Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Playback Issues on Premiere Pro CC 2015

New Here ,
Jun 24, 2015 Jun 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am currently having major playback issues on Premiere Pro, as in it's not playing back at all. This was working perfectly on the previous version.

I have tried re-installing it, and I have done the Mercury Playback Setting change that I found else where in the forums but I am still having issues, can any one shed a light on this please?

Thanks,

Lewis.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 07, 2015 Jul 07, 2015

Hello VGA Grayster,

I am currently having major playback issues on Premiere Pro, as in it's not playing back at all. This was working perfectly on the previous version.

EDIT: Please install the Premiere Pro CC 2015 (9.0.1) update. It fixes most playback issues covered in this thread.

If the update does not solve the playback issue you were having on a current project, try a new project and see if playback returns to normal. For any other issues with the update, please create a new pos

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 263 Replies 263
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 22, 2015 Jul 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Melf,

The funny thing about this advice from Adobe is that its not really applicable to these bugs. They're happening in brand new 2015 projects as well. In fact I opened up a 2014 project to try out the new grading tools and had no problems with that project. Yet when I began a new project in 2015 I had bugs everywhere!

You are correct in this regard, and thanks for your feedback. This version of Premiere Pro does have problems for some of our users, even with new projects. According to engineering, there should be few, if any, problems with updating. Please file bugs here: http://adobe.ly/ReportBug We do have an update coming very shortly which should address your issues.

My advice to avoid updating projects to major new versions comes to you as an editor and is a long time "rule of thumb," not necessarily as "advice from Adobe." Sorry for the confusion. I will be more careful with how I give advice going forward.

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin-Monahan wrote:

It's a good idea. Again, I recommend all users complete CC 2014 projects until they are complete. Do not update projects to CC 2015. Again, it is not good editing protocol to ever update project files until they are complete.

This is such a ridiculous expectation. I have jobs and clients from 3 or more years ago that want to update and re-edit existing commercials and docs. Am I supposed to wait until they die before I upgrade?

Maybe it's your expectation that is ridiculous.  Most people with "3 or more years" experience should know not to jump into an x.0 release of an NLE and expect it to work perfectly.  Keep your shirt on and take the first part of Kevin's advice.  Pr CC 2014 is working very well for most users.

What he wrote that isn't realistic is that you should finish all projects on the same version on which they were started.  Some older projects are going to need updating from time to time.  But, history shows that it's going to take a few revs to get the kinks in new versions worked out, and we should expect to be able to work on older projects without issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim Curtis wrote:

Kevin-Monahan wrote:

It's a good idea. Again, I recommend all users complete CC 2014 projects until they are complete. Do not update projects to CC 2015. Again, it is not good editing protocol to ever update project files until they are complete.

This is such a ridiculous expectation. I have jobs and clients from 3 or more years ago that want to update and re-edit existing commercials and docs. Am I supposed to wait until they die before I upgrade?

Maybe it's your expectation that is ridiculous.  Most people with "3 or more years" experience should know not to jump into an x.0 release of an NLE and expect it to work perfectly.  Keep your shirt on and take the first part of Kevin's advice.  Pr CC 2014 is working very well for most users.

What he wrote that isn't realistic is that you should finish all projects on the same version on which they were started.  Some older projects are going to need updating from time to time.  But, history shows that it's going to take a few revs to get the kinks in new versions worked out, and we should expect to be able to work on older projects without issues.

Well I have 28 years of experience, and projects get updated ALL THE TIME. Real life in a post house isn't so neat and tidy that you can say...ok all my jobs are done now...it's a perfect time to upgrade. It doesn't work that way.

Pr 2015 is unusable. That's how this project came to me. I can't open in on 2014, so your advice/comment doesn't mean jack.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pr 2015 is unusable. That's how this project came to me. I can't open in on 2014, so your advice/comment doesn't mean jack.

Sorry for the playback issues. Have you tried all the workarounds I recommended earlier? If you are still having trouble, we have an update coming soon. If you need personal assistance, please PM me.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jon9091 wrote:

Well I have 28 years of experience, and projects get updated ALL THE TIME. Real life in a post house isn't so neat and tidy that you can say...ok all my jobs are done now...it's a perfect time to upgrade. It doesn't work that way.

Not that this is a contest, but I have 37 years of post experience.  I started on Avid as soon as it became available, and used FCP for years, too.  In that time, I haven't seen a single x.0.0 NLE version that didn't have problems.  Sorry, but I inferred your comment and similar gripes as those of beginners with little real world experience.

You can export your CC 2015 projects as XML, and finish them up in CC 2014.  You may have to rework some effects and your audio mix, but your cuts and layers should translate fine. 

I don't know how your post house bills projects, but the one I own charges by the hour, and doing a translation would be charged to my clients.  Look at reverting versions as a revenue opportunity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim Curtis wrote:

jon9091 wrote:

Not that this is a contest, but I have 37 years of post experience.  I started on Avid as soon as it became available, and used FCP for years, too.  In that time, I haven't seen a single x.0.0 NLE version that didn't have problems.  Sorry, but I inferred your comment and similar gripes as those of beginners with little real world experience.

You can export your CC 2015 projects as XML, and finish them up in CC 2014.  You may have to rework some effects and your audio mix, but your cuts and layers should translate fine.

I don't know how your post house bills projects, but the one I own charges by the hour, and doing a translation would be charged to my clients.  Look at reverting versions as a revenue opportunity.

Revenue opportunity? That's ridiculous. This project is moving between multiple editors and we certainly can't be trying to bounce back and forth between versions....and we definitely can't bill for DOWN TIME.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We can't bill for DOWN TIME.

I'm very sorry for the trouble you're experiencing.  If there's anything specific I can help you with, please send me a PM. I can also have you work with our agents to see if we can help you with your current project.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Revenue opportunity? That's ridiculous. This project is moving between multiple editors and we certainly can't be trying to bounce back and forth between versions....and we definitely can't bill for DOWN TIME.

Please. Let's get back on topic and try to help out those having specific trouble with playback. If you would like to discuss other topics, feel free to create a new post.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jon9091 wrote:

We can't bill for DOWN TIME.

Right.  I don't bill for downtime either.  I charge for working equipment and working software, which is why I don't tread into unproven versions on my client's time.  According to you, your client made the decision to start their project in CC 2015, and that was their mistake.  It's not unfair to expect them to pay for their mistakes and for you to fix them. 

I'm having the same problems, and I just don't fire up CC 2015 for paying work - only to get familiar with the new features on my own time.  I trust that Adobe will figure this out.  They have acknowledged the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

I remind you that my advice is coming to you as an editor, not necessarily as an Adobe employee. Just so that is clear.

This is only my advice as an editor:

• If older projects need updating, and you didn't have access to that older version, merely reinstall it from Creative Cloud. I don't see this as a huge deal unless you are in a great hurry.
  • Updating simpler projects to new versions is less risky than complicated ones.

On the other hand, "Adobe" feels you should be able to update older projects without issues. Issues brought about by merely updating a project file should have my attention. If you have problems after updating a project, please PM me and I can get the engineering team a copy of that project file so we can fix that issue.

I hope this clears up any confusion.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jon,

We are going way off topic here, but I will reply.

This is such a ridiculous expectation.

I will disagree, but that's OK. You can do whatever you wish.

First of all, I give this advice as an editor and not as "advice from Adobe." Sorry for the confusion.

Avoiding updating your project file to major new versions while a project is in progress is a long-time rule of thumb. Sorry if you've never heard that before. It's not the official "line" from Adobe. It's "up to you" as to whether you wish to follow it or not. I hope that clears up any confusion.

Adobe feels you should be able to update project files without issue.

I have jobs and clients from 3 or more years ago that want to update and re-edit existing commercials and docs. Am I supposed to wait until they die before I upgrade?

My advice as an editor:
You can have multiple installations of Premiere Pro available to you, and you can also reinstall most previous versions of Premiere Pro if you don't have a particular version installed. This is only a recommendation.

Again, Adobe feels you should be able to update project files without issue.

We have an update coming out shortly. Sorry for any trouble this is causing you.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2015 Oct 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry but this issue has not been solved regardless if the post says so. I know Premiere CC 2015 users working with R3D files who can barely go 15 minutes without a crash including myself. I've tried every suggestion offered on several threads and nothing works. After 15-20 edits the playback lags and allows about 5 more edits before completely freezing up, wherein I have to force restart the program.

FIGURE IT OUT ADOBE THIS IS A JOKE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Oct 09, 2015 Oct 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering if anybody has seen an article about a Pr user who isn't a shill for Adobe marveling about how Pr CC 2015 is being used successfully in their productions.  I normally see several of these following most releases.  I know people come here to gripe and get help, and if they're having success, they have no need to come here and brag about it.  But, I do wonder if the problems we're seeing here are rare, possibly configuration challenges, and if 99% of all Pr CC 2015 users are happy as clams.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 20, 2015 Oct 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Kellerbrash,

I'm sorry but this issue has not been solved regardless if the post says so.

Which issue?

OP: "I am currently having major playback issues on Premiere Pro, as in it's not playing back at all."

You mentioned crashing. Are you also having trouble with no playback? If your issue is not with playback performance, please create a new post with specifics or work with support here.

I know Premiere CC 2015 users working with R3D files who can barely go 15 minutes without a crash including myself. I've tried every suggestion offered on several threads and nothing works.

So, you're issue is crashing on playback with R3D files? If so, please create your own post with plenty of details or work with support, as I earlier suggested.

After 15-20 edits the playback lags and allows about 5 more edits before completely freezing up, wherein I have to force restart the program.

Sounds like a memory leak or project corruption. Again, I'd work with support on this one.

FIGURE IT OUT ADOBE THIS IS A JOKE.

"Adobe" cannot hear you. This is primarily a user to user forum. For help, you need to contact support. If you wish to complain about quality issues, file a bug report here and give us all the gory details.

Sorry for your issues. Let's see if we can help you with them.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2015 Jul 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue and has been happening for the last 2+ weeks. Huge memory leaks (especially with the color correction panel open), constant freezing, no playback, choppy playback, missing frames, and complete shutdown. This is unacceptable. Missed 2 client deadlines and had to completely uninstall my OS and reinstall just to find that the problem still manifested after reinstalling CC15. Adobe needs to issue some kind of statement to its clients that its software isn't working and not to download it. CC14 also needs to be made available again for users to download (for all programs, After Effects is a nightmare!). 

System info -

Windows 8.1 64-bit

Intel Core i7-5960x @ 4.4Ghz

64GB DDR4 2400

6GB Nvidia 980Ti SC+

512GB PCI-E SSD

24TB Raid 5 Internal

Drew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lewis,

I have tried re-installing it, and I have done the Mercury Playback Setting change that I found else where in the forums but I am still having issues, can any one shed a light on this please?

You have not returned to the thread to give us any info. We don't even know if you are on Mac or PC. Please let us know if you have solved your issue or not. If you are still facing this issue, give us more info so we can help you.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a solution / workaround.

Choose Preferences>Playback

Uncheck Enable Mercury Transmit

This works for me.

Keep an eye out for an update though, because you will get better performance with MP when its working correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colin,

Here is a solution / workaround.

Choose Preferences>Playback

Uncheck Enable Mercury Transmit

This works for me.

Keep an eye out for an update though, because you will get better performance with MP when its working correctly.

Thanks for your feedback. Are you on Mac or PC? Which GPU? Any other relevant details?

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried this on Windows (File>Project Settings>General) and turned off CUDA. It does seem to work a bit better, however 4k playback is ridiculously slow. 1080 works fine. Perhaps all of these issues are GPU related?

D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi D,

Preferences is usually a Mac reference.

Thanks. I'm trying to untangle this thread because it is getting so messy with customers saying, "ME TOO," without providing info, then never return after I ask for more info. I appreciate you providing the info that you did. Let's see if we can get to the bottom of this issue.

We've got Mac and PC folks on this thread. It's possible that both platforms are experiencing "playback issues" but we need to be exactly aware of what people mean by that.

I just tried this on Windows (File>Project Settings>General) and turned off CUDA. It does seem to work a bit better

Thanks for that, and for your system info: Windows 8.1 64-bit Intel Core i7-5960x @ 4.4Ghz 64GB DDR4 2400 6GB Nvidia 980Ti SC+ 512GB PCI-E SSD 24TB Raid 5 Internal

As I understand it, you are saying that with the Mercury Playback Engine Software Only, you are having better performance.

Colin had better performance switching off Mercury Transmit in Preferences > Playback. Which is different.

Can you try switching off Mercury Transmit, as well, and see if performance improves?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin - first let me say that we appreciate your help. This thread is definitely all over the place.

I turned off Mercury Transmit but the memory keeps climbing as usual (on Windows) to upwards of 55GB used after 30-40 seconds of playback. The only significant performance help (at least with mitigating system resources) is turning off CUDA (for me) but it's only good for 1080p footage.

As for the 4k footage, no it's all ProRes422HQ (7Q+) and MPEG (Phantom 3).

Drew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

however 4k playback is ridiculously slow. 1080 works fine. Perhaps all of these issues are GPU related?

Drew,

Is your 4K from the GH4 Camera by any chance?

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Macpro  (trashcan) Running Yosemite

With Dual AMD FirePro D300 2048 MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Macpro  (trashcan) Running Yosemite

With Dual AMD FirePro D300 2048 MB

Cool, thanks for the verification. Difficult to keep things straight on this thread. Thanks for your feedback on Transmit too.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2015 Dec 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope what I am writing will help some or all of you.

My setup is a DELL T7600 Dual Xeon with 64GB RAM, Quadro 5000, Tesla C2075.

I was using a GTX680 and decided to switch back to the original Quadro. After removing the GTX680 drivers and reinstalling (clean install) Quadro drivers, I could not use the timeline play feature.

I could scrub, but not play. I tried every Quadro on the NVidia site and the original DELL drivers. Nothing worked. While I did this, I checked to see if I could play 1080 video in a regular player and some drivers would not allow that. I decided to remove the Quadro drivers and switch back to the GTX680 drivers, not the card, just the drivers, and also removed the Tesla card. It's working again, which tells me this is a driver issue of some sort. In a minute or so, I will reinstall the tesla card and see the effect, but at least I know what does actually work.

If you cannot play the timeline, see if a regular player stutters. If not, try looking for newer drivers (or maybe older) drivers for your video card.

Good Luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines