE CS6 to get the job done no problems like in Premiere Pro cs6 and cc as explained here. Someone needs to fix this bug!

We have no bug to log & fix, because it's not happening for us. If you log a problem report for it, please provide the actual media files and the specific steps you followed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2015 Feb 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. Follow the process (as it has always been), tried jpeg, png, etc., relabelled sequence, pressed shift+alt on opening Pr and still no joy.

I will also revert to Pr6 to get the job done.

Any assistance gratefully received.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 11, 2015 Feb 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Nina: what are you seeing upon import? (see step 6 above)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 11, 2015 Feb 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing an image (jpeg, png, etc.) not a clip.

I've tried many options but none seem to be working.

Works great in Pr6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 01, 2015 Mar 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the exact same problem and was banging my head against the wall, with the "image sequence" checkbox being greyed out no matter what.

Then I just went ahead and imported the first frame (.dng image) in my sequence by itself, and lo and behold, the entire image sequence was imported and worked just like a regular clip in my timeline. Importing that first image showed that it was a sequence automatically, the name on import was FILE NAME [000000-000162]. My first frame was named FILE NAME 000000.dng

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 06, 2015 Mar 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to know! It will be interesting to know if that ends up being the case for Nina too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2018 Jul 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Not happening for us" but for the rest of the world... still you can find these community spaces as an unofficial thermometer of what is going on with CC and consider taking a look at what it seems to be a weak step on the UX side which you probably (should) take as a sacred cow. Screen Shot 2018-07-03 at 8.16.44 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 03, 2018 Jul 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think your images are named wrong: central_0001.jpg etc would have been more appropriate imo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2015 Apr 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not working for me, as individual DNG files or as a sequence of DNG files.

I used DNG Converter 8.8 to convert Canon 5D3 raw files to DNG files.

Latest version of Prem Pro CC.
Tried restarting computer.

Tried moving files to another disk.

Tried moving files to SSD

Tried moving files to SSD RAID 0 array

Premiere Pro CC says "Unsupported format or damaged file"

This error occurs no matter the sequence numbering or individual file name/number.

Trying to streamline my timelapse workflow.

Isn't DNG Convert 8.8 supposed to make Cinema DNG files?

Why doesn't Premiere Pro import DNG files? jstrawn‌ Kevin-Monahan‌

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2015 Aug 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this feature changed again? Image Sequence button is greyed out for me no matter how many times i select only the first image.

Its a set of images in perfect order directly from Lightroom CC, with files names being regular (1 of 260) in the end.

Importing manually makes Premiere Pro screw up the order and the timelapse gets chaotic, while the order is perfect in filenames.

I renamed all files using Windows filenamer, making a filename like xxx (1) xxx (2) etc. but that did not work either. Order of timelapse is still intact, but PPro does not recognize that theres an image sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2015 Oct 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done everything everyone has suggested above and still, no matter what I do, the image sequence option is grayed out. Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2015 Oct 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I've tried all of the above but still only get one image imported or the whole lot as individual. Is there a fix coming for this bug please. I used it effortlessly just a week ago and this time nothing. But I found a solution, Sony Vegas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2015 Nov 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found that if you are trying to pull the images directly off the camera into Adobe Premier Pro or off of some removeable media causes this problem. Put the images on your hard disk first and then try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2015 Nov 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Sony is all fine and good but I pay for Adobe and have done for many years so I'd like it to work, so I persist. I uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled and no change. How can it just stop working one day

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2015 Dec 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just Uncheck the duplicate check option

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2015 Dec 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks h holding

where is the duplicate check option please

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2015 Dec 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I had this problem as well. Finally found a work around.

If you open the files in the Media Browser it sees them as a video clip instead of the list of images. Right Click on the file and select import and it will come in as a video file. Not sure why it doesn't work through the project window, but this way worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2017 Mar 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, worked for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 05, 2019 Jul 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The better answer is the one described by joshbcarter because the file import approach (either from the file menu or right-clicking in the Project panel) described as the correct answer just does not see consecutively numbered image files as a video clip (in my case, DNGs from BlackMagic Cinema cameras shooting in raw format), and thus continues to keep the option to check Image Sequence grayed out.

This is still true as of July, 2019, using PrPro 13.1.2 on macOS 10.14.5.

What does work is to

• Go to the Media Browser panel
  • Locate the folder with the sequence of image files
  • Click on that folder, and finally...
  • Click on the single file Media Browser shows, indicating it understands this is a video clip of sequential images

It then imports into the currently open bin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2016 Jan 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup. I'm having the same problem as everyone else. I edited the photos in Lightroom CC and exported them using the same settings and in chronological order. I exported them into a folder titled "Timelapse" on my hard drive. From there I go into Premiere Pro where I already have my projected created. I double-click in the Project window and then click Import. I then find my "Timelapse" folder, click on it so the only thing I see is the contents of the "Timelapse" folder. I click on the first image and check the Image Sequence box on the bottom and then press Import to find that the only thing that was imported was the first image .jpeg of the folder. I then go into the folder again to try to import and when I click on the first image to try again, the Image Sequence box is already checked. I then retry importing but am met with the same issue. I also tried selecting the last photo in the folder first to see if that did anything and the image already had the Image Sequence box check from my past attempts! I of course attempt to import it this way and am met with the same results. This is driving me crazy. Please someone from Adobe help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2016 Jan 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem today. My fix was when I exported from Lightroom, I used the Custom Name- Sequence option under the File Naming tab.  I was then able to select the Image Sequence check box  Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 14, 2016 Feb 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i had the same problem. thats what solve it to me:

1. i renamed the files: something0001 (no dash)

2. opened a project not as timeline but "frames"

3. on the source i imported as all mentioned

that worked

good luck

eytan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2016 Feb 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do the image names have anything to do with this working or not working? My sequence starts at 0004, but is indeed sequential from 0004 to 9999. Still no joy. Or does the sequence number have to be at the end of the filename? Eg. XXXXX-XXXXX_0004.jpeg etc. (I am doing a time-lapse that was captured over the course of 10 months. This is the first segment I am working on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines