• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lag in Captions when editing in text screen - Adobe Premiere

Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Browser & Device type: Mac Book Pro M1 Max, Adobe Premiere is updated, media cache has been cleared.

Issue: When I go to edit a caption in the text window, there is about a 30 sec. delay/lag when I'm done editing for it to allow me to continue working. This started recently, a few weeks ago. I've never had this issue previously. This has been happening on multiple files. I wanted to ensure it wasn't just the one I was working on initially. 

Steps to reproduce:

1. Ran a transcript.
  2. Ran for captions.
  3. Edit a caption and when I go to continue playing the video or edit the next caption, there is a 30-sec delay.

Expected result: There is no delay, I can click anywhere to continue working and it works within a second.
Actual result: 30-second delay to access any other part of premiere.

It's messing with my workflow and my patience, so any suggestions would be helpful.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Hello Julia,

Don't worry, you are in the right place. I can understand the mix up. There are "bugs" with the community forum and bugs for the products themselves. It appears you were in the former. The Premiere Pro Bugs forum (and its protocol) is fairly new and perhaps kglad is not aware of that yet. That aside, thanks for the info you have given so far.

We've seen the bug several times in the Discussion forum but I do not see one listed in the Premiere Pro bugs forum yet. I think we may need

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the future, to find the best place to post your message, use the list here, https://community.adobe.com/

p.s. i don't think the adobe website, and forums in particular, are easy to navigate, so don't spend a lot of time searching that forum list. do your best and we'll move the post if it helps you get responses.

<moved from using the community bugs>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh! Okay, thank you. I was just following what it said to do. 🤷🏻‍:female_sign: I'd prefer to connect with someone from Adobe, but the help option took me to the community. I appreciate any guidance to get my issue worked out! I appreciate the response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i moved your post to the forum where you're most likely to get the help you need.  we just need to wait for a premiere pro expert to respond.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JKRT,

Hello there. Welcome to the Premiere Pro forums. Adobe developers do not read the Discussion forums, just the Bugs and Ideas forums. This sounds like a bug. If we can produce a reproducible case, then that is the best chance for action on the issue. We can move this post to the Bugs forum at that time.

We do have Adobe Experts here, who are experts in the application and that is who are answering questions here. I am like a community manager; a traffic cop so to speak, but I am also an expert, so I can provide a response for you.

I read your note and I have heard about such a problem before. Is it possible that you are using the function on a particularly long sequence? What is the duration of the sequence? In cases like this, that is the observation I had. 

Let us know anything we do not know about your workflow. I hope that we can work together in finding a solution.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin - Thanks for your reply! I had this in the Bug section and it was moved here to ensure I received a response. Feel free to move it wherever, LOL.

The sequence is about 40 min. long. I've worked with similar lengths previously and haven't had an issue. Do you recommend I cut the sequence into small sections?

Julia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Julia,

Don't worry, you are in the right place. I can understand the mix up. There are "bugs" with the community forum and bugs for the products themselves. It appears you were in the former. The Premiere Pro Bugs forum (and its protocol) is fairly new and perhaps kglad is not aware of that yet. That aside, thanks for the info you have given so far.

We've seen the bug several times in the Discussion forum but I do not see one listed in the Premiere Pro bugs forum yet. I think we may need to start by moving this one there since you've formatted the issue so perfectly. Before we do that, can you check on the potential workarounds here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/slow-performance-with-subtitles-premiere-202...

Let me know if zooming in to the sequence helps at all. My colleague Sumeet also recommends deleting media cache and resetting preferences as other potential workarounds in that thread. 

Can you also give more info media type? Is it a 4K file? Which camera shot it? Is it H.264, HEVC, or another type? Can you find out if the files are 10 bit-4:2:2 files from something like a Sony device? That info is the kind of things devs like to know about.

Please excuse any delay as all of Adobe is on leave today. I'm just hangin' out.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KEVIN! I zoomed in while editing captions and it worked!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Julia,

Don't worry about the "which forum" issue too much. We'll find a way to get you to the right place. Here, Kevin is suggesting moving this to the PR Bugs section only after they can reproduce it. I think that is a good method.

The original move was from a "Community" bugs forum to the PR "Discussions" forum. I did have a chuckle at the oddities that the forums can produce.

As Kevin says, poor performance with captions has been reported. The problem is, we're now 3 major versions into the new captions workflow, and it has often been hard to reproduce exactly what the problem is. I'm on PC, and could only reproduce the problem in one version, even if reported on PCs. Some of the recent problems have been on Macs, and I haven't tested. I'll try a new round. When I test this problem, I create a very large project with many captions.

In previous versions of this problem, workarounds are to disable the caption track (when not needed, for example; may allow editing the text, but not moving on timeline), open only one sequence with captions at a time, zoom in so fewer captions show, work in the Program Monitor rather than the Text Panel, or close the Text Panel.

Here's an example where I could replicate the problem in an early version of 22.x:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/slow-performance-with-subtitles-premiere-202...

And where I couldn't any longer in 22.5:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/captions-feature-is-so-buggy-starting-to-get...

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan,

Thank you for weighing in here! I did what Kevin suggested - zooming in while editing and it worked!!! No more delay!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another workaround was reported in a different thread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/extremely-lagging-and-slow-when-typing-capti...

"I found out that if i start premiere pro itself instead of specific project.

The slow issue never happen (about 6 - 8 restart project test)

And i never benn normal performance without reboot after i had problem(It has to be reboot)"

At least one other user reported that it worked.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2023 Dec 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This workaround worked for me too. Itensely grateful, it was getting so painful editing captions and waiting each time.

Thank you!

Drew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2023 Jul 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! I use a macbook pro m2 max and I've been having the same problem for a while now; none of what Kevin suggested worked for me.

Instead I opened premiere pro, and opened my project through the blue 'open' button and I don't have the problem anymore 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 13, 2023 Jul 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reporting on that workaround @Memduh Gokturk5CF1 - kind of disturbing, though! I'll let the devs know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2023 Jul 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kevin-Monahan,

This workaround was also reported here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/extremely-lagging-and-slow-when-typing-capti...

Several users confirmed it worked for them.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 14, 2023 Jul 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Stan Jones - I reported it to the team and they could repro. Hope for a fix soon!

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines