Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Subtitles don't go white

Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2016 Dec 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone !

Just exported subtitles from a Premiere project, they were configured in white in my timeline, but when I read them into VLC, they appear in purple. Even if I change the color in VLC. Does anyone have a solution for this ?

Thanks a lot !

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

Thanks for the screenshot it helps a lot!

Is this your color?

Screen Shot 2016-12-12 at 2.10.26 PM.png

If it is, try running "Find & Replace" to replace all instances of #AAAAAAFF with #FFFFFF.

Here's what I think is happening...

VLC can read basic HTML attributes <b> for bold text, <u> for underlined text, <font color=#hexValueCode> hard-coded subtitle text</font>. Sounds like Premiere is adding in a couple extra characters (usually hexValues for colors are 6 characters, not 8) to allow Transparent Text.

VLC is only reading the last 6 char

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Subtitles, or captions?  (They're not the same.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To help the OP, please be more specific in how captions and subtitles are different — e.g., open vs. closed captions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 09, 2016 Dec 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please be more specific in how captions and subtitles are different

Subtitles are just titles at the bottom of the screen.  They're created using the title tool.

Captions, both Open and Closed, are a different thing entirely.  (And not something I would be able to help with.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello guys !

To be more specific, let me show you the specs of my timeline... Sorry it's french but I guess you'll get it anyway

Capture d’écran 2016-12-09 à 09.22.23.png

Capture d’écran 2016-12-09 à 09.22.35.png

Thanks a lot, that could save my life !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And you're exporting an .srt caption sidecar file?

Have you double-checked your VLC "OSD/Subtitle" defaults to make sure Font Colors isn't set to purple?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is an .srt file exactly !

And that is the first thing I checked, both VLC and Premiere captions are set to white...

This thing is really causing me headaches !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely odd, .srt files should only contain the numbered order, in/out timecode & subtitle text:

00:20:41,150 --> 00:20:45,109

How did he do that?

Can you post a screenshot of the beginning of the .srt file (opened in Notepad/TextEdit) & the purple subtitles w/ OSD settings in VLC?

I'm wondering if there's an HTML line at the beginning like <font color=7133FF>, or it might just be a bug.

By the way, are you on CC 2015.4 or CC 2017?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a screenshot, you're right there's an HTML line !

Capture d’écran 2016-12-12 à 19.35.27.png

And I'm on CC2017

Thx a lot !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the screenshot it helps a lot!

Is this your color?

Screen Shot 2016-12-12 at 2.10.26 PM.png

If it is, try running "Find & Replace" to replace all instances of #AAAAAAFF with #FFFFFF.

Here's what I think is happening...

VLC can read basic HTML attributes <b> for bold text, <u> for underlined text, <font color=#hexValueCode> hard-coded subtitle text</font>. Sounds like Premiere is adding in a couple extra characters (usually hexValues for colors are 6 characters, not 8) to allow Transparent Text.

VLC is only reading the last 6 characters, so it thinks you want purple subtitles instead of white ones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanx for this!!!

It solved this HEX color situation for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2016 Dec 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jax24135 ! Thank you for your answer !

Can I do a find and remplace in Premiere ? Or I have to run another program for it ?

Thx a lot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use TextEdit if you're on a Mac, or Notepad if you're on Windows to fix the .srt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I corrected the first three dialogues, is this correct ? It's pretty long so I wouldn't like to do it for nothing!

Capture d’écran 2016-12-13 à 19.04.23.png

Thanks for the help guys !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That should be one way of doing it.

Hit "Save" for your modified srt, restart VLC and bring in the video/captions again. See if the color changes back to white.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly, I was thinking of just running the "Find & Replace" option to replace all #AAAAAAFF with #FFFFFF

Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 1.30.59 PM.png

running TextEdit/Notepad >>Find >> Find & Replace All

Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 1.31.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 1.31.40 PM.png

And let your computer do the work for you. There shouldn't be any dialogue with #AAAAAAFF, so you should be safe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aaaaannnnd... It's working !

Thanks a lot guys !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines