Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No audio when importing .mov files into PPCC

Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2016 Aug 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm almost at my wit's end.  I'm working on a project that uses .mov files.  Problem is, whenever I import them into the bin, no audio shows up (not even in the preview window).  I've tried to use media encoder to make a copy of the files into .mp3 and .wav format, but the files just come out silent.  No waveforms or anything.  Then, I tried to encode them as Quicktime, and PP won't recognize the file type.  I'm at a loss right now.  I honestly didn't have a problem with it until this last update.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Sep 02, 2016 Sep 02, 2016

I installed Filmic Pro on my iPhone and shot two clips, one with AAC audio and one with AIFF audio. Sure enough, the one with AIFF audio lost the audio upon import to Premiere Pro and even when I dragged it into Media Encoder. Seems to be a bug that's worth logging: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Could be a problem with Filmic Pro recording with AIFF audio, could be a problem somewhere else.

Moral of the story for filmmakers: Always test your workflow before shooting. (This should not be a new m

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MOV is a wrapper, what is inside YOUR wrapper - Exactly what is INSIDE the video you are editing?

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing - For Windows Internet Explorer press the PRINT SCREEN button on your keyboard, and then do CTRL-V to paste the screen print from the clipboard into a forum message

Free programs to get file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download post in tree view

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, thanks for the reply.

So, the format is MPEG-4 (AVC) with a Quicktime profile.

Audio is AAC.

Here's a screenshot:

As you can see, the audio just isn't showing up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From which camera did the footage originate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know, unfortunately. I'll try to contact them and find out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was shot on an iphone 6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 20, 2016 Aug 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was shot on an iphone 6.

homer-simpson-doh.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2016 Aug 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha, well, cameras on phones are getting better, so it's really no surprise how common it is..

And Thomas, I'll give a try, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2016 Aug 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting work around! Thanks for the response, I hope Adobe addresses the problem soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2016 Aug 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am completely new to Premier Pro CC, and I am also having the same issue.  I am importing footage from an iPhone 6S Plus and the video comes over fine, but there is no audio attached to it when it loads.  Did anyone get any resolution to this issue as of yet?  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2016 Aug 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Handbrake....change the video settings to constant frame rate not variable frame rate...there are a few youtube videos that explain this...Iphone 6s plus here....it works and its free!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2016 Aug 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Thomas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clear all media cache, rename folder the mp4 are in

and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2017 Feb 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been searching for this answer for an hour, clearing all my media cache files and creating a new project worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2017 Feb 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro does not support Iphone recordings with AIFF audio... if using FilmicPro use either of the other options PCM or AAC I think is the other one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere 2015.4,No audio when Importing one video,but,Audio is working when you put two or more video onto  timeline, this is a issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exact same problem here and Adobe don't seem to have an answer.

Google Premiere pro cc and there are hundreds of workarounds.

I expected to use and pay for a program that works and not in beta mode.

Adobe, feel free to fix this!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's another workaround that gets your iPhone movie into Premiere Pro CC. Use Adobe Premiere Clip which is a free iPhone (and also Android) app. You can do edits in Clip to make a movie out of your phone's videos, before outputting to social media, YouTube, etc. But a very handy feature is that your Clip project will sync with your Creative Cloud assets automatically. And from inside Premiere Pro, you can import your Clip project and see all your clips, layers, effects, trims, etc. preserved.

Even if you don't want to use Clip to edit your movie, you can create a Clip project, add whichever iPhone videos you want to the project, wait for it to sync with Creative Cloud, and then open up that Clip project in Premiere Pro. All your videos will appear, along with the (expected) audio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 27, 2016 Aug 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this is a interesting work around I hadn't thought about.  Thank you very much. My new problem now is that I use the FiLMiC Pro app and shoot at 4K. The only way to remove the video from your phone and not lose the quality is to connect it to my computer and remove the files using iTunes, Then the files are on my computer in a .MOV format  variable frame rate .. Which premiere Pro cannot ingest with audio synced up correctly.    The other way I'm trying now is to use as a SanDisk ixpand flash drive to transfer the files from  filmic pro to the iXpand Drive.   I suppose I could then open Adobe clip and import off iXpand drive.   Then sync it to Adobe creative cloud and import to premiere Pro CC. My question is I bet I'm losing quality and it's being compressed somewhere?  Does Adobe media encoder Have a way to change these files into another file that is constant frame rate and not variable frame rate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stefan,

What is the solution to this? Pardon the tone, but it is frustrating to pay for service that loses a vital component when updated. I am not interested in workarounds. I have a 48 hour deadline on a few projects with footage all shot from a mac or iphone. No audio came through on any of clips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 01, 2016 Sep 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi April,

You wrote, "footage all shot from a mac or iphone"; did you mean iPad or iPhone?

Since you're pressed for time, give Premiere Clip a try. It will at least get your device-shot clips into Premiere Pro (desktop) via CC sync. In the meantime, I am asking others internally what's going on with variable frame rate footage not working as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks,

Came across this thread when I too had issues with audio on .mov files. A few scenes were shot on an ipad and I imported the mov files from the ipad to my pc and then to PPCC ... and ... no audio!

I still had PP CS6 so I tried importing files into that version ... and ... no problem! Video and audio working fine and I'm now editing my heart out.

I'm no expert in formats, containers, etc. but it amazes me that the older version is OK and the latest CC creation seems to fail. We should not have to fiddle around with conversions etc. Should be simply drag em' in and work.

Is adobe addressing this? I'm sure there's lots of iPhone/iPad/iStuff being used out there.

This is what I have:

PP CS6 Version 6.0.5

PP CC Version 2015.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fred,

How did you import your iPhone videos to your Mac? I just shot a clip and imported it by connecting my iPhone 5s (iOS 9.3.5) to my MacBook Air (OS 10.10.5) and using Image Capture to import the MOV file. Then I opened Premiere Pro CC 2015.4, imported the MOV file and created a sequence from it. The clip's audio came across just fine:

screenshot_798.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stefan,

Well ... I don't know what changed but I have tried again today with the same .mov files and this time all OK in PPCC!

So all is now well in the land downunder. Appreciate the quick response though.

Just to clear up scenario.

The film was shot using an iPad. I then connected the iPad via usb to my Windows 10 PC and copied all the .mov files to a folder on my PC.

So I am on a Windows 10 64bit environment.

The PC has both versions of PP; PPCC 2015.4 and PP CS6 6.0.5

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 02, 2016 Sep 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed Filmic Pro on my iPhone and shot two clips, one with AAC audio and one with AIFF audio. Sure enough, the one with AIFF audio lost the audio upon import to Premiere Pro and even when I dragged it into Media Encoder. Seems to be a bug that's worth logging: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Could be a problem with Filmic Pro recording with AIFF audio, could be a problem somewhere else.

Moral of the story for filmmakers: Always test your workflow before shooting. (This should not be a new moral either.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines