Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CC Audio Cuts Out

Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2013 Jun 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay,

So I've switched to the new Premiere Pro CC and now my audio drops out during playback. Doesn't matter if it's an aiff, mp3, whatever. I never had this problem with Premiere Pro CS6. All files are saved to an XServe Network on OS 10.8.4. I'll have to remain using Premiere CS6 for the time being.

Also, just tested this out. I had a TIFF sequence playing with this audio. It did NOT like that. I can play the audio by itself just fine. So it seems to be a problem with playing the video file WITH the audio.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 12, 2016 May 12, 2016

Hi,

Audio dropouts:
Audio dropouts could be caused by a number of reasons, so there is no one correct answer. Typically, it is because of one of the following:

1. Insufficient computer resources (hardware not powerful enough for certain media, media files are long in duration).
  2. Materials were not ingested properly (H.264 or HEVC media needs to be transcoded or proxies created).
  3. Out of memory (memory cache is full and needs to be cleared via rebooting or otherwise).
  4. Sequence Settings for audio sam

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 367 Replies 367
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2013 Dec 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Play a youtube when your sound (randomly) falls out and it recovers the

audio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2016 Oct 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem could be that you have too many audio tracks, delete any unused tracks. this solved it for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 28, 2016 Oct 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having these audio dropout issues for a long time and have tried to ignore them, but can't any longer.

specs:

PP cc2015.4

PC Win 7 64-bit

Intel Xeon CPU E5-2620 v3 @ 2.4GHz  24 cores

48 GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti  graphics card

NVIDIA High Definition Audio

Output mapping for Adobe Desktop audio

Audiomatch Tim 1.000 seconds

The following boxes are checked: Sum multichannel outputs to mono in Source Monitor; Play audio while scrubbing; maintain pitch while shuttling; Linear keyframe thinning

The other boxes are not.

So I playback the audio on any given project (usually just a VO track and music) and it will play for a bit, then cut out. It won't start again until I stop and start the playback again. Totally random. Scrubbing a little or a lot does nothing to solve the issue.

I've read a bunch of this thread, but don't have time to read through three years of this.

All solutions welcome.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 28, 2016 Oct 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Addendum.

Actually, sometimes after the audio cuts out, it will resume even if I don't stop the playback and restart. And just to make things interesting, just now while playing something back, the music on one track cut out, but the VO kept playing for a few seconds, then cut out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2013 Dec 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The audio for Premiere Pro CS6, while dB marker SHOWS there is sound and we see waveforms in the audio files (and yes, the volume control on our machine is fine), will STOP. It does not seem to be an issue that is resolved!

The video plays and the sound will randomly stop playing. We click around different windows until it works again, but this time clicking around is not resolving this annoying reoccuring issue. We have a deadline, so any way of preventing these obstacles in this expensive program from hindering our progress would be great.

SUMMARY:

VIDEO PLAYS, SOUND WORKS. WE EDIT VIDEO OVER A COUPLE HOURS, SOUND STOPS WORKING. WE CLICK PLAY OVER AND OVER UNTIL IT WORKS. THIS KEEPS HAPPENING AND HAS NO CLEAR CAUSE. WE ARE USING A PC, WINDOWS 7, PREMIERE PRO CS6.

I expect that Adobe will not follow up with more questions to delay finding a solution. Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2015 Nov 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just happened to me overnight. This project played yesterday. Power outage overnight. The project was open. now I cant play the audio to finish my project do today,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2013 Nov 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured it out guys!  The issue is with the thumnails.  If you shrink the size of your video clips on your timeline the thumbnail images will be removed.  Playback was flawless after I did this.  I have a new 15" Retina MBP with 8 GB of ram.  Not sure why thumbnails would cause this lag/audio drop, but not experiencing the issue anymore.  I will rough cut with thumbnails on, then shrink for preview.  Annoying, but it's much better than dropping audio.  Let me know if you guys are seeing the same thing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2016 Jan 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Temporarily shrinking all the clips in the timeline worked for me. I can't believe no one else commented on this successful workaround for audio dropping intermittently in Premiere CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2016 Jan 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, this is not working for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2016 Feb 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shrinking as in lowering bit rate? Changing the sequence settings to SD or something? Please elaborate. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2013 Nov 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same problem.  The audio cuts out during playback on the timeline.  Yesterday I was having zero issues, and now suddenly the audio randomly freezes while the video continues to play.  They're mostly simple cuts, no nested sequences, a couple of dissolves.  The audio cuts out at different points every time, and pausing playback and resuming it makes the audio kick in again.  I don't understand how this can happen.  It makes it impossible to watch smoothly from beginning to end.

I'm using Premiere Pro CC 7.1.0

MacBook Pro Retina 15" (Rev. A) 16GB RAM, 750GB storage

1TB external USB 3.0 HDD

Please fix this soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2013 Dec 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems like this issue is still not resolved.

For me, it occurs far worse and worse througout an edit. I have a feeling its to do with my machine heating up because the problem seems FAR worse when the computer fan is spinning away (particularly after I add additional clip effects/adjustments).

Same spec as above:

Premiere CC, MBP (Retina) Early 2013, 16GB, SSD... OSX 10.9

This issue has also happend on another early 2012 MBP, again the computer heating up seemed to be the common link - once we allowed it to cool down for a little bit, went back and it didnt seem to trip over as much, until, the fan started spinning up and audio started cutting out randomly.

All clips are native from Canon 7D in a 1080/25P timeline - occurs with and without effects on the clip.

My next step will be to take this to an apple store... however, Adobe must atleast respond and advise whether a software issue or to do with MBP/overheating...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2013 Dec 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Recently upgraded to CC from CS5.5 which worked fine.  The first two major projects I have created with CC have been a nightmare.  The audio just cuts out randomly. It takes a while for it to come back. 

I'm noticing a pattern maybe: the timeline cursor will reach a new audio clip (usually when it has a transistion/fade up effect added to it), I hear a very loud, low pitched BEEP of BUZZ sound that lasts a fraction of a second, and then the audio completely drops out and it will take a while before it comes back in again. 

Secondly, some of my exports from these projects have audio issues; the exported video (h.264) will have stuttering sounds expoted with it.  And the sounds are usually at places in the video where I am transitioning from one audio clip to another.  Is anyone else finding that their audio drops at the start of new audio clips? I'm wondering if it has something to do with the use of transition effects in audio clips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 22, 2013 Dec 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "very loud, low pitched beep or buzz" that you report could be a bug that was introduced in the CC7.2 update and fixed in the 7.2.1 patch. Here's the thread on that issue: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1357792?tstart=0

If you've already applied the 7.2.1 patch, then you might be in the same boat as the user in this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5950359?tstart=0#5950359

As for the audio cutting out in the midst of playback, we have not yet been able to reproduce that issue in-house (as far as I know, but then I've been on vacation for a week...). Just to rule out one known scenario where this happens: are you hitting this problem with clips that were recently imported and loaded for playback before the conforming process has completed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 31, 2013 Dec 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Conform process has been completed long agom as has been for files reimported from AE and audiition. This is FAR too prevalent of a bug for you to not be able to recreate in house. I cant imagine how many bug reports have been files (I personally have filed two) and we are no closer to any resolution, yet we continue to pay monthly. I had a 16 hour edit session last night where I ran into the issue continuously in completely rendered previous (both video and audio) every few minutes. The ONLY fic was stopping playback, jumping back, and starting playback again. In did find that selecting render audio sometimes helped but in no way was a fix.

Mark, you and your team at Adobe need to to put together a team to get to the bottom of this bug and quickly. I'm frankly sick and tired of seeing updates come , fixing little things here and there, while ignoring MASSIVE issues such as this audio playback dropout. Please devote a proper team to recreating this bug and resolving it ASAP or I am afraid myself and numerous other video professionals will be forced to consider other options, as its downright embarrassing to be showcasing a final product to a client and have the audio dropout (especially when the job you did was a final audio mix).

Please don't take this as a rant, but a desperate plea for immediate assistance for a game stopping bug that has been around since CC day one. PLEASE mark this as extremely high priority

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shocked that Adobe Staff Mark Mapes has said that they can't recreate this issue.

I agree with JBowdach's attitude that this isn't a rant, but I think we'd all agree that this goes waaay beyond a traditional "bug." I'd say anything that prevents actual editing from happening, and repeatedly appears as malfunctioning (especially in front of a seated client) is simply not acceptable.

Personally, I'm going to give it one more major update and then I'll consider a rock solid editing platform of over 20 years (hint: many of us started non-linear editing years ago on this "composer")

I trust that all of you on this conversation has submitted an official Bug Report at least once.

We have to at least go through their protocal if we have any hope of change. 

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Let's all inundate them with this same issue and perhaps they'll take notice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I submitted the bug report as well.  This continues to happen to me, and it makes editing very difficult.

Here's the report I submitted, in case it helps others write their own version:

******BUG******

Concise problem statement:  Audio cuts out during playback on timeline.

Steps to reproduce bug:

1. Begin playback of edit on the timeline.

2. Audio cuts out.

3. Resume playback and audio is fixed.

Results:  Audio randomly cuts out during playback.  It never occurs in the same place.  Video continues playing back smoothly.  If I stop playback and start it again, audio returns.

Expected results:  I expect audio to play back smoothly without cutting out randomly.  All the video & audio files have been conformed, and there are no nested sequences or effects in the timeline (other than a few simple dissolves and cuts).

My editing system:

Apple 15" MacBook Pro Retina (Rev. A)

2.7GH Intel Core i7

768GB SSD

16GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M

Apple Thunderbolt Display

4TB External USB3 video storage drive

Adobe Premiere Pro CC 7.2.1 (4)

1080p 24p AVCHD footage shot with the Panasonic GH3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2014 Jan 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The audio cuts out on every machine I've tried.  Doesn't matter the configuration.  So frustating.  Talked to someone representing Adobe at NAB last year about it and the guy seemed to know what I was talking about.  Had a few things he wanted me to try. Nothing I've tried has worked.

Of course Adobe is in denial when they say they've never heard of the problem or have not been able to recreate it.

It's a problem that's rampant in the Premiere community. Of course they know it exists.

Gonna have to jump ship and give FCP X a go.  I've never had this issue with any other editor.

Nothing is more embarrassing than to keep telling the client I have to stop and start the vid again just to get the audio to become audible.

Whatever version adobe is using where they can't recreate the issue, I want that one!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2014 Jan 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have two machines that we use Premiere Pro CC regularly (every day) and it only happens on one (constantly).  That machine has an external monitor and mixer using AJA Kona card and the OS is 10.7.5. and has 16G of RAM. The machine that is not having the problem has an external audio box (Focusrite) which is connected by USB, but no external video monitor.  That computer is running 10.8.5 and has 16G of RAM.  We need to fix this ASAP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ever since I switched to Premiere Pro beginning with CS6 and now CC I have had this problem.

I'm on a retina Macbook Pro 2012, 2.6 Ghz, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Nvidia GT 650M 1024 MB, running 10.8.4.

and PP CC is version 7.1.0

I encounter this problem constantly playing back my timeline whether there is one single longer clip or many short clips in a finished project. It seems rednering the timeline from in to out helps, but once I stop the playback and continue it is cutting out audio again.

I have no idea how to go around this and I never had any problems with FCP 7 and previous versions.

I am strongly considering learning FCPX, because this is quite embarrasing knowing some amatuer with imovie does not have this problem, whereas the pro with a professional app cannot simply playback audio in his timeline.

Adobe please do something about it. There is no way in hell you guys cannot replicate this bug. If you want I can upload a video clip showing the exact behavior of PP CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the specs of the footage you are working with? A lot of people are talking about computer specs but I'd love to know more about the media to see if there is any commonalities.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using a variety of sources, mainly to try and narrow down the issue. I've done projects completely using native h264 straight from my Canon DSLR. I've used CIneform transcodes using GoPro Studio from the H264 for smoother editing. I've tried transcoding to DNxHD as a high quality intermediate coded as well, without any improvement. Ironically enough, I've had the best results using straight native h264. Yes, i did create a new proper sequence for each set of clips (DSLR sequence for H264, Cineform 2d for Cineform, DNxHD sequence for Avid).

As this issue seems to be in Macs, PCs, CS6, CC v7-v7.0.2, various video codecs (h264 to ProRes), I'm highly speculative of EVERY "cause" expect for a bug in Premiere. At this point, I feel like Adobe and sokme other users are simply poiinting towards others things and saying  "it could be (audio conforming), etc" wihtout there being any real possibility of that being the issue based on the bug reports and feedback in this forum.

Its extremely simple: this thread is full of paying monthly subscribers who have a very wide variety of software and hardware configuartions having the EXACT same issue, going back months, with little to no feedback from Adobe besides "we can't recreate this issue". Frankily, this complete lack of customer support combined with such a major bug is pathetic. As a company charging a monthly subscription, I'm not sure this should even been allowed to continue : been aware of a major bug yet ignoring it despite customers reporting and complaining about it, while fixing minorn bugs and adding additional features to please the "majority".

Intel i5 qua core 4.2 Ghz

16GBs RAM

256GB SSD OS\APPS

2TB 7200RPMs x2 MEDIA

660 GTX 2GBs (968 CUDA cores)

24in x 2 Samsung

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2014 Jan 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried changing the Preferences in Premiere to use the system audio settings, rather than the AJA Kona card, and it's playing fine.  It means that we can't use an external video monitor but it's worth it to be able to play a video through without audio dropping!  I wonder if it has something to do with the Kona card or drivers?  I tried chatting with Adobe support and they didn't have any answers except to try transcoding the video to MPEG 2...??? Then, they dropped the chat. Adobe, please look into this problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2014 Jan 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so I'm not sure if this needs to go on a different thread or not, but my audio crisis with Premiere is actually getting worse. The audio cutting out randomly is now being supplemented with loud clicks  whenever the playhead is dropped to a different point on the timeline (When audio is enabled  for scrubbing). It also randomly happens whenever the playhead reaches a new clip on the timeline, insanely annoying whether I am wearing headphones or not. Crossfades are also still posing an issue and the 7.2.1 update didn't fix, but I know there is a seperate discussion for that so I won't go further into this. Lastly, every time I resume playback from a paused status, ie. whenever I push the spacebar, I get the loud click. I have no idea how to describe this better, it just doesn't make sense. The click is like dropping a needle hard on a record player kind of sound.

The audio clips play fine with no clicks in the source window, it's only when they are put on the timeline that everything goes haywire.

I am quite frustrated with the performance of basic audio playback in premiere. It's killing my ears and my patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2014 Jan 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just one more glitch on top of all the others. Ok that's it I finally just gave in and rolled back to 7.1 and it's the only thing that has kept me sane. Besides the increased audio dropouts,My timeline for a one hour docu got so unbearably slow after the 7.2 update that I thought my computer was about to croak. But it's not my machine it's PP. I reverted back to 7.1 and all is well. I'm glad to see my monthly payments are going towards the finest R&D. Welcome to the new paradigm. We are the beta testers. This is how it's been going with more and more companies (Red, Black Magic, Apple FCPX) The time that I have wasted based on this socalled update which only seems to have broken more than it fixed, is beyond reason. I don't mind being a beta tester I just don't like being charged a premium to have that job. The threads are growing fast with complaints and Adobe is pretty quiet but if anyone is like me then they are under a year contract to see this thing through. It's sort of a probation period to see how truly beneficial the CC concept really is. I really want adobe to succeed. But if this is how it continues then the choice is obvious. Not only do we want fresh updates in order to justify the rental of software but we also want feedback. We want someone to actually say somethign on this thread like "So sorry we are trying to figure it out. We want to feel part of a community and not ignored. You get that from a small company since they know they have to  show they care in order to survive. The problem with CC is there's such a huge amount of Apps that when one is having glitches such as Premiere it's low on the list of Priorities. Even if they were to lose every professional editor it's probably a drop in the bucket next to their Photoshop/Illustrator/Designer customer base.  it won't really effect thier bottom line. I'm just curious. I've heard some ranting on this thread and I'm equally guilty but I really want to know what other editors are going to do if these current issues are not addressed. Feel free to speak your mind. No one at the top is listening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines