• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere 2015 - All video playback is now choppy. Why?

Participant ,
Jun 16, 2015 Jun 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After installing the new update (2015), I can no longer preview and video (of any format) without it being extremely choppy and unusable.

Anyone else run into this problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jul 28, 2015 Jul 28, 2015

After few hours of connection with Adobe Live Chat , operator "Abhinav" figured out the solution. He deleted all the prefences and settings of my Premiere via renaming the Adobe file in the documents like "Adobe.old". After the removal , he opened the Premiere CC and the magic! It's working great now. Thanks Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 194 Replies 194
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2015 Jun 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It took me a while to figure out how to load 2014 as well.

When you open the Creative Cloud Client, I went down to previous versions and next to Premiere Pro, it says "Install." When you click on that, options will pop up for previous versions. One of those is CC 2014.

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey rickg1949‌

Try this: http://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cc-2014-direct-download-links.html

If you can't gain access to the file itself, make sure to enter the link saying: "Click «HERE» to visit this page first, before clicking any of the links in the table below – this is critical!"

You will be able to find it under "Note: Very Important Instructions"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've gone back to 2014.

I did notice that in Audio Hardware under 2015 my "Premeire Pro WDM Sound" is not an available option. When I went back to 2014 it IS an option.

Staying with 2014 until it is fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kent, did you leave 2014 version installed when you did upgrade?  I had mine remove old version (like a fool).  WDM audio things sounds like my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it fixed!!  Reinstalled 2015, checked preferences for audio playback/input and master clock.  Switched them back and forth, got it to my device and now we're back in business!

Matrox output to monitor works.  Just don't have Matrox sequence presets any more but can wait until they catch up.  Everything going to Web for next few weeks.

So, if you have this problem, tinker with audio clock settings, they just may not migrate from 2014 preferences as they should.

back to work now!

rg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great that you've got your audio working again RG, but wasn't this a thread about choppy video playback?

Just saying...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think he meant that playing with audio settings fixed his choppy playback problem. Which could be the case, system audio drivers have given me choppy playback issues in the past. Just saying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Ben, I'm pleased you clarified that and entered the discussion or else I would have thought this thread had been hijacked. Just saying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌same same same - chippy video choppy audio audio clutching noise just sounds snf looks uber unprofessional and is there any way I can switch off the message IO overload (and variations of that) that comes up bottom right? Believe you me when can see and here whem there are issues I don't need some random message keep popping up so nyc client get make their own interpretations.  I don't want a message to tell me what I already see and and hear.  Super embarrassing with a client here.  Actually having to export just to preview as even when rendered and green line still not playing correctly.  Was all good in CC2014.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try setting your buffer to the highest value.  That can reduce or eliminate audio choppiness in all digital audio apps.  Low values are recommended only when recording in sync with other tracks (such as in a DAW when overdubbing parts to other pre-recorded tracks), as that reduces the latency that could result in the overdubbings being out of sync. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem similar. It now tends to hang and shows a double screen on Program view for a minute or so. Then starts playing the preview or does not show anything.

In this situation, Premiere CC 2015 is unusable. Back to 2014 and everything works like before.

Medion Erazer i7-4770K 16GB DDR3 SSD+2 RAID + NVIDIA GeFORCE GTX 680

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just figured out a fix for this!

On your timeline, click the wrench icon, and deselect "composite preview on trim "

After doing that, my stutters went away, and no more freezing on the preview window! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that some kind of new feature? What is it suppose to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have absolutely no idea what it does! But it definitely works. I found it posted on another forum and instantly those issues went away for me. It's still not as smooth as 2014, and the audio pops and dropouts are a major issue, but this at least fixes that issue for the time being.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unchecking didn't do a thing for me. Same stutter. Unusable.

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 3:08 PM, Danielassault <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 19, 2015 Jun 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Daniel,

Is that some kind of new feature? What is it suppose to do?

Gives you a 2 up display when trimming with the Selection tool.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 26, 2015 Jun 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue.  Any kind of playback in the source monitor is beset with issues:

Scrubbing through the clip, video doesn't move with the playhead, but catches up with it about 30 seconds after I stop scrubbing.

Playback of video is choppy, audio out of sync, dropped frames reported.  Again if you leave it long enough it eventually plays fine, but that's of no use whatsoever. it just takes too long to perform simple tasks.  It doesn't matter what playback resolution you pick, all of them are affected.  Strangely, if you move a clip to the timeline, it plays/scrubs fine, only the source monitor for me is affected, but that's where I do the most of my editing.

Have tried the forum responses of clearing cache etc. and even tried a test project, still the same issues.

I've had no issues whatsoever with PP2014, so guess I'm another dissatisfied customer that's reverting back to the previous release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SteveD333 a écrit:

Same issue.  Any kind of playback in the source monitor is beset with issues:

Scrubbing through the clip, video doesn't move with the playhead, but catches up with it about 30 seconds after I stop scrubbing.

Playback of video is choppy, audio out of sync, dropped frames reported.  Again if you leave it long enough it eventually plays fine, but that's of no use whatsoever. it just takes too long to perform simple tasks.  It doesn't matter what playback resolution you pick, all of them are affected.  Strangely, if you move a clip to the timeline, it plays/scrubs fine, only the source monitor for me is affected, but that's where I do the most of my editing.

Have tried the forum responses of clearing cache etc. and even tried a test project, still the same issues.

I've had no issues whatsoever with PP2014, so guess I'm another dissatisfied customer that's reverting back to the previous release.

Even within a new project right ?

(i'm pretty sure that kind of things isn't due to migrating a project).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, even in a new project.  I also cleared out all cache, old projects, basically everything to do with the previous installation - just to be sure.  I did find a partial solution, see my other post PP2015 - Partial fix/workaround to choppy playback and audio/video sync issues in source monitor

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2015 Jun 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@SteveD333 I just went to read your solution and I'm afraid to say that that is not even an answer. The problem for audio out-of-sync error is related to WDM driver and a new implementation Premiere Pro CC 2015 is doing regarding Adobe Audition audio processing. This require further investigation and a patch is under development but no date of release is being offered from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2015 Jun 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried everything clearing cash, deleting files, uninstalling app. installing again. The only thing I didn't do is a drive format and a clean OS install. (which is not going to happen anytime soon)

It is sluggish all over. You don't even have to import any file just open a new project and try to click trough windows or the top menus it hangs every couple clicks. it is lagging every 5 to 10 seconds. I also installed it for the first time on a new MBP retina and there are no problems at all.

There is also a problem with 2015 I can not connect to the libraries it says ''something went wrong'' ''failed to initialise'' but the MBP retina with the 2015 loads the libraries without a problem. Do you guys have this kind of bug too? could it be that it tries to connect to the server every few seconds and hangs for a while?

After getting excited and having my 2014 project migrated into 2015 (big mistake) I had to go back to 2014 and deal with XML imports and fixing all my sequence just because there is no option in save as for an old version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 28, 2015 Jun 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump. I've tried another 3 formats including LZW TIFFS, R3D and h.264 from a 5D Mark II. It's all choppy whether it's in the source monitor or the timeline. R3D footage does playback smoothly at 1/8 res however at 1/4 or above it is useless. I can get smooth playback at 1/2 res in CC2014. Adobe, what the hell have you done?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 30, 2015 Jun 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just set my project to software renderer only and playback is much better - only 2 frames dropped rather than 100s. Don't know whether it is because my 980 Tis are not compatible with Prem yet or it's not liking the fact that there are two of them.

Can people here experiencing choppy playback tell us what GPU they have and then set the Playback engine in File > Project Settings > General to Software Only and see if that helps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌I have found that if the project is set up from new it doesn't seem to do it.

Also if if it's an old project (ie created in cc2014) you can cut and paste the entire project into a "new project" and that solves the issue.  However there are still problems in doing things this way in as much as if I preemie render the entire timeline and move one shot it seems to dump the preview files for shots next to or near the moved shot.  Hard to explain.  Let's say I have five clips side by side and I have render previewed and there is a green line at the top of the timeline.  If I move shot 3 the green ome will go red where shot three was but but will also make shot two and four also have a red line above it which means I have to render everything off again.  This did not happen in cc2014.

I have not tried any of the above with multipor video formats in one timeline.  At present both projects had had one video format in them but cutting and pasting to a new project definitely stops the choppy playback but I now have to render preview everything.  Anything with a red line simply won't play and I also had to switch off my adjustment layers with LUT's and RGB curves on them.  I'm dreading switching them back on but at least I can sort of edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get choppy playback with a new project. Have tried DNxHD 36Mbits, TIFF sequence, MPEG and RED. All choppy. If I turn the GPU renderer off it is smooth again. I've got an edit this week with splitscreen RED footage so I could really use GPU support...

Had an Adobe engineer controlling my system for an hour trying to figure it out but nothing makes any difference other than the playback engine. Premiere had been reinstalled twice, cache and preferences deleted, nVidia drivers reinstalled as well as some audio driver settings tweaked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines