• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No Hardware Encoding on M1 Pro

Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2021 Oct 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all, I am putting my new 14" Macbook Pro (base configuration 8-core M1 Pro) through its paces and noticed that I only have access to Software Encoding in Premiere and Media Encoder when using H.264 (Match source, high bitrate -- and I did try changing it to CBR rather than VBR per some other forum suggestions; that made no difference)

1. Is this an issue with the Apple Silicon chips that is yet to be updated? The GPU is a major draw for this computer to me and I'd love to be able to use it to encode more quickly.

2. Are there other codecs I should try? I tend to use H.264 for maximum cross-compatibility and have not dabbled with ProRes or any of the other multitude of options.

I am getting the "Your system's hardware does not support hardware acceleration for the current settings" message.

Thank you!

TOPICS
Export , Formats , Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

For me, it was hitting "Match Source"  which apparently enabled settings from my camera's source that my GPU could not support. 

Thanks,

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone who comes across this later -- it seems this issue was in my Memory settings. "Optimize rendering for:" was set to Performance, rather than Memory -- once I set it to Memory, Hardware Encoding became available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, that's really odd. I'm experiencing the same issue, but the switch to "memory" didn't fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2021 Nov 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, you know, going further with this I’ve found more exceptions. I’m not
sure exactly what is the cause anymore, but hardware encoding is working
for me now on ordinary MP4s.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As someone who came across this later, this weirdly worked (even though, as you say below, it doesn't seem to be the actual root issue). Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Hardware" versus "Software" encoding for H.264/265 or "HEVC" exports is limited by your CPU, not your GPU.

It is only about whether your CPU has the extra hardware bits specifically used for 'hardware' long-GOP encoding. It has nothing whatever to do with your GPU or GPU accelerated effects within Premiere.

And the controls for long-GOP "Hardware" versus "Software" encoding are found in the Preferences dialog, and also in the Export dialog if you have chosen a long-GOP preset for H.264/265 HEVC.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, it was hitting "Match Source"  which apparently enabled settings from my camera's source that my GPU could not support. 

Thanks,

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, it was unchecking "Export Audio" that causes Hardware acceleration to grey out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue. But I don't see "Optimize rendering for" in Memory settings (ver 22.3.0). The only customizable adjustment is the amount of memory allocated for non-Adobe CS apps. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also found that CBR encoding does not work for Hardware Encoding for h.264 or h.265. It has to be VBR it seems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2022 Oct 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having this issue. I just got myself a new Macbook M1 Max and have the same problem.
I cannot render with Hardware Encoding if I choose CBR. It only works when I switch to VBR 1 PASS. Switching to H.264 or H.265 doesn't help either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't recall any app that has 2-pass hardware encoding. As the hardware bits that do long-GOP encoding don't have that capability. They can do it fast, but not always better.

The CPU can do the two-pass thing. First pass goes through the entire export to figure out what it will do for encoding in the second pass.

And out of curiosity, why do you need CBR?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Neil, thanks for your reply.

I myself have always been used to exporting in CBR because in my opinion it gave good results and I always found this to be said online as well.

I just don't really understand why an "M1 MAX" can't export CBR in Hardware Encoding and my 2019 Dell XPS can, obviously thanks to the nvidea graphics card I guess?

Furthermore, I certainly don't see any problem to export in VBR 1 pass (Hardware encoding). But unfortunately I don't see any option to use VBR 2 pass either. I can only select CBR or VBR 1 pass.

Cheers
Jonas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CBR uses the same bitrate for every frame. But frames with lower levels of details and motion and such actually do not need the same bitrate for a good image as frames with a ton of fine detail. But using CBR, the computer has to create and then process as many bits for low-detail frames as for high-detail frames.

Using VBR means that when there's a use for high bitrate, you get it. When there isn't, you don't get it ... because you don't need it. And yes, this has been shown many, many times in 'live' testing and presentations.

@RjL190365 is probably the best one to respond on the fine details of encoding per CPU/GPU combination.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Neil,

Thank you so much for your information and help. But after having this new Macbook M1 Max for about a week I am experiencing more and more issues when working with Premiere Pro (2023) 23.0. Not only with slow renders but also when editing. Mostly Sony A7IV footage (XAVC S or S-I)

I've looked up so much on the internet about this, but can't find any solution as to why my new macbook runs premiere pro so slow. I'm starting to think there is something wrong with this model. 😞

I tried using Resolve and it runs pretty smoothly. But i'm so used to Premiere.

Cheers
Jonas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a Mac expert ... maybe @Warren Heaton or @Kevin-Monahan  could help ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jonas,

I have the same issue with hardware encoding and CBR. On macOS, it doesn't seem to be supported on Intel or Apple Silicon, while it is on my Lenovo PC laptop. Sorry about that.

I do not see a bug filed for CBR specifically, but you can make one here: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) Apple M1 Max

• H264 CBR is Software Encoding
  • H264 VBR 1-Pass is Hardware Encoding
  • H264 VBR 2-Pass is is Software Encoding
  • H265 CBR is Software Encoding
  • H265 VBR 1-Pass is Hardware Encoding

iMac Pro (2017) 3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W

• H264 VBR 1-Pass is Hardware Encoding
  • H265 CBR is Software Encoding

HP Omen 15-dh1xx Laptop Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz

• H264 VBR 1-Pass is Software Encoding
  • H265 CBR is Hardware Encoding

DaVinci Resolve 18 makes it difficult to tell if "hardware acceleration" is being used for H264 and H265 exports as the Export Option simply reads "Use hardware acceleration if available".

For Premiere Pro or DaVinci Resolve, I would transcode Sony A7IV footage (XAVC S or S-I) to ProRes 422 HQ or ProRes 422 LT.  XAVC is a great CODEC for in camera acquisition of picture, but it's not a great CODEC for editing.  Sony makes Sony Catalyst Prepare available for transcoding to ProRes, but it's easier to do it via Premiere Pro's Ingest project settings.

Jonas, I highly recommend that you take one of your current Sequences that uses Sony A7IV camera original footage and make a duplicate Sequence with "_ProRes" added to the duplicate Sequence name.  Select all of the Clips, right-click and use Render and Replace transcode Individual Clips to ProRes 422 LT.  60 minutes of source footage should take about three minutes to transcode and require about 42GB of storage space.  When that is finished, change the duplicate Sequence settings to Custom QuickTime Apple ProRes 422 LT.  You'll be prompted to delete Render Files (click OK).  Close the Sequence Timeline and re-open it.  You'll notice that the Yellow Preview Render line appears much less frequently if at all.  Re-render if needed.  You'll notice that that is much, much faster being ProRes to ProRes. Export both the Sequence that uses Sony camera original footage and the duplicate that uses ProRes to the "Match sequence preview settings" Preset.  Take not of the export times.  Export both Sequences to MP4 and also take note of the export times.  Also keep in mind that ProRes can be uploaded to FrameIO, Vimeo and YouTube.  If you try Resolve, it defaults to ProRes HQ for the "Optimized" setting under macOS, but it can be set to ProRes LT or DNx.  Premiere Pro supports more choices for "Smart" editing, but you're on a computer with encoding engines for ProRes so use ProRes unless something about your workflow were to require DNx.  If you were to ever switch to Avid Media Composer, your Sony footage would be transcoded to DNx when ingested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

H265 VBR 2-Pass should be availble as of macOS 13 Ventura; however, I don't have info on whether it will be Software or Hardware.  Nevertheless, I'd wait on updatintg to macOS 13 Ventura until at least 13.4 to 13.6 rather than adopt it early.  macOS 11.6 to 12.6 seem pretty stable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey Warren,
I can't thank you enough! I've heard a lot about ProRes running very smootly on Apple Silicon chips.
I will definitly give this a go! Thanks for all the info.

Cheers
Jonas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines