Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Playback Issues on Premiere Pro CC 2015

New Here ,
Jun 24, 2015 Jun 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am currently having major playback issues on Premiere Pro, as in it's not playing back at all. This was working perfectly on the previous version.

I have tried re-installing it, and I have done the Mercury Playback Setting change that I found else where in the forums but I am still having issues, can any one shed a light on this please?

Thanks,

Lewis.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 07, 2015 Jul 07, 2015

Hello VGA Grayster,

I am currently having major playback issues on Premiere Pro, as in it's not playing back at all. This was working perfectly on the previous version.

EDIT: Please install the Premiere Pro CC 2015 (9.0.1) update. It fixes most playback issues covered in this thread.

If the update does not solve the playback issue you were having on a current project, try a new project and see if playback returns to normal. For any other issues with the update, please create a new pos

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 263 Replies 263
Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2015 Jul 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further update:

Playback functionality returns after playing back the source files in Quicktime…… but now i’m getting noise patterns rendered on screen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Playback functionality returns after playing back the source files in Quicktime…… but now i’m getting noise patterns rendered on screen

Hi Brian,

What camera did the source files come from?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 08, 2015 Jul 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also got the noise-problem, looking like broken video-files, with RGB patterns on both source monitor and program monitor.  A few minutes after this occured, after having restarted Premiere (just the program) a couple of times, trying to get it working again, my Mac turned itself off.

This is the first time ever, since I installed OS-X some years ago, that an app made the system go totally down, so the bugs in Premiere must be quite severe.

After using PP2015 some days no (we are a big team), we've learned that the only way to get it play at all, is doing a full clean install of Yosemite (with reformatting system HD), and then a clean install of PP2015. Any attempt to update, Premiere or OS, makes system crash or Premiere not play.

Although working, Premiere is not as fast as in 2014 at playback, and it has to be restarted quite often (manually, or by crash). The playback errors we have experienced, randomly and with no pattern, on the clean installed system, is:
1: Just dont start playback, nothing happens when pushing play

2: Black monitors, but sound playing (both source and program)

3: RGB noise on monitors, causing the whole OS to go down (happened only once)

We work on 2014-macintoshes, iMacs and MacBooks. It seems like there is no relation with the bugs on playback, and using CUDA or software rendering, and the bugs seems identical on iMacs and MacBooks.

We think though, that there might be bigger problems with files with high compression. We use a lot of cameras in our production, and what plays best is actually RED and C300 files!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Photorolf,

I also got the noise-problem, looking like broken video-files, with RGB patterns on both source monitor and program monitor.  A few minutes after this occured, after having restarted Premiere (just the program) a couple of times, trying to get it working again, my Mac turned itself off.

This is the first time ever, since I installed OS-X some years ago, that an app made the system go totally down, so the bugs in Premiere must be quite severe.

Were you playing a sequence back with lots of GPU accelerated effects with CUDA enabled?

If so, that's been a recurring issue since OS X 10.9. NVIDIA has not released a driver as of yet that's been able to fix this long standing issue. The workaround is to switch all NVIDIA CUDA cards to OpenCL GPU acceleration for the Mercury Playback Engine. There is an extensive forum post about this where NVIDIA has commented that they are still investigating a fix.

I also wrote up a KB doc here: Screen redraw errors and crashing with NVIDIA GPUs on Mac OS X 10.10 (or later)

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated project from 2014.

Multi cam sequencing.

I I was almost done with all the footage and was ready to send it to AE. I have no intention of rebuilding the project. If I have to do that, I will go to FCP. Kevin, I know you are not at fault for this issue, and you are taking a lot of flack. But, the issue remains, a lot of people pay for this software/service, and are on deadlines. While I apologize if I come across as being upset at you, I do not apologize for my frustration with the software and company.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated project from 2014.

Multi cam sequencing.

I I was almost done with all the footage and was ready to send it to AE. I have no intention of rebuilding the project.

I'm sorry that happened. Updating a project should not be such a problematic occurrence. However, editors should really avoid updating a project midway through it, as I describe in my blog post. Bad things can (and do) happen.

It's rather a rule of thumb that project corruption can occur (no matter the NLE) when moving from one major version to the next.  Unfortunately (this advice coming more from me as an editor/trainer than an Adobe employee).

Kevin, I know you are not at fault for this issue, and you are taking a lot of flack.

What would be better would be to save that energy for a bug report, where our product manager, lead engineers, and designers will read your complaint. They can actually do something about your bug, while I can only advocate for issues on your behalf.

But, the issue remains, a lot of people pay for this software/service, and are on deadlines. While I apologize if I come across as being upset at you, I do not apologize for my frustration with the software and company.

It's OK. Just know that my power is limited to support issues. If you have issues with support, I can certainly help you there.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin-Monahan wrote:

What would be better would be to save that energy for a bug report, where our product manager, lead engineers, and designers will read your complaint.

Sorry for the derail here, Kevin.  But if you could put a word in with the powers that be... I don't file bug reports because your stupid web site makes me fill in all the same info every time I go there.  It just takes too much of my time.  Seems to me a huge software company that makes web site building software could institute a Customer Profile that would make it easier to file bug reports. 

The Ae team used to (maybe still does have a direct email, aebugs@adobe.com, which made it even easier on your customers.  I've had the recipients follow up with questions, which is something that I've never experienced after submitting a bug report or feature request from the "official" web page.

And that's the name of the game in business:  Make things easier on your customers.  Don't make us jump hoops to get your attention.  Act like you love us; not like we're an inconvenience.

And before you ask, I've already put in a feature request for this... before I gave up.

Likewise, having a Customer Profile here on your forums, something you could list by the poster's name, with each users hardware configuration would eliminate the need for you and other helpful people to drag that out of posters who aren't accustomed to proper forum etiquette and procedures.

All this said, I thank you for your presence here, and your interest and helpfulness. 

OK, back to the thread about playback in Premiere. 

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

Sorry for the derail here, Kevin.  But if you could put a word in with the powers that be... I don't file bug reports because your stupid web site makes me fill in all the same info every time I go there.

It's OK. I agree and I have advocated for users like you to improve this terrible experience. It's also the CAPTCHA that prevents feedback. We have a new bug report form going live very soon. I will make sure your suggestions are passed along. PM me for any more q's. Now back on topic.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue came when, after installing pp2015, the instance of PP2014 was deleted by the install.

I ended up going to FCPX to get the projects done. I (and my clients) cannot wait for a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I have first posted I have tried all of the suggestions on this forum with only slight improvement. The biggest help came from turning off the scopes, however the memory will still eventually leak until at 95% and everything including playback comes to a screeching halt..in fact if I am paying something back when this starts the video playback stops but the audio will not stop playing and I have no control over the program. Problem same on new projects or converted 2014 projects. Media is C100 mkii mp4, GH4 both 4k and 1080, Canon 5D mkIII

2014 still runs perfectly.

Windows 7 Ultimate

Intel Core i7-2600K

64GB Ram

Nvidia GeForce GTX780

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi DMart Films,

Sorry for this frustration. I do thank you for the info you provided, though. I do see one thing that may hold the key for your case.

Windows 7 Ultimate

Intel Core i7-2600K

64GB Ram

Nvidia GeForce GTX780

Windows, OK. Thanks for the system info. Most helpful!

however the memory will still eventually leak until at 95% and everything including playback comes to a screeching halt..in fact if I am paying something back when this starts the video playback stops but the audio will not stop playing and I have no control over the program. Problem same on new projects or converted 2014 projects. Media is C100 mkii mp4, GH4 both 4k and 1080, Canon 5D mkIII

2014 still runs perfectly.

I suspect that GH4 footage may be at the heart of your continuing memory leak. We have no bug written about this, it's only an observation I made of one of our prerelease testers who commented not once but twice that GH4 footage seemed to cause a memory leak. I believe it was the 4K footage.

If you would not mind, please do a test without the GH4 footage and see if you can work without the memory leaking. It would be very helpful to verify this behavior so I can submit a bug for our update.

Much appreciated,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin...I will try a test tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have been suffering this along with others.

What I have found on numerous occasions when exporting to AME - AME either doesn't respond or nothing shows up to be compressed.

Additionally - there are occasions when PP has hung or crashed and it gets part way through re-opening and freezes.

Then there are the times when PLAYBACK won't start by clicking a play button or tapping the spacebar.

What I have noticed rectifies (immediately) all the above problems is Ctrl + Alt + Delete>task manager> and end the process "Adobe QT32 Server.exe".

If I have a sequence refusing to playback after hitting the spacebar and I end the "Adobe QT32 Server.exe" process - playback will have commenced before I get to change back to the PP window.

If I send a sequence to AME and nothing happens, I close AME, open task manager - end the offending process and return to PP and send it to AME and it arrives and starts as usual.

My current issues are with AME refusing to compress - certain file types - it just reaches a certain point and stops...

Noticed this morning that when firing up AME - "Adobe QT32 Server.exe" now fires up two instances instead of one.

Hope this may help others

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am finding that when my playback won't play - I open task manager and turn off or end the process "Adobe QT32 Server.exe" and playback will have already started before I get back to the PP window.

It may help others..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌I too am noticing an issue with the Adobe QT32 Server when the playback issues occur.

Running OSX 10.9.4 on a 2013 iMac. If i have the activity monitor open, Adobe QT32 Server turns red (process not responding). I have not experimented with quitting this process to see if doing so will let playback resume once again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been dealing with this in 3 rooms since I got back from vacation yesterday. Regarding the QT32 Server, I fixed this by going to Library/Quicktime and removing all my avid and blackmagic components.

If you disable MT, everything seems to play back fine. If it is on, I get random performance when toggling GPU/CPU acceleration.

I'd go back to 2014, but my 3 guys are using multicam and it causes cpu to hit 100% and lockup/crash premiere.

I slapped together a test machine and tested 2015 and no crashes but choppy playback.

WTF, I am pissed.

Using 10.10.3 and 10.9.5 on newer imacs and D300 trash can.

Don't worry though guys.....only 24 days left in July......it's not that long to wait for an update.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Audioart,

Have a look at this KB doc, it may help: Adobe Premiere Pro Help | Adobe QT32 Server shows as not responding in Activity Monitor

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quitting Adobe QT32 Server does not help my playback return

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear that...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scuba Badger,

I am finding that when my playback won't play - I open task manager and turn off or end the process "Adobe QT32 Server.exe" and playback will have already started before I get back to the PP window.

It may help others..

There is a KB doc about this. Please have a look here: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/apple-qt32-server-not-responding.html

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin

I am basically resolved. I have re-installed PP 2014. Opened a backup copy of what I had made (albeit a load of stuff is missing because I continued to slog against the mill with PP 2015). I then exported an FCP xml, and imported that into my old PP 2014 project and it's pulled the basic layout back.

I am currently working through re-creating all the graphics and overlays which didn't translate - but I got a rendered copy I am playing back in a window and re-creating what I see there. I have even rendered out the first 2 minutes without issue so good old AME 2014 is also playing ball sweetly.

I'll now back away gracefully and maybe look at PP 2015 in a year when both it - and I have calmed down...

Thanks for all your support and ongoing help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scuba Badger,

I am basically resolved. Thanks for all your support and ongoing help.

Great. Thanks for reporting back.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 10, 2015 Jul 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, for me personally, the issue of playback seems to have been resolved.

For me it started with one particular multicam sequence. Whenever i was interacting with this sequence playback would randomly stop and wouldn’t recover until a full reboot.

I came across this article about rendering audio in sub-sequences:

https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/3/936196 <https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/3/936196>

Once I rendered the audio in all the child sequences, my issue was resolved. In addition to rendering the audio, i also made sure all the children of the multicam sequence, the multicam sequence itself and the master timeline were all using the same codec, audio frequency and number of audio channels.

Fingers crossed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right now, I have a black program monitor, no video on playback. But, the sound plays.

Checked the memory usage in activity monitor, and it shows only 50% of my 32 GB ram used. Tried to quit the QT32 server, but no effect on playback.  Source monitor is also black, but plays sound.

iMac Intel Core i7

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096MB

Yosemite 10.10.3

Clean install of OS and Adobe

Anything else you need to know, Adobe, to fix this bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we are crossing lines on the term "playback".

Myself and some others were seeing "Premiere Pro" just sit there with nothing moving / happening irrespective of mouse click or spacebar tap - which I termed "no playback".

Your version of "no playback" appears to be a live running sequence and the timeline moving but no video visible (no playback) - leaving you with sound audible.

My apologies for the confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines