• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RENDER PROBLEM - AME and Premiere Pro CC causing random horizontal lines on H.264 Renders

Contributor ,
Mar 07, 2014 Mar 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got the new mac pro with freshly installed, up to date software, so of course something isn't working right...

When exporting batches of H.264s from Premiere Pro CC using AME, I get random horizontal lines on screen for most videos. (see below image for a clear example of one of these random horizontal bugs. the line below the logo is the issue)

Screen Shot 2014-03-07 at 8.46.37 AM.png

Tried restarting the app a few times, which gave me a clean render here and there, but mostly the issue persists and it's taking me forever to produce clean renders. I notice this problem less when exporting straight from the timeline in Premiere Pro, but alas it still happens.

This random issue is catastrophic for my workflow. Help?!

[Text formatting corrected.  Please type your posts directly into the forums, as copy/paste often leaves unwanted code throughout.]

Message was edited by: Jim Simon

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 879 Replies 879
Adobe Employee ,
May 29, 2014 May 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jesse,

Updating a version of OpenCL refers to the OS in this case. Eric Bowen of ADK says that, "So far word on the 10.9.4 Beta [is that it] fixes the issues with Premiere." Here's the post: Re: 10.9.3 newMacPro GPU broken : Adobe Premiere Pro

I know you weren't running OS X 10.9.3 when the issues started, but I hope the next OS X update solves your issue. Since you've repeatedly had this issue, you might want to have your computer looked at by Apple, as well.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2014 May 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Kevin! this few past hours the way you communicate seems fair to us...But man, we 've been struggling here and no one at adobe responded...of course back them when people are happy yes... So, I am glad you are saying something at least to us...A lot of us here spent 7k to have a dream premiere pro Workflow. We love Adobe! we just want to fix the problem...a lot of us are having it, and I remember back in March when I mentioned this, I sounded like the black sheet with a defect Mac Pro, and here we are now...All Struggling with Renders with 4k RED RAW exports, Horizontal Lines, etc etc etc

Keep us posted man... any update is good, so we do not make stupid decisions...

Thanks

Alain M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 30, 2014 May 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JesseSchluntz wrote:

AMD's chief engineer claims the cards are fine and Adobe needs to get OpenCL 2.0 running.

Before folks get to spun up about OpenCL 2.0 versus 1.2, note: 10.9.3 still has OpenCL 1.2, not 2.0.  So it's not up to Adobe to update anything as far as support for OpenCL 2.0.  On OS X:

$ grep CL_VERSION /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework/Versions/A/Headers/cl.h

#define CL_VERSION_1_0                              1

#define CL_VERSION_1_1                              1

#define CL_VERSION_1_2                              1

Note that 1_2 (ie: 1.2) is listed as the most recent OpenCL version.

If we look at the version 2.0 cl.h file downloaded from Khronos and do the same grep, we see:

$ grep CL_VERSION cl.h

#define CL_VERSION_1_0                              1

#define CL_VERSION_1_1                              1

#define CL_VERSION_1_2                              1

#define CL_VERSION_2_0                              1

See that a #DEF for CL_VERSION_2_0 is in place?  It doesn't exist on the cl.h file on OS X.  OS X is still at OpenCL 1.2.  The AMD "chief engineer" that so-and-so supposedly talked to doesn't quite know what he's talking about, it seems.

(For folks that don't understand but are interested in what I just looked at:  the files in /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework are the OpenCL application libraries, header files, and whatnot.  Those are the files needed to write OpenCL-capable applications (such as Pr)).

Based on the findings, it's likely that Apple ninja-patched the OpenCL 1.2 libraries, and ended up making them worse.  And that's what Pr and AME are likely tripping over.  If folks who are beta testing 10.9.4 are to be believed: this problem goes away.

Don't waste time replacing your cards.  And I'd suggest to stop pestering Adobe to "update to OpenCL 2.0" when OS X doesn't support it (yet).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers for the info Jason. You obviously have a deeper knowledge of the nuts and bolts involved.

Anybody body know when 10.9.4 is due out? I've got lots of work next month that openCL will be a huge help with!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jason Van Patten wrote:

JesseSchluntz wrote:

AMD's chief engineer claims the cards are fine and Adobe needs to get OpenCL 2.0 running.

Before folks get to spun up about OpenCL 2.0 versus 1.2, note: 10.9.3 still has OpenCL 1.2, not 2.0.  So it's not up to Adobe to update anything as far as support for OpenCL 2.0. 

Thanks, Jason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem exist and I'm not sure who's fault it is or who needs to fix things.   All I know, as an Apple and Adobe user, is that I expect these huge companies to provide software and hardware that works and works without glitches.   I also expect these companies to be courteous with their customers and show some interest in situations like these.   I'm feeling very let down by this situation.

Please Adobe, acknowledge the problem and let us know what you are doing to fix it.  If you (Adobe) believe it is Apple's fault then please tell us what you, together with Apple are doing to solve these problems.

I have my MacPro 12 core with D700 cards at tekserve in NY for them to change the cards.   And today I went there to find out that they are still doing tests on the computer and that they had not found anything wrong yet.

While being there I tested one of their display models, an 8 core with D500 cards and premiere installed.  Using footage that they already had in the computer (various codeqs) I actually managed to make it crash once while rendering.  Then I managed to make it render with the horizontal flickering lines.

Basically, I'm now sure the problem is not limited to just a few of us, and I know it happens in Premiere Pro.

So please Adobe, please Apple and AMD, stop pointing fingers and work together and inform us about what is happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello MaoSoto,

MaoSoto wrote:

The problem exist and I'm not sure who's fault it is or who needs to fix things.  

As Jason Van Patten indicated in a previous post, this issue has to do with OS X 10.9.3. Apparently, the issue is fixed with the upcoming version of OS X 10.9.4.

MaoSoto wrote:

All I know, as an Apple and Adobe user, is that I expect these huge companies to provide software and hardware that works and works without glitches.

I understand your expectation and, of course, we strive to do that.

MaoSoto wrote:

I also expect these companies to be courteous with their customers and show some interest in situations like these.   I'm feeling very let down by this situation.

I'm sorry you feel that we haven't participated in this conversation or have been discourteous. I have responded a number of times and reported the incident to our engineering department, and a Quality Engineer has also participated in this thread.

MaoSoto wrote:

If you (Adobe) believe it is Apple's fault then please tell us what you, together with Apple are doing to solve these problems.

I can't speak specifics, sorry. However, we continue to be in constant communication with all our partners about customer issues, including Apple.

MaoSoto wrote:

Basically, I'm now sure the problem is not limited to just a few of us, and I know it happens in Premiere Pro.

Thanks for testing that out. I imagine all those computers are running OS X 10.9.3, so I can understand if they exhibit the same issue.

MaoSoto wrote:

So please Adobe, please Apple and AMD, stop pointing fingers and work together and inform us about what is happening.

Sorry this is happening to you. I hope that the OS X update will solve your issues and you'll be back up and running with hardware acceleration ASAP. Keep in mind that you can downgrade OS X to a previous version and you should have hardware acceleration functioning, but not sure you wish to do that.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

Thanks a lot for replaying to this.  I really appreciate it.

As you might have noticed this thread started before 10.9.3.  The horizontal flickering lines actually started happening on 10.9.2.  The lines used to be thiner and not so noticeable, but they were there.   Updating to 10.9.3 made the lines way more noticeable.

There might really be an issue with the OS but there has also been an issue with Premiere from even before. Please let that know to the engineering team.

Again, I'm really grateful that you are now participating here and for keeping us updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

No problem.

MaoSoto wrote:

As you might have noticed this thread started before 10.9.3.  The horizontal flickering lines actually started happening on 10.9.2.  The lines used to be thiner and not so noticeable, but they were there.   Updating to 10.9.3 made the lines way more noticeable.

Let's hope that OS X 10.9.4 solves the issue introduced in 10.9.2. They both have the same version of OpenCL.

MaoSoto wrote:

There might really be an issue with the OS but there has also been an issue with Premiere from even before. Please let that know to the engineering team.

The engineering team has been investigating the issue, so they definitely know.

MaoSoto wrote:

Again, I'm really grateful that you are now participating here and for keeping us updated.

Sure, no problem!

Have a good weekend,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2014 Jun 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just purchased a brand new Mac pro fully loaded 12 core maxed ram and 2 cinema displays along with a new one year subscription to Adobe CC. I noticed very apparent issues immediately after I got everything hooked up and running. First and foremost- I am having choppy playback of video and audio (Using Canon 5D footage) and that on a 12 core Mac and a Thunderbolt 2 RAID. It is extremely frustrating and difficult to edit footage that plays back choppy and glitchy and almost impossible to edit audio that is intermittently dropping out.

I also cannot render my timeline/ sequence (it locks up- no progress) and when I export to AME it takes forever to link and load. I'm also having a weird issue where my audio won't play back through my external speakers coming from line-out of the Mac. Sometimes it plays and sometimes not.

I have tried all the suggested fixes: turning off GPU acceleration, etc. The problems persist!

I have spent quite a bit of time talking to Adobe and Apple regarding these issues. ADOBE is not much help. Two of the three techs I spoke to just told me they were aware of some issues but had no idea when it would be fixed. They shared my screen with me- they saw the issues and had no fixes. The third tech actually tried to do something but was unable to troubleshoot the issue. He was going to look further into the issue and call me back- but I have not heard from him.

I finally spoke to someone high up at Apple. His name is Adam Mason (a CPU Senior Advisor) He told me what no one else did (or would) that the issue was recent- apparently started after the last Mac OS update. It's an issue with the Firepro D700 graphics card and Premiere. He said it has a high priority because a LOT of (new) Mac Pro users are complaining. I just hope the fix happens soon and solves ALL of my issues not just one. I see a lot of people posting about rendering issues but no one has mentioned the choppy playback issues I am having!

The bottom line is I cannot edit professionally on this system and I have reverted back to my 2008 Mac Pro running a 3GB eSata RAID on Premiere Pro CS6. The footage plays back smoothly and I don't have any issues. This has been my salvation- nothing can ruin your reputation and business as fast as not meeting your deadlines!

As you can imagine I am very upset and disappointed with this situation. I have more than $15,000 invested including Thunderbolt peripherals and 2 new Thunderbolt Apple Cinema displays....and it's essentially a paperweight! I am considering returning the Mac Pro and getting a refund on Creative Cloud and waiting until all this mess is fixed before I order another Mac Pro again.

At the very least Adobe should be giving me credit for my subscription until I can actually use it. I paid for a year of CC and who knows when I will start using it?

I just want a straightforward answer from Adobe and Apple and AMD since they are the ones working on it as to when I can expect PERFECT and I do mean perfect performance from their software on the new Mac Pro. I will not accept anything less!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Such a bummer jim. I've been in your position on a major documentary edit when my gear kept crashing. Had apple and 2 other drive companies pointing fingers and spent weeks figuring out the problem myself.

the only reason I can work is that I haven't upgraded premiere pro CC or my OS, so I'm able to work without OpenCL and at least get my work done. If you are able to downgrade to the former version of each, you may be in my position with your new Mac Pro, which is at least functional via your CPU.

Still no fixes. What year is this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jesse- I'm surprised you are not experiencing issues. Are you using a (new) Mac Pro? The reason I ask- I loaded PP CS6 onto my new Mac Pro to see if it would operate normally as it does on my 2008 Mac PR0. It does not act normally. It also has stuttery playback of video and intermittent audio cutting out.

Is anyone else on this thread having stutery playback issues? I'm curious becasue no one has mentioned it.

Also please let me know- those of you who have owned the new Mac Pro since it came available for purchase (I believe back in October 2013) Hove you had any stuttery playback issues and rendering issues when you first got your new Mac Pro or was it only recently that these issues appeared? and if so when?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

You didn't mention horizontal lines in your outputs, so could you please create your own post? Though your issues are important, I don't want to go off thread here.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am seeing horizontal lines also during the playback. Sometimes. Not constant though. On export almost everytime with Open CL

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin- Yes the lines I am experiencing are intermittent and happen during playback in the sequence. They appear quickly and disappear just as fast. They are more pronounced when acceleration is on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2014 May 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same horizontal lines problem for me as well with H.264 encoding. I encoded ProRes no problem with this particular long-form (about 35 min) sequence. But the H.264 definitely showed it. I'm using "queue" to AME 7.2.2 with PP CC. I've got the new Mac Pro with 32GB RAM and dual D700's with 6GB VRAM.

Can someone from Adobe chime in here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2014 Jul 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

try to install 10.9.4,

and to follow the guidelines from this post:

www.forums.adobe.com/message/6486456#6486456

It worked for me on new MacPro 6core with d500's...

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bobansky, can't get that link to work. Could you post the text from that link into this thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the finder menu click and hold on the GO menu.

Hold the option button and the User library will show up.

Click the User Library.

In that folder go to preferences and find the adobe folder.

Right click on adobe folder and click get info.

In the Sharing & Permissions section there should be three names. All should say Read & Write next to them.

Unlock the lock, switch them all to read and write. Then click on the little gear directly under the names or to to the left of the lock and in the pulldown click on "apply to enclosed items. Then lock the lock again.

Now go to your OS Hardrive and click on Users, your user name, Documents.

Find the adobe folder there. Right click on adobe folder and click get info. In the Sharing & Permissions section there should be three names. All should say Read & Write next to them.

Unlock the lock, switch them all to read and write. Then click on the little gear directly under the names or to to the left of the lock and in the pulldown click on "apply to enclosed items.

The lock the lock again.

Wait 1 minute.

Then launch Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2014 Jul 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again: WARNING!

The update did NOT fix it for me.

I uploaded a short demo of an export showing the issue:

Dropbox - Export Test.mp4

Make sure to download the clip, instead of viewing it in Dropbox, as the preview is massively compressed.

If you download the clip, you'll notice the thin horizontal artifacts.

Many here seem to experience better results with 10.9.4 - sadly not us. So either we are having other issues, or you got lucky...

Either way: 10.9.4 is NOT A FIX for our issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi parcyvall ....

Is it happening with any file And any output format, or only h264?

Is it the same with GPU render on and off?

DO you have same result when exporting from Premiere directly, and trough AME?

Are you using some specific plugin?

iI've got the similar artifacts before when I was exporting some 10 bit uncompressed mov to h264.....

Cheers from Bahrain!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey BobanskyBh,

it is not restricted to any file or codec... Originally I transcoded a R3D file to ProRes, but other file formats are affected as well.

It is though restricted to GPU render. If I turn that off, the files render just fine, though painfully slow!

This example used the Media Encoder for rendering (I queued the file from within Premiere).

I didn't use any plugin. This example is the file (not even a sequence) rendered with a Lumetri LUT applied from the export menu, but even without that the lines are occurring.

I'm thankful for any idea you might have!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Parcyvall,

Just a thought and a few things that helped me.  You might have done all of them but just worth a check if not.

1.  Clear cache

2.  Repair disk permissions, I did this three times before i was all set.

3.  Reset preferences

4.  Now this was important for me, Check and double check all your preview and render files.  I had some that were still there from past crashes and they were trying to process with the software closed.  Toss them and empty the trash.  Also make sure location for video, audio, autosave, previews, renders are in a location you want and matches the actual locations.

5.  Then shut off and start up three times each with two min between.  Apple had me do this last time I had problems and they say it sets a internal clock of some sort that helps.  Not restart, I am talking shut off and let sit.

I did all of these things and it put me on track to get out of Software only render and be productive again.  Still loads of bugs in this software but at least now I am working.

Hope something here helps you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Boru,

thanks a lot for the suggestions! I went through all your recommended steps to make sure the issue is not on my end.

Cleared my cashes, fixed the disk permissions, reset my preferences, created a new project to ensure no old render files excist, shut off my machine for several times (including unplugging it)...

I used other files this time, just to make sure it is not the files causing it (though they rendered finde without GPU).

And AGAIN issues...

Thank you very much, for your suggestions though!

Anyone else still having problems?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi...

when you try to export that file from RED CINE is it ok??

Are you familiar with Davinci Resolve?
Try to export from Resolve, as it uses GPU's for debayering...maybe your GPU's are broken???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines