• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

preview file ignores playback quality

LEGEND ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am using preview files (render in to out) to get better playback, and I use high quality prores 422 as my preview format in the sequence settings so I can render previews eventually and save time. this works great but one annoying thing - I am working with high resolution, and I set my playback resolution to 1/4 or even 1/8, but when it reaches the rendered preview section in the timeline - it's always high quality... meaning I get a jump in resolution, and the playback is still choppy (it's trying to playback high res 422). is there a way for me to force premiere to playback everything at lower res? seems to me - this is the way it should work.

thanks

TOPICS
Editing , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

This is something we need to address. If you can find this in UserVoice, please add your vote (I tried a quick serch and could not find one, but seems like something more folks would bring up). If you cannot find one, please add a new request.

I did find an internal record, so I will add this post to it.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, Roei, been a while!

PrPro has always seemed to use preview files as-is. I think that's the way it's coded.

Which works fine if you're using smaller res framesize for previews or if the export expectation is UHD or less, so you make UHD or smaller previews. This would be for using the previews in a "smart export" process.

But is gonna hammer you if you make previews in 6k/8k to match originals, ain't it?

One of numerous things that probably need re-thinking.

@Kevin-Monahan , is my thinking matching yours on this?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are Neil 🙂 thanks for the response. Guess I should try asking for it in beta/pre-release. This just seems wrong. If I want 1/4 res playback, I don't want it to jump

to full - it's distracting... and of course playback is a problem. And I want previews at final quality so I could use them..  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know, right?

The first time I had some 6k and ran into this, I found it bizarre. Then on thinking, went ... oh, I'll be that high-k counts weren't considered back when this was designed.

Time to re-think methinks.

@TrentHappel 

@WesHowellPPro 

Any thoughts, guys?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the most painful issue in Premiere, which concerns the quality of playback. The higher the quality, the longer the delay will be when playing. My opinion, Adobe developers, should in the near future and not only in the near future, but also throughout improve the quality of media playback, shot with high-quality codecs with a 4:2:2 subcriding.This format will soon come and replace the current 4:2:0. What then??? The raw material on the timeline should fly back and forth without any jerks and jumps. Everything should be smooth. Why can't this be done as a priority??? This is the most frequent question and problem of many Adobe users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Playback is always something the developers are working on. One of a billion things that are always in process. We users just want it to be an immediate process ... because, why not?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is something we need to address. If you can find this in UserVoice, please add your vote (I tried a quick serch and could not find one, but seems like something more folks would bring up). If you cannot find one, please add a new request.

I did find an internal record, so I will add this post to it.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Trent!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks trent, one of the problems of uservoice, is that there are scattered bugs and features that could be the same but it's hard to organize them. so there could be 12 requests asking the same thing, with 5 votes each. some of these issues, can be addressed in a dedicated platform for power users like pre-release where it can get special attention without needing to advance in rating/popularity vote platform. I will post this issue on both user voice and pre-release. 

here's the uservoice post: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/44146464-preview-file-ignor...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upvoted your UserVoice request, Roei!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2021 Nov 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So that is correct in premiere pro?

I was just trying to change mine on a proxy file as the quality didn't match the original and I thought I must've changed a setting somewhere or messed something up

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines