• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CC 2018 is Too Slow!

Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not too pleased with the latest update of PP.  It is so slow that it is practically unusable to me.  Just trying to play my timeline with simple unmodified videos is not possible anymore as the lag is too much.  I have cleared my cache, turned down playback resolution, and tried everything I can to at least make it usable but it is just too slow.

I am running an aged PC Windows 10 workstation but I have a processor with 6 cores, 16GB of RAM, and a decent video card.  Just a few weeks ago before the 2018 update everything was fine and PP was quite peppy.  I am not sure if there is anything else I can try or not.  To me it seems like something is just bad with the latest update.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

I do recommend Cineform proxies for all H.264 media.

Work offline using proxy media |

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 135 Replies 135
Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The speed at which Premiere Pro CC 2018 opens projects is beyond unacceptable.

Even smaller projects hang with consistently when opening. Every single time. Yet somehow, creating a new project and then importing the old project that will work in seconds, all media loaded, ready to go.

Explain to me why opening a simple file has to be such an excruciating ordeal.

Such an asinine workaround for professional software that can't even open up a project without crashing, hanging, taking 15 minutes to load all media, or "Serious Error"

OSX 10.11.4

CC 2018 Latest Verison

Mac Pro 5,1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously Premiere Pro CC 2018 is the worst piece of software I've ever used. Utter garbage.

You can't open a single project without suffering multiple crashes. This isn't our system problem- it happens on Window 10, Windows 7, and Mac with consistency. Not responding, beach balls, serious errors, it's a one every time. Even the import project workaround will only work half the time. Getting a project open is like suffering the end of the world

I have never spent so much time in Task Manager and Activity Monitor force quitting things in my life.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wish we could sort out your problems, as well ... for many, 2018 is working "nominally". Flys along on my Win10 machine. I know many that are working great, and like you, know of some that sure ain't. Very .... irritating.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed. Mine was crushing for awhile, then just started to lag along. may just need to re install windows 10.. sigh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 28, 2018 Jan 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I installed a very recent Adobe PPro update and that made my performance issues even worse??!

What the heck is going on with Adobe?  Now it feels like they're just guessing at what's wrong on the performance front ... what happened?  Did the original CC 2017 PPro development team just quit or something?

Working in 4K is almost impossible, move edit head forward and then I have to wait almost 60 seconds as PPro attempts to "catch-up"?  (64GB RAM and M.2 SSDs on a 5960X)

Another huge bug is in my project windows when I try to Import (right click in project window, select Import from popup menu) and drum roll ... nothing happens for 3+ minutes (yes I waited that long), then eventually a file explorer window opens up to allow me to select a file to import ... seriously Adobe??  3 minutes just to bring up a file explorer window? (NOTE: just to open the window NOT to actually import a file).

This IS JUNK software, $50/mo for the past 2+ years for this?

I had NONE of these issues with CC 2017 so I know it's NOT my hardware and it's NOT my OS, it IS Adobe's problem for which they apparently don't have a handle on what the issue is ... maybe it relates to Spectre and Meltdown security vulnerabilities and the OS/CPU fixes that slows down everyone's PC, but even so, we're talking 300X slowdown!

This is NUTs, I can't recommend anyone use CC 2018, everyone I know (no exceptions) that does this professionally has transition BACK to CC 2017 or some other editing suite.

So whatever Adobe engineers did with your latest PP update (as of a few days ago) it's definitely made matters WORSE not better.

Rob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate that many people don't have the time to mess about with their systems, but, I just did a clean install of windows 10 on mine (not just a refresh or the other thing you can do from within windows). I now appear to have a working version of 2017 AND 2018 after some initial hiccups with 2017 (yes I did say 2017), which an un install and reinstall seemed to have cured, although it does continually ask me to install the Doby codec. I also have only put the bare minimum of other programs on.

I am now praying this is a permanent fix, as I tried to do this before with a windows 10 refresh and it appeared to work for a while but gradually got wordse and worse until it froze and had to be shut down using the Task manager, whilst 2017 was working fine.

If this has not cured the problem permanently .......I'll be back to tell!

and probably off to see Mr Da Vinci 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2018 Apr 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me. Going on 5 minutes now to right-click import into the project folder. It’s driving me crazy. Did you find a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My solution was just to go back to working from PP '17 and wait until Adobe sorts this mess out before using 18 again! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled and re-installed the entire Creative Cloudsand trashed all preferences. Seems to be pretty solid so far. Might want to give that a try. It's a pain and takes time but not nearly the amount of time I was losing every day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2018 Jan 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe premiere cc 2018 mts files import slow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happened with me too,

i fix it for me by going to Edit>preferences>Playback> i disabled Adove DV and everything under that

i hope it will work for you too,

what i think what this basically do is playing timeline and playing back the timeline to external sources like NDI & other stuff

12.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had same issue, and it started to lag and work slow once I plugged in webcam. Once I disconnect webcam from PC it start working as normal straight away.

Hope that helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the 2018 version update was made by the intern on a Friday afternoon just before going down the pub.

I've uninstalled it and gone back to the 2017 version and that works just fine, and I suggest anyone else who is having issues, which is pretty much everyone I know in the industry who uses it, to do the same until they've sorted out the myriad issues with this most recent version. 

I hope someone from Adobe is reading these posts, cos they really need to sort this out!

C

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

updatet to a newest version today. I´m on the new imac pro. Was able to playback red 6k material easily before. Now can´t play back even on 1/4 resolution!!!!! Whats wrong???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2018 Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found out that closing all the bins, saving and then re-opening the project helps! The issue seems to be in loading the thumbnails at launch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe seems to be totally silent on this. This software is practically unusable. Resolve is running circles around CC at this point.

I have playback issues with FULLY RENDERED SEQUENCES. Resolve plays back un-rendered 4k raw.

What is the deal Adobe? The last 2 releases have been full of bugs and memory leaks. We're trying to get some damn work done!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes they have been which doesn't bode well for us end users.  The latest release did appear to at least fix a bug with Importing content where only the audio information was imported and not the video information.  But agree that performance in the 2nd update is now even worse than before on very high end hardware.

I think what is most troubling is that CC 2017 didn't have this problem on the exact same video content.  Does anyone know what's "New" in CC 2018 that could have triggered such drastic drop in performance?  And, is there any way to disable whatever it was that Adobe added/updated?  Even working on standard HD (1080p) is slow ... if I move the timeline mark forward to min video, I have to wait about 10-15 seconds until I can play from the new position.

I've tossed more RAM at it (128GB), faster M.2 SSDs, faster GPUs, faster CPUs and nothing makes any difference which is very puzzling.  Many of the editors I've worked with have either gone back to CC 2017 (not upgraded) or moved onto another platform.  On my "test" editing PC, I keep coming back to it after each update to see if anything has improved on the performance front but sadly it seems to be getting worse with each update.

I've gone thru Adobe's "feedback" process many many times and haven't heard a single word back from Adobe. All the reports I've seen indicate Adobe is financially "healthy" so I'm lost as to why PP 2018 is in such bad shape?

If you google search "adobe premiere pro cc 2018 performance problems" you'll see a huge number of hits with many others having the same type of performance problems.  I've tried EVERYTHING and even going as far as re-installing my OS from scratch and re-installing Adobe CC suite, Proxy editing didn't help, changing render from hardware to software didn't help, etc. etc.

Premiere Pro CC 2017 / 2018 Lag Fix - YouTube

SPEED UP Your Video Editing With This Workflow Trick in Premiere CC - YouTube

Still a no go for me.  But I didn't have to do ANY of this in CC 2017 ... so what happened in CC 2018 to trigger this problem?

Cheers, Rob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2018 May 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know what's "New" in CC 2018 that could have triggered such drastic drop in performance? 

I'm catching up with newer posts to this tread.

Rob, in regards to your question about what changed between 2017, the 1st release of 2018 and the most recent version of 2018, yes, there is something major that changed with the April update to CC2018: QuickTime files are now supported directly within the Adobe video applications rather than at the operating system level.  It's a result of Apple having announced the deprecation of QuickTime as a system driver for time based media back in 2013 with the intention of eventually discontinuing it.

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a result of Apple having announced the deprecation of QuickTime as a system driver for time based media back in 2013 with the intention of eventually discontinuing it.

-Warren

Hello Waren,

Hello Rob,

If Apple says 2013, we'll stop Quicktime, Thay have given ADOBE plenty of time to change engine there, right?

Wy does ADOBE need to change the codec engine in a running CC2018 version?

Wy test ADOBE before nit this engine, so we have no problems?

There are other online companies such as AUTODESK

with some versions of a setting to work with an old engine or the new engine.

But AUTODESK does not sleep so long, that starts earlier,

and they are professional.

Greetings Waldorf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2018 Jul 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On El Capitan 10.11.6 I have had fairly slow performance with Premiere Pro 2018.  Create proxies does allow a smoother experience, by no means what I had in 2017 without proxies, however this IS not a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 21, 2018 Jul 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently PrPro is not well suited to Mac OS versions before 10.13 I think it is. So supposedly one would expect some performance issues.

Just what is listed in numerous places.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/R+Neil+Haugen  schrieb

Currently PrPro is not well suited to Mac OS versions before 10.13 I think it is. So supposedly one would expect some performance issues.

Hi Neil,

sorry, but ADOBE is with OS X 10.13 not faster!

The Question is wy?

The answer is not Apple!

We are not satisfied with the workstation situation at Apple!

But FinalCut X and DaVinci Resolve run good on our MAC Systems,

not so good like a big Workstation from HP or SuperMicro but good.

ADOBE run on all Systems slow.

Greetings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro 2018 is garbage and unusable for me at this point, even running from SSD on a high end PC with 64GB ram.  I wasted many hours trying to do anything with it.  At this point I think I will ditch it for a competing product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Resolve 15.  It's free, and works well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled PP 2018 and installed 2017 which has no issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines