Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

iPhone 12 pro max and 13 pro HDR footage blown out in Premiere Pro 2022 (v22.0)

Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After upgrading to Premiere Pro 2022 (v22.0) all my HDR footage from my iPhone 12 ProMax and 13 Pro are blown out (screen shot below)

Screenshot_2.pngScreenshot_3.png

There are actually similar disscussion here that talks about this issue, but i thought i would make new discussion that spesifically talks about this issue on iPhone 12 Promax series and above. So whoever having similar issue hopefully could find this thread when they're googling

There are two solution to fix this issue

First Solution, go to project panel, select all of your HDR clips > Right Click (windows) > Interpret Footage > Color Space Override > Choose Rec 2020

Screenshot_5.pngScreenshot_6.png

Second Solution (I do recommend using this), open your creative cloud control panel and just re-install previous version Premiere Pro 2021 v15.4.1 (i'm using both PP 2021 & 2022 at the moment)

Screenshot_7.png

Hope this will help whoever having this iPhone HDR footoge blown out on Premiere Pro 2022 v22.0

TOPICS
Editing, Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021
Hi Lorenzo, Sorry about that. Providing color managed workflows, especially for HDR, was a top request for quite some time. Many customers want to deliver HDR video, and with the new features, it makes it a lot easier to do.  If you just want to shoot non-HDR video and be done with such things as input LUTs and changing the color space of your sequence settings, you can do that by switching it off in your iPhone settings. I have switched it off for my own iPhone, to be honest. Sorry again abo...

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional , Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021
This new version added quite a bit of user-settable color management options (CM) and that's confused a lot of people. There are several places to check & set CM. Clip properties in the bin: Modify/Interpret Footage Sequence settings dialog settings Scopes panel settings. For most users with HDR media right now, I'd suggest setting the sequence to the 2100/HLG option as a starting point. Match that in the scopes and clip settings if you can. And report back how well it works. It will p...

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice here. Oh an Adobe thank you for costing me time and money once again with a shoddy update. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After experienceng this issue, now I know that I shouldn't update right aways when there is new update for adobe softwares. Glad to help

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lorenzo,

Sorry about that. Providing color managed workflows, especially for HDR, was a top request for quite some time. Many customers want to deliver HDR video, and with the new features, it makes it a lot easier to do. 

If you just want to shoot non-HDR video and be done with such things as input LUTs and changing the color space of your sequence settings, you can do that by switching it off in your iPhone settings. I have switched it off for my own iPhone, to be honest.

Sorry again about the update causing confusion.

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the comment. This happened after a whole host of crashes mid project and a corrupted file, which caused me to update to 2022 edition in haste. Ordinarily this wouldn't be something I'd normally do and was an extreme measure to see if I could resolve the stated issues as I was up against multiple deadlines. Oddly enough the previous issues have now stablised and with the fix from R Heil Haugen the HDR situation is resolved.

I should also add, I'm not a developer or programmer, but continually up against the clock freelancer. When this stuff happens, I lose money. It would be great if a change like this is going to affect footage that it's flagged. 

Thanks

Lorenzo 

Thanks

Lorenzo 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you're working ... and yea, the new CM changes caught a lot of users unfortunately.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This presupooses that you shoot the footage you're editing. As a professional editor, I'm working more and more with footage shot by phones and have no control of the users settings. (I'm currently cutting makeup tutorials shop by influencers). Something to consider. 

Thanks,

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Consider what? And I'm not being flippant here, just ... thoughtful. I work daily with a wide group of colorists, who of course rarely shoot what they're working. And they frequently have to chase down both the color gamut and color space (two very different things) of the clips they're working.

And they may have a couple thousand clips in a job. Just establishing the gamut & space of some of their jobs is a nightmare.

The Premiere Pro developers had to get more color management settings into the app, period. With the various forms of HDR coming down the pike at us all, this had to be added to the program. The devices we're all getting things to edit from are starting to have wider gamuts, other color spaces, well past Rec.709 that has been the solid standard of such an app as PrPro. As you've noted.

The problem with adding more CM options has always been ... how to do so without creating a situation where many users screw the pooch in mis-setting things. As a contrast, Resolve has always had a great depth of CM settings for the users. And so many less-experienced users make less than useful decisions.

But those options have to be included now. Even in PrPro. And they've tried to do so with the most options for the user and least likelihood of disaster for users.

I personally disagree with some of the ways this has been rolled out, as to me the CM choices and options are split all over the app, and it's a bit of work to go chase them all down. Well, first you have to know there might be something there to go look for.

But they've thought, in general, this "location" of the options they have added would be not too difficult for most users to find.

I think that the scattered locations coupled with a couple changes in default behavior are unfortunately leading to troubles that might have been lessened with a different UI setup for CM.

But there's going to be even more options over the next few months. And I'll suggest the likelihood of the location of the CM options shifting is quite high.

Frustrating? Yea. Necessary? Yea.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This new version added quite a bit of user-settable color management options (CM) and that's confused a lot of people. There are several places to check & set CM.

• Clip properties in the bin: Modify/Interpret Footage
  • Sequence settings dialog settings
  • Scopes panel settings.

For most users with HDR media right now, I'd suggest setting the sequence to the 2100/HLG option as a starting point. Match that in the scopes and clip settings if you can.

And report back how well it works. It will probably take us all a bit to sort this out.

And the reaction of some users to the engineers adding CM options, is why many of the engineering staff were reluctant: they knew for a lot of users it would be confusing and cause issues until they could figure it out.

Once you understand how it's supposed to work, you'll have more options than you did before. Yea, it's painful to figure out at first.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2021 Nov 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Kevin!!!

This is Yurie.

I should have asked you two days ago in on the zoom.

My client bought an iPhone13 recently, and he started filming with it and gave me footage to edit.

PremierPre was updated to 2022, so I had no idea when I saw the footage color went crazy exposure.

After I found this suggestions, I modified the color space override to Rec.2020 right now!!

Now I start to use Lumetri Color as same as before. 🙏 👍 😊

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was very very helpful!

Thank you very much.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm just commenting here in the hopes that this boosts this post for someone else because it solved this problem for me! Thank you SO MUCH!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines